Welcome to Gaia! ::

How's this for a thread concept!

We all know that RPG's create rules questions... Many of us also know that asking WOTC for an answer is an effort in futility! (In fact, here's a good game, send them a rules question E-mail over and over again, and see how many different answers you get!)

So I've created this thread... and we'll see how successful it is....

If you have a D&D rules question, post it here... I'll try and answer it myself, but I'm not infalliable so if I cant answer it, I'm sure there will be someone else here who can! Remember to tell us wether you're using 3.0 Or 3.5!

Let's see how well this goes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread reborn on page thirty! Check there now please!

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?page=30&t=4912063#533900591
You know how you can advance a monster in Hit Dice in order to make it larger and a greater challenge for PCs. Is there any limit on how many HD you can give a monster, or can it go on forever, like have a 1000 HD monster?
Melinko
You know how you can advance a monster in Hit Dice in order to make it larger and a greater challenge for PCs. Is there any limit on how many HD you can give a monster, or can it go on forever, like have a 1000 HD monster?
There is no upper limit to advancing monsters! I have an example of a Titan Advanced to 70 HD here: Elder Titan.. A friend of mine once told me of a CR 1400 monster out there somewhere... I'll get in touch with him, and see if I can find the link!

Cool Huh?!?
It might help if you specify what TYPE of D&D you claim to be a guru for. Some of us (like myself) are still strictly playing AD&D 2nd Edition.

And before you ask, yes I've played 3.0 and 3.5 and I hated both of them. I'm not going to invest even MORE money to waste my time on books for something I didn't even like.
I've got a problem with my character. Hes an ascended high elf with 9 levels in ranger and 10 level in ninja ninja . I wanted him to be a rouge mostly but to be able to hold his own, thats where the ranger comes in. But then I kept getting killed by Death Spells and took the ascended template for elves since it gives me immunity to Death effects. The problem is that it makes him equal to a Sorrocer of his character level (in spells cast) so now all the party members treat him like a wizard and I dislike wizards. What should I do?
Elaith_X
I've got a problem with my character. Hes an ascended high elf with 9 levels in ranger and 10 level in ninja ninja . I wanted him to be a rouge mostly but to be able to hold his own, thats where the ranger comes in. But then I kept getting killed by Death Spells and took the ascended template for elves since it gives me immunity to Death effects. The problem is that it makes him equal to a Sorrocer of his character level (in spells cast) so now all the party members treat him like a wizard and I dislike wizards. What should I do?

Don't cast offensive spells. Cast spells that assist you further in your combat and sneaking around. Silence, Invisibility, and Cat's Grace are your best friends for the sneaky part, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Greater Magic Weapon, and the various skin spells are your friends when you get into melee combat. Heck, take Tensor's Transformation in there, that should make you a god on the battlefield. I don't know where this 'ascended elf' comes from, but it sounds increadibly twinkish.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
You could try making a charcter. One with a personality instead of a sheet with numbers on it. Maybe then they wouldn't treat you like a spell monkey.
if creating a lycan charater,can you use any animal if you apply the animal feats and such bonuses, or can you only use the ones it shows in the lycan section of the monster manual? edit: this is in 3.5, i left that out..
Nailio
if creating a lycan charater,can you use any animal if you apply the animal feats and such bonuses, or can you only use the ones it shows in the lycan section of the monster manual? edit: this is in 3.5, i left that out..
This one is mostly up to your DM! The monster Manual lists the more common Were-Beasties, but no doubt others exist... It would need a little adaption

Abilities wise.. the MM says all lycanthropes gain a +2 wisdom.. other physical stat modifiers are gained from the animal they are afflicted with. They are found by subtracting 10 from even-numbers stats, and 11 from odd numbered ones.

So long as you qualify for any monstorous feats you want to take, you should be able to take them! The entry says that in the case of affliction, you add any feats the animal has to your own, or in the case of building a lycanthrope from scratch, you add the animals HD to your own, to see how many feats you qualify for.

Hope that helps!
Feloneus_Crimson
It might help if you specify what TYPE of D&D you claim to be a guru for. Some of us (like myself) are still strictly playing AD&D 2nd Edition.

And before you ask, yes I've played 3.0 and 3.5 and I hated both of them. I'm not going to invest even MORE money to waste my time on books for something I didn't even like.
Each to his own!
Yea, I'm solidly 3rd ed! I did play 2nd Ed AD&D before though!

It's be cool if you'd hang around to answer any 2nd ed rules questions we get though!
Ruddigger
Elaith_X

Don't cast offensive spells. Cast spells that assist you further in your combat and sneaking around. Silence, Invisibility, and Cat's Grace are your best friends for the sneaky part, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Greater Magic Weapon, and the various skin spells are your friends when you get into melee combat. Heck, take Tensor's Transformation in there, that should make you a god on the battlefield. I don't know where this 'ascended elf' comes from, but it sounds increadibly twinkish.
I've never heard of a template that gives a character with no arcane spellcasting levels the abiliy to spontaniously transform into a 19th level sorcoror.. Did I read that right? Where is that template?
Alrighty this question is for the 3.5 rules set.

A character with a weapon in one hand takes the full attack action and slay his enemy with still a few attacks left. Can he then either quick draw a hand crossbow, throwing axe or just take the free action that drawing things like shurikens or darts allow and then fire/throw that item at a enemy within range without taking the penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Along the same lines can a character with a weapon in each hand take a full attack action and simply choose wich attack is made with wich weapon without facing the penalties?
Silphastos

A character with a weapon in one hand takes the full attack action and slay his enemy with still a few attacks left. Can he then either quick draw a hand crossbow, throwing axe or just take the free action that drawing things like shurikens or darts allow and then fire/throw that item at a enemy within range without taking the penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Along the same lines can a character with a weapon in each hand take a full attack action and simply choose wich attack is made with wich weapon without facing the penalties?

1. No. Upon declaring full round attack action you don't get any other actions be they free or no.

2. You can't escape the penalties. You can choose which attack is taken with which weapon, but they always go r/l/r/l/r/etc you can't make all your attacks with your good hand two-weapon fighting.
Funkrise
Silphastos

1. No. Upon declaring full round attack action you don't get any other actions be they free or no.

2. You can't escape the penalties. You can choose which attack is taken with which weapon, but they always go r/l/r/l/r/etc you can't make all your attacks with your good hand two-weapon fighting.
Point 1 is correct, you can take the free action to draw a weapon into a free hand, if you have a, a free hand, an b, the quick draw feat.. but you wont be able to use it.

As far as the two-weapon fighting goes, Funk is right to a point. a Two weapon Fighting character neednt worry about left and right, mearly 'Primary' and 'Off'. A two weapon routine runs all the attacks with the Primary weapon, then follows up with all attacks allowed with the 'off' weapon.

You can reverce the order, flipping your 'off' weapon to your 'primary' hand... But I'd rule that as being a 'Draw' action. (Move-equililant, or free with Quick Draw, unless you are using a double weapon, with different effects on each end, you'd have to tell your DM wich end is primary and off.) In a nutshell, once you'e declared primary and off weapons, you can't change them in the middle of an attack.

The only way to drop the penaltys is to not attack with your off weapon, or be epic and take 'Superior Two-Weapon Fighting'
I have a question in a similar vein. I have a player who fights with a reach weapon in one hand (Halberd for a small character, which keeps the reach,though he does take the -2 size penalty) and a shield in the other. He mainly uses the shield as his primary weapon and doesn't use the halberd in his round of attacks, but uses the halberd for attacks of opportunity when enemies enter his threatened area.
I don't really like this practice from simply a moral standpoint, but I was wondering if there are actual rules to prevent this kind of thing.

Similarly we have Hypothesized of a monk who fights unarmed bu who carries a halberd in his hand to get the free reach attacks of opportunity.

How wrong is that?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces