Welcome to Gaia! ::

I recently created a new race (for the purpose of being different), so I came up with this:
I
Bangaa characters

+2 con, -2 cha The Bangaa are rough and tough, but tend not to socialize well with others.

Hit die d8

base speed 30 ft

low-light vision 120 ft: bangaa have keen eyesight.

+2 racial bonuses on intimidate, jump, and climb checks: a bangaa can be especially imposing, and is also very capable of moving in the mountains.

+2 on fortitude saves and will saves against nonmagical (specifically spells )effects: A bangaas strong reptilian body is highly resilient, as is his strength of will, but the race rarely encounters magic in their remote mountain homes.

A bangaa is proficient with all reach weapons, These types of weapons are most commonplace in bangaa society, and nearly everyone has used them before. Bangaa have a +1 on attacks with spears and longspears.
favored class: Fighter or barbarian (can't decide... stare

Please tell me what you think. I've edited it, removing or toning down many of the bonuses.
Sanjuro_Sakakida-san
Bangaa characters

+2 or 4 str, +2 con, -2 cha The surprisingly intelligent Bangaa are rough and tough, but tend not to socialize well with others.
These modifiers arn't too bad... They're pretty much equivilent to Neanderthals (From Frostfire) perhaps a further -2 to Dex would even them out even more though.
Quote:
Hit die d10 or d8
You go on to describe them as Reptillian Humanoids... If they carry the Humanoid or If they are Monstorous Humanoid subtype, then their base HD should be D8's with no exception.. (unless they take a character Class, when the D8 is replaced by the Class HD)
Quote:
base speed 30 ft
low-light vision 90 ft: bangaa have keen eyesight.
Not exactly unbalancing.. carry on...
Quote:
+4 racial bonuses on intimidate, jump, and climb checks: a bangaa can be especially imposing, and is also very capable of moving in the mountains.
That's a large bonus by anyone's standards... reduce it to +2's, but aside from that they're ok...
Quote:
+2 on listen and spot checks: It is very difficult to sneak up on a bangaa
Those two skills are incrediably useful... so any race having a bonus on them is powerful, most races have either one or the other.. maybee the Bangaa should too...
Quote:
+2 on fortitude saves in general, +2 on will saves against nonmagical effects: A bangaa's strong reptilian body is highly resilient, as is his mind.

This is quite powerful... Try reducing the fort save to a +1,

The Will save is pretty redundent.. I cant think of any Non-Magical Situations that require Will saves off the top of my head.. (unless you are planning to incorporate Psionics) So the will save can stay, in my opinion
Quote:
A bangaa is proficient with all reach weapons, and may use a javelin in melee without the standard -4 penalty. These types of weapons are most commonplace in bangaa society, and nearly everyone has used them before. In fact, if a bangaa character would have proficiency with a non-exotic reach weapon normally, they receive weapon focus for that weapon for free. (or should it just be +1 on attacks?)

I'm afraid this section makes no sense! Races are rarely given proficency with weapons, and if they are, you can normailly count them on one hand!

Why even bother with the special Javelin ability? The -4 penalty is there to represent the frailty and fragilness of the javelin, not it's funtion in combat! Just use a spear!

No race should receive the Weapon Focus feat for free... a +1 racial bonus is more appropriate (Otherwise, one can use Weapon Focus as a 'virtual' Feat to qualify for other feats!)

Maybee give them a racial bonus and proficency with the Spear and Longspear? The one has reach and the other is more appropriate than the Javelin.
Quote:

There is a level adjustment of +1 for bangaa characters
I dont think they are powerful enough to qualify for a Level Adjustment! They are farely well balenced!
Quote:

favored class: Fighter or barbarian
They actually sound more like rangers to me!

Hope this helps!
Well, even with the +1 level bonus, I still think it's a bit powerful. Give them a d8 for HP, and if you want to do something intresting, make the characters choose one exotic weapon, and give them proficency in that and the Javalin (or some other exotic ranged weapon of their reasonable choice) and NO proficency in ANYTHING else.
Hmm?

Your taking a race from FFTA.

biggrin
Sorry to bust the bubble, but it screams overpowered overall.

If you're going to buff Ability scores by +6 or +4 (Depending on how you do Str, +2 or +4) Then you should have the negatives at either -4 or -2.

As others have said, racial HD should only be D8

Base Speed fine...

Low Light vision doesn't have a range....(but it's fine)

+4 in Intimidate, Jump and Climb? Knock it to two.

+2 to Listen and Spot ON TOP OF IT? Hell no. Go with one or the other.

+2 on two exclusively different saving throws? Jeez...go with one or drop both to two.

The javelin in melee thing is worthless. Giving proficiency with a weapon or two is fine. (See Dwarves, Half Orcs, or Elves) but to give a focus on top of that? NO!

And then you give two favored character classes?

This race would need a +2 Level Adjustment if you leave it as is. High stregnth can be too much and you've given more than just one level's worth of bonuses on top of racial bonuses. Cut it down.
PataHikari
Hmm?

biggrin
ninja
Sanjuro_Sakakida-san
PataHikari
Hmm?

biggrin
ninja

Going to do the bunnies next? (Can't remember
their name, sorry.)
simply put its not a detrement to a munchkin player to pick this as a char class and just be a tank and what fun is that ? no rp no char development just sit n swing.
I'm not going to directly comment on this because I'm not experianced at building races for DnD 3rd edition... But I do know that Str, Dex, Con are twice as important as Int, Wis, and Cha statistics wise and so for every +1 you take in one of the first three you should take a -2 in one of the later three...
Sanjuro_Sakakida-san

+2 or 4 str, +2 con, -2 cha The surprisingly intelligent Bangaa are rough and tough, but tend not to socialize well with others.

Just a minor point first, if you make it a point to mention something like "surprisingly intelligent" in a write-up for a race's traits, it seems fitting to give them a bonus to Intelligence, just nix those two words and it reads fine. Personally the way you've got it written I'd rule +2 Int, +2 Con, and -4 Cha. Of course that's just my interpretation.

And what? No culture, physical appearance, alignment tendencies, age, height/weight, typical names for males and females? C'mon!
Kasso
I'm not going to directly comment on this because I'm not experianced at building races for DnD 3rd edition... But I do know that Str, Dex, Con are twice as important as Int, Wis, and Cha statistics wise and so for every +1 you take in one of the first three you should take a -2 in one of the later three...
This is entirely dependent on the class you want to play! Str, Dex and Con can be sacrificed quite happily by Sorcorors and Wizards, who benifit entirely from high Int and Cha scores!
Galateal
And what? No culture, physical appearance, alignment tendencies, age, height/weight, typical names for males and females? C'mon!

I thought I forgot something... sweatdrop
The audience is listening then.
Well, there's a chart in the DMG I believe that details how to mess with ability adjustments.

Typically for a point of strength you need to hack dex OR int and cha, OR wis and con, etc. Take a look at it and you'll get a feel for how to mess with numbers.

With the level adjustment I'd say you can go with the stat numbers you have, the vision stuff, and the save bonuses...maybe, but that's straddling the line between a +1 and a +2, but I don't think it's good enough for 2 and too much for 1 at this point.
I edited it....but it feels a little too over the top to me...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff