Welcome to Gaia! ::

ShanoaRavendare
Pirate_Cook_Sangi
Ryll
Pirate_Cook_Sangi
The Feist
A character with a Falchion and Improved Critical can be a beast, especially with a high STR score to jack up the damage som. Also, you can do nasty, nasty things with Spike Chains.
ooo, spike chains sound like fuuuun XD i saw a picture of those things and thought "umm...how the hell are you supose to use that without killing yourself?"

Which is why Spiked Chains require the Exotic feat to weild without penalty.

My favorite weapons are flails. You can trip, disarm, and you don't have to worry about the variety of pesky foes who have damage reduction/immunity versus piercing and slashing weapons. I can't think of a single monster that is immune to bludgeoning.

Althought I'm greatly annoyed that WOTC thinks a two-handed flail (aka "Heavy" Flail) only does 1d10 damage. Bunch of bullcrap, imo. (Which is why I house rule it's damage up to d12.)
lol, well they *did* kinda invent the game so they get to make up the damage now don;t they? but its funny cause my friend has an AC of 20 x_x it took an hour for me to hit her and even then it was only for like 4 damage T-T;;;

Actually WTOC "didn't* invent the game. It originally belong to TSR and WOTC bought them out as they went out of business. If you think D&D has tough rules NOW you should see what it was like in TSR 1st edition.

Or AD&D.

I still have wonderful nightmares of THAC0...
Dread Khan

Vorpal isn't much of anything. Its overpriced for what you get.

As a DM, I would have doubts that many monsters would even die from a beheading.

I'd rather take maiming, which is much more powerful.

Its from miniatures handbook, and as I thought I stated, it gives the crit multiplier a range... from 1-8 in this case. You roll a d8 for the multiplier.

Vorpal is broken in terms of the mechanics of the game. There are defenses for most effects in D&D. Whether or not the defenses are balanced is a different discussion. Often, the more powerful the effect, the more defenses must be trumped in order to kill the other guy. There are exceptions, of course, and the exceptions are often considered powerful.

Vorpal is one of those exceptions. 5% of the time, you have a chance to immediately kill any non-constuct/aberration/plant/undead/a-few-other-types-maybe creature you hit. Armor class is the only defense, and 1 time out of every 400 rolls (or so), that won't be a defense either. Essentially, I don't like vorpal because it ignores game mechanics in order to look cool. Bah.

Yes, you did say a range. I didn't pick up on the meaning of the effect from your original post. (edit) And I'm still not convinced it's a balanced enhancement.
Peddy
Blade Dancer is a PrC from Oriental Adventures. They're kinda like Wudan swordsmen (think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) that can temporarily imbue their weapons with magical abilities. I assume the Ninja part of 'Ninja Blade Dancer' is refering to the character's original base class, in this case Ninja. I'm guessing he was using the one that appeared in the Rokugan Campaign Setting.

Slight problem though, as a Blade Dancer can only use Enchanted Blade III once per day. So he could make one of his swords gain the Dancing property, but not two.

Yes, The Blade Dancer is a very broken Prestige class from OA, and you were also correct about the ninja.

Though he IS only able to bestow dance on one weapon, it's very nice to actully have good party members who can enchant wepons themselves.

And I'll be damned, I didn't even know they changed the rules for vorpal. Awww, that takes the fun outta things.
Daelin
Dread Khan

Vorpal isn't much of anything. Its overpriced for what you get.

As a DM, I would have doubts that many monsters would even die from a beheading.

I'd rather take maiming, which is much more powerful.

Its from miniatures handbook, and as I thought I stated, it gives the crit multiplier a range... from 1-8 in this case. You roll a d8 for the multiplier.

Vorpal is broken in terms of the mechanics of the game. There are defenses for most effects in D&D. Whether or not the defenses are balanced is a different discussion. Often, the more powerful the effect, the more defenses must be trumped in order to kill the other guy. There are exceptions, of course, and the exceptions are often considered powerful.

Vorpal is one of those exceptions. 5% of the time, you have a chance to immediately kill any non-constuct/aberration/plant/undead/a-few-other-types-maybe creature you hit. Armor class is the only defense, and 1 time out of every 400 rolls (or so), that won't be a defense either. Essentially, I don't like vorpal because it ignores game mechanics in order to look cool. Bah.

Yes, you did say a range. I didn't pick up on the meaning of the effect from your original post. (edit) And I'm still not convinced it's a balanced enhancement.

Inherently, anything with regeneration or immune to critical hits is going to be immune to beheading.

The ability really isn't that great IMO, since a DM could make a valid argument that plenty of outsiders can live without a head for example (even ones without regeneration).

That would leave us with humanoid, monsterous humanoid, animal and magical beast I guess.

Maiming works out to an increase of .5 for the mulitplier on average. Its a weird effect, since when you need it you might roll a 1 with your scythe, but you could also roll that 8 when you need it. :O
Dread Khan

Inherently, anything with regeneration or immune to critical hits is going to be immune to beheading.

The ability really isn't that great IMO, since a DM could make a valid argument that plenty of outsiders can live without a head for example (even ones without regeneration).

That would leave us with humanoid, monsterous humanoid, animal and magical beast I guess.

Yes. Two things come to mind, and I am done with this tit-for-tat. One, if a DM feels the need to make a valid arguement, it's easier to just disallow the screwed up mechanic. I'll assume that since you did not refute my point, you acknowledge it.

Two, in my experience the most dangerous opponents any group will face are people just like them. 99% of the enemies that I remember, the fights I tell stories about, the best sessions, have been versus humaniod character-classed enemies. The other 1% were dragons.

In my experience, vorpal has a potential metagame effect far greater than your experience seems to reflect.

Quote:

Maiming works out to an increase of .5 for the mulitplier on average. Its a weird effect, since when you need it you might roll a 1 with your scythe, but you could also roll that 8 when you need it. :O

Yeah. I did the math. I understand the average effect, but I think that it is unbalanced against the worst case (*4 base multiple weapons). I assume (as I do not have, nor do I wish to ever use, the MiniHB), that it either caps at *4, or it messes with other effects that increase the crit multiplier. Either way, the worst-case is outside the scope of a +1 enhancement, IMO.
Dwarven Throwers are massive Hammers that when wielded by a dwarf do Exceptional Dmg... I have been known to do 60-100 dmg (highest was 140 on a nat 20 100% crit)
Lydeckar
Dwarven Throwers are massive Hammers that when wielded by a dwarf do Exceptional Dmg... I have been known to do 60-100 dmg (highest was 140 on a nat 20 100% crit)

60-100dmg?! eek Are you sure that is'nt a weapon from Diablo? sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces