Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anyone here every designed their own roleplaying game? Not just a campaign for an established system like D&D, but their own rules and setting?

I personally create my own rules for each individual setting. I study alot of game design, too, and I'm always looking to improve ideas and try new things in my campaigns. It can be alot of work, but it's really rewarding when something goes off well, and the little light bulbs go off over the players heads when they realize things I hadn't intended the system originally to do.

(I posted another post similar to this awhile back, so if any of the mods see it, they can delete it.)
C'mon people I know some of you have to enjoy screwing around with the rules.
I like how they are.
If you take a look at my thread here, you'll see one of the largest changes I like to make to the D&D setting. If you would like to compare other changes, I would be happy to oblige.
I like the point you made DracoObscura, however, I'm not talking about changing existing rules, I'm talking about starting from the ground up and creating your own.

This isn't just D&D we're talking about, but the whole wide range of role playing styles, genres, and rule systems. I've created systems much more complex than D&D, and some so simple they fit on a napkin. For me, it's an exercise in creativity and logic, and an attempt to bring together a wide variety of disciplines, from theatre to physics, into a new form.

If you've never tried to write your own roleplaying game, I suggest everyone give it a shot. Highly rewarding experience. I'll be posting some of my works on my journal here soon; whenever I get the time.
I am actually working on completely rewriting the ruleset for a D&D campaign so that the only thing recognizable is the setting itself. I was merely pointing to the largest change I have actually implemented.
I designed a Star Wars gaming system when i was young.
If i could create a table-top mini's game, i'd recreate WC2. Because the units are cool, the armys are BALANCED and there's a simple system behind it.
I do, I currently have three projects going on right now but only 2 of them are going well. One is a semi diceless super hero game. Basicly any action that is related to the hero's superpower automaticly suceeds. This way people who want to play Batman don't have to deal with missing. Anyway the thing that really sets the game apart from others is that the player creates thier own arch villians, and the arch villians relationship to the hero. The gm will have a stable of slightly less important villians that they can make themselves, but the arch villian is all the players own.

The other game is a pre-cyberpunk, pre-apocaypse game. It takes place in america shortly after a wave of devistating terrorist attacks. Martial Law has been declared, and the mega corporations have just been formed. Basicly the way the game works is that all the cool stuff that we see in cyberpunk games is just being developed and perfected. However at the same time the mega corporations are trying to control the country, he government is trying to control the world. Both factions are employing terrorists to get thier agendas compleated. Some mega corporations are using thier own employees as test subjects. Essentialy everything is a house of cards and it won't take much to bring it down.

By default the players will be playing employees of one of the megacorps. THey all have thier reasons for wanting to lash out and they work together so that they may suceed in thier own personal goals. The problem is that they are white collered buisness people who only know about bomb making through a book. Game play is focused around engaging in highly dangerouse actions and dealing with the things that will invariable go wrong.

They are both coming along nicely. The first game is nearing the compleation of its rough draft. And the second game requires alot of setting work, so I am just trying to get it so that it is play testable.
I have created my own tabletop RPG.

It's on it's own world, has it's own races/species which all have their own special classes/abilities. I drew maps, drew character scetches, and developed a plot to go with it. It was the whole package, rounded out very well. I started up a game with it, and it lasted over 6 months.

Very good times indeed.

9,500 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
One of my friends made a game called Bob's Circus of a**l Pleasures. You could play such wonderous things as chair, onion, or even Steve!

xd
Currently I'm working on a game called "Twilight of the Magicians," which is actually two games with the same mechanics and basic idea. One is fantasy and uses the 5 chinese elements as your basic stats, and also your affinity with that element, the other is set in real world 1890-1910, and uses the western elements. I'm using essentially a diceless system which relies heavily on player roleplay, but can also be run with six sided dice.

I've previously designed a d6 based hack n' slash game called "Pocket Hack!" which doesn't use a DM. Instead, you use a deck that consists of monsters, treasure, and rooms, and players shift the remaining DM responsibility between themselves.

I really like your idea about making players design their own archvillians, Comte. I've been toying with doing a percentile based Supers game for awhile, actually, and that's a smart way of encouraging good role-play.
im working on a stand alone RPG but i havent done anything on it in awile thanks to school but my goal was to make it as costomizable as possible and retain a basic out line of the rules that was easy to follow making it easy to play of course with its own system and everything<:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff