Welcome to Gaia! ::

i'm still kinda a noob in D&D and only used like four wepons ever but i think i like either the sycthe my character has (does two D4 of damage) or the b*****d sword (one D10 of damage) i was just wondering if there are any other wepons-or even armer- that i should look out for
A character with a Falchion and Improved Critical can be a beast, especially with a high STR score to jack up the damage som. Also, you can do nasty, nasty things with Spike Chains.
The Feist
A character with a Falchion and Improved Critical can be a beast, especially with a high STR score to jack up the damage som. Also, you can do nasty, nasty things with Spike Chains.
ooo, spike chains sound like fuuuun XD i saw a picture of those things and thought "umm...how the hell are you supose to use that without killing yourself?"
Pirate_Cook_Sangi
The Feist
ooo, spike chains sound like fuuuun XD i saw a picture of those things and thought "umm...how the hell are you supose to use that without killing yourself?"

Which is why Spiked Chains require the Exotic feat to weild without penalty.

My favorite weapons are flails. You can trip, disarm, and you don't have to worry about the variety of pesky foes who have damage reduction/immunity versus piercing and slashing weapons. I can't think of a single monster that is immune to bludgeoning.

Althought I'm greatly annoyed that WOTC thinks a two-handed flail (aka "Heavy" Flail) only does 1d10 damage. Bunch of bullcrap, imo. (Which is why I house rule it's damage up to d12.)
Ryll
Pirate_Cook_Sangi
The Feist

Which is why Spiked Chains require the Exotic feat to weild without penalty.

My favorite weapons are flails. You can trip, disarm, and you don't have to worry about the variety of pesky foes who have damage reduction/immunity versus piercing and slashing weapons. I can't think of a single monster that is immune to bludgeoning.

Althought I'm greatly annoyed that WOTC thinks a two-handed flail (aka "Heavy" Flail) only does 1d10 damage. Bunch of bullcrap, imo. (Which is why I house rule it's damage up to d12.)
lol, well they *did* kinda invent the game so they get to make up the damage now don;t they? but its funny cause my friend has an AC of 20 x_x it took an hour for me to hit her and even then it was only for like 4 damage T-T;;;
Ryll

Balance.

A greatsword does 2d6, 19-20/x2. A greatsword has a better crit range combined with a 12-point max base damage.

A greataxe does 1d12, 20/x3. A greataxe has a smaller crit range, but a better crit multiplier, and also a 12-point max base damage.

A heavy flail does 1d10, 19-20/x2, has a disarm bonus and can be used to trip. A heavy flail has the better crit range, but trades a lower max base damage for the trip and disarm versatility.

A halberd does 1d10, 20/x3 and also has the ability to trip. It trades the disarm bonus for the ability to be set vs a charge. And it too has a lower max base damage and crit range, but the better crit multiplier.

A greatclub... just gets screwed. I honestly have no idea why greatclubs suck so much. They don't even have the advantage of being free like the club and staff do. Poor ol' greatclub.
Peddy
Ryll

Balance.

A greatsword does 2d6, 19-20/x2. A greatsword has a better crit range combined with a 12-point max base damage.

A greataxe does 1d12, 20/x3. A greataxe has a smaller crit range, but a better crit multiplier, and also a 12-point max base damage.

A heavy flail does 1d10, 19-20/x2, has a disarm bonus and can be used to trip. A heavy flail has the better crit range, but trades a lower max base damage for the trip and disarm versatility.

A halberd does 1d10, 20/x3 and also has the ability to trip. It trades the disarm bonus for the ability to be set vs a charge. And it too has a lower max base damage and crit range, but the better crit multiplier.

A greatclub... just gets screwed. I honestly have no idea why greatclubs suck so much. They don't even have the advantage of being free like the club and staff do. Poor ol' greatclub.
lol, i like my sycth, it has 2D4, 20/x4 >=)
Pirate_Cook_Sangi
lol, i like my scythe, it has 2D4, 20/x4 >=)

*nod* Another balance example where the weapon trades even more base damage in exchange for an even larger crit multiplier.

Keen, Unholy, Flaming Burst, Good Outsider-Bane Scythes in the hands of a certain major demon. Aah, it's always so nice to see players faces go blank with fear.
Yes, a properly wielded scythe will terrify anyone. My favorite weapon is a silly dance and incoherent mumbling, followed by large explosions.
[ - Message temporarily offline - ]
Quote:
I mean seriously, there's one-handed weapons with equal and greater damage
Uh, there are? Non-exotic ones?

I agree on you with it being a mystery as to why a flail has a wider threat range as opposed to a higher multiplier, but the other points I just have to kind of shrug at and say it's in the interest of mechanical balance rather than express realism. With a balance-oriented approach you are able to at least sidestep some of the weapon favoritism that plagued previous editions of the game.
a friend of mine roleplayed as a hero named Poncho Chalupa and his weapon was a bowstaff with a giant red bell pepper suspended from each end.. and he wore a sombrero
Am I the only one who would prefer to speak in tongues, foam at the mouth and point at something, causing it to explode? Instead of stabbing them with the pointy end of something?
Mercurial Great Sword...Ohh Yeah...
Great club get's the screws put to it because it's just an uprooted tree what one swings at smaller things to make'em go squish. At least, such seems to be the observant ogre philosophy on the whole thing.
Just another addition to Peddy's comparative list: a maul from, I believe, Complete Warrior. Same special rules as a b*****d sword, same damage die, but x3 crit on a 20. Further points towards the balance concept.
And just for my two cents on favored weapon: spike chain. Reach, usable at close, trip, good damage, and just fun to imagine in the hands of a skilled user, especially since one of those things would fillet someone in life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff