Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alien Snack

So I am creating the character bio for the new D&D campaign I am hoping to start. In this campaign Elves are extremely rare and half-elves are semi-common. I want to make a half-elf but I have a question I am hoping you guys can help me with!

While half-elves are often created by an elf and a human having a child, this would be a bit unrealistic since elves are rare and often killed by the orc rulers when they are around. So, my question is this: If a half-elf and a human have a child is the child still considered "half-elf" by D&D standards?

Thanks for the help!

Alien Snack

Alien Snack

Alien Snack

Vyticette
So I am creating the character bio for the new D&D campaign I am hoping to start. In this campaign Elves are extremely rare and half-elves are semi-common. I want to make a half-elf but I have a question I am hoping you guys can help me with!

While half-elves are often created by an elf and a human having a child, this would be a bit unrealistic since elves are rare and often killed by the orc rulers when they are around. So, my question is this: If a half-elf and a human have a child is the child still considered "half-elf" by D&D standards?

Thanks for the help!

There is no such thing as Quarter-elves.
A human having a child with a half-elf is just a human child,
probably with elven like features, but still human.

If your interested in a chart that can provide for you a guideline of which races can interbreed,
You can find one in the book of erotic fantasy.

Once you get past all the laughable sex things,
(like c**k and nipples being used as ring slots or spell-casters that get more powerful if they have sex that day)
it's actually a great book full of useful information,
and even a couple useful spells.

Alien Snack

Tabasco Jones
Vyticette

Thanks for the help!

There is no such thing as Quarter-elves.
A human having a child with a half-elf is just a human child,
probably with elven like features, but still human.

If your interested in a chart that can provide for you a guideline of which races can interbreed,
You can find one in the book of erotic fantasy.

Once you get past all the laughable sex things,
(like c**k and nipples being used as ring slots or spell-casters that get more powerful if they have sex that day)
it's actually a great book full of useful information,
and even a couple useful spells.

Alright, thank you! I just wasn't sure how that particular breeding would work.
There are no hard and set rules for things like these. It's best to ask your DM what they would allow in their world. It's pretty easy to just allow a half-elf and a human to have offspring that are still considered half-elves. It can easily be explained as the elven traits coming through strongly in the child for whatever reason.
Note though, that half-elves breed true.
So if a half-elf has a kid with another half-elf, their kid is a half-elf as well.

Unstoppable Hourglass

Vyticette

Keep in mind, there is "some" room for play here.

There are things such as Assimars, Tieflings, and Feytouched, all of which are less than half of their "offset ancestry" (anywhere from a quarter to an eighth, or sixteenth), which are still considered, to some degree, divine or mysterious. Depending on how you want to spin elves, that "some degree" could carry it's weight down the bloodline (was the elven line particularly sharp in their eyesight, did they have the gift of elven magic, perhaps the mind of those from this family line has always been particularly strong and able to naturally resist certain things). While largely the individual in question is more human than anything else, the fact they have a unique background lineage in a world where honest pureblood is not typical, then there may be something to that lineage.

Or perhaps nothing at all...

Call a spade a spade, slap a level adjustment on your character, and give them a few natural perks, bonuses and natural stat adjustments. Or don't and just have their background lineage just be a story based thing that comes up at some point, if nothing else, than for story's sake.

It's all either semantics or mechanics anyway.. Heck, in some game worlds, the fact sorcerers exist at all (anyone remember red dragon disciples?) suggests that "somewhere" in ancient history, dragons in mortal forms and humans had casual bedroom encounters. All depends on the game world, the standards, the setting, and the mechanics.

Alien Snack

I settled on a Human character with Half-elf traits. My DM didn't find any issues with it. In the campaign we are going to be embarking on, elves are extremely uncommon due to the fact that Orcs maintain a tyrannical rule over the area. Half-elves generally try to conceal their elf heritage but they are also fairly uncommon. Overall, I am satisfied with my character and how she will be played. ^_^

Unstoppable Hourglass

Vyticette
I settled on a Human character with Half-elf traits. My DM didn't find any issues with it. In the campaign we are going to be embarking on, elves are extremely uncommon due to the fact that Orcs maintain a tyrannical rule over the area. Half-elves generally try to conceal their elf heritage but they are also fairly uncommon. Overall, I am satisfied with my character and how she will be played. ^_^

Good Job, sounds like you have a reasonable DM, who is willing to chuck the BS to the side, and let their players have a bit of fun. I enjoy DM's like that.. Makes playing baelnorns easier, especially if they are on a quest to locate the long lost descendents of their family, where they might be now in the world 3nodding

Alien Snack

The campaign my DM developed sounds extremely interesting. Everyone interested in playing are all life long friends but he only wanted about six players so we all had to apply. He chose based on the most interesting, dynamic background stories developed by the various players along with their bios. Mine got accepted, which makes me happy! biggrin If any of you are interested in reading the background, it's quite interesting.

http://shighlandscampaign.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_Introduction

Hilarious Sophomore

6,100 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • First step to fame 200
Sounds intriguing.
Depends on the DM, but in AD&D 2e Player's Handbook, the half-elf race states that a half-elves can be born by other half-elves, half-elf is just a name, and not an actual measurement of how much elf they have.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff