Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
hey guys, just like the title suggests. what do you guys think.

I enjoyed the anime and the cards very much when I was younger, and a lot of people seemed to think the game was going down hill when they introduced synchro cards. even though I still liked it, I even liked the xyz cards though many people hated them. although I'll admit it was annoying that the moment they introduced xyz it felt like everything had to revolve around them. very little support for anything other than xyz came out. but now pendulum cave come out does anybody feel the game is getting a, very gimmicky, and b, just changing to drastically.

I've asked my local game store who used to hold loads of events but they've flat out told me that yugioh is dead, nobody shows up for events and they sell way more magic or vanguard than yugioh. so what do you guys think?
maybe it's just your location, I know a few places that the yugioh turnout remained constant

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The answer is pretty much yes/no.

Yes, it is dying in the fact that few if any players can return without a stigma attached. I'm not talking like skipping a week but more like a few to five years of absence. Is Random Joe working a 9 to 5 job, going to spend his weekends playing the game? Are parents interact with their children with this game? In my opinion, the game is pretty much stuck in the Middle School to College range.

No, it will remain strong as long as the anime series exists, similar to how the WOW TCG remained a thing and the Pokemon TCG. AFAIK Japanese companies (ie Konami) are more likely to retain a successful brand name for years (see tekken, gundam, etc) than a US one. As long as the money continues to flow, I expect to see this game exist for at least 10 more years, 20 if they figure out how to balance the game. Could be an aggressive ban/limited/restricted list, card culling, power creep, etc, basically figure out how to wreck Card Fight Vanguard by drawing back their player base.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I think it's just your location. There's a heck of a lot of people near me that play.

My boyfriend went to a tournament hosted by a local store and there were over 20 people that entered, we thought there would be like 8. It was one long a** tournament D:
Surprisingly, most of them were aged between 25-35, I imagined a bunch of 15-25 year olds.

I think it's maintaining a good number of people, but who knows if it'll last past the people who grew up with the original anime as children.

~ Fly over me Evil Angel ~

Dapper Dabbler

It isn't dead, at least not where I'm living. My girlfriend got me hooked and we play with a bunch of friends that are diehard about it.

Dapper Explorer

UrrStuupid
It isn't dead, at least not where I'm living. My girlfriend got me hooked and we play with a bunch of friends that are diehard about it.

Haha this is my girlfriend. And yes, we both play YuGiOh and there are a lot of people who play at the local games store.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
magnoliac
UrrStuupid

Haha this is my girlfriend. And yes, we both play YuGiOh and there are a lot of people who play at the local games store.

yeah, I think its pretty much kaput in my area. they told me so at my local game store/hang out and the other day they had a guy there from another store in the neighbouring city and he said pretty much the same thing. shame, I liked the game an all.

happy its still running smoothly in your area though.

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
[Kat.On.A.Stick]
]
20 is nowhere near alot.. thats a fairly small crowd.. our local fnm pushes 40 players every week.. yugi oh is getting less popular. at our store it gets about 8 people a week. i think the problem is the game seems evry unbalanced

Mythical Rare

Using local tournament turnouts to gauge how the game is doing as a whole is a fairly poor method. You'll get much more accurate results of how the game's doing as a whole by looking at the attendance turnouts at high-end tournaments like YCS and ARG events.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff