Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Lanackse-Kanvae
The Arcane Archer PrC from the Dungeon Master Guide?
Nice signature btw

Ixor Firebadger's Husbando

Snarky Mage

felinoel
AnCatDubh
felinoel
...perhaps?

Faerun hmm, no wonder why I couldn't find it. Though now that I think about it I do believe they were talking about bolts...
Well, I suppose that's mystery solved then. It's the only spell I can recall that launches ranged ammunition like that, though there is also a 1st-level variant Launch Item that has a bit more broader application.
Oh? Where is this?

lol the way it is worded sounds like a certain HomeStuck attack
Heh. Launch Item is also in the Magic of Faerun book. cat_3nodding

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
AnCatDubh
felinoel
AnCatDubh
felinoel
...perhaps?

Faerun hmm, no wonder why I couldn't find it. Though now that I think about it I do believe they were talking about bolts...
Well, I suppose that's mystery solved then. It's the only spell I can recall that launches ranged ammunition like that, though there is also a 1st-level variant Launch Item that has a bit more broader application.
Oh? Where is this?

lol the way it is worded sounds like a certain HomeStuck attack
Heh. Launch Item is also in the Magic of Faerun book. cat_3nodding
lol I saw it when I was reading Lauch Bolt and I lol'd
Would the two weapon fighter archetype from pathfinder do well as a throwing expert? Im still looking at the others atm and not finding anything that throws well. Throwing axes are the prefered weapon, and they are considered light. Is there a better class/archetype for this? Dual wielding throwing axes, fighters have enough feats i think to offset certain things. I could always get returning on the axes, but i was thinking grinding. With quick draw i could strap quiet a few axes to me. two on my hips, 4 on my back cause they arent large, two on my arms, two on my legs, thats 10 axes alone. They wont add ac or anything unless my dm thinks so. Any tips or ideas about how to make this work?

Greedy Codger

4,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
Well, for one thing, you'll probably get more helpful responses if you post it in the Pathfinder thread. =P

Anyway, I haven't really looked at the archetype much, but I would warn against throwing weapons as a primary combat style in general, unless you want to use something small like shuriken which can be thrown by the handful and enchanted as ammunition. Otherwise it becomes a massive drain on resources with not nearly enough damage output to make up for it.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
ThePhantomSquee
Well, for one thing, you'll probably get more helpful responses if you post it in the Pathfinder thread. =P
lol

Quote:
Anyway, I haven't really looked at the archetype much, but I would warn against throwing weapons as a primary combat style in general, unless you want to use something small like shuriken which can be thrown by the handful and enchanted as ammunition. Otherwise it becomes a massive drain on resources with not nearly enough damage output to make up for it.
Yea throwing weapons aren't very good, unless you are an alchemist or know one I guess, maybe alchemize up a bomb filled with jagged pieces of metal and toxic poison or something to throw into a room full of baddies but even then there is no need to specialize in throwing.
3.5 question:
When you launch a bolt using the spell Launch Bolt, do you still apply your dexterity bonus to the damage, even though you're not using the crossbow itself to launch said bolt?

Sparkly Lunatic

11,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Since when do you add your dexterity to damage in the first place with a crossbow?

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Spells do not add dexterity to their damage.

Extra damage with spells is often +x per y levels of caster or +x per y character level. That would be found in the spell description.

Another way to add damage with spells is with metamagic feats.

Empower Spell (Players Handbook) increases the variables of the chosen spell by 50%.

Maximize Spell (Players Handbook) makes all variables of the chosen spell as if they rolled maximum.

You can do some other things with metamagic feats but that's up to you and your play style.

Original Gaian

Sith Lord Darth Moren
Since when do you add your dexterity to damage in the first place with a crossbow?
Crossbow Sniper adds 1/2 your dex as damage when you attack with a crossbow you have weapon focus with. PHB2.

Dapper Explorer

SufferingPlanet
Sith Lord Darth Moren
Crossbow Sniper adds 1/2 your dex as damage when you attack with a crossbow you have weapon focus with. PHB2.

I think the Targeteer variant class had an ability to add dex (or dex and a half, can't remember which) to your bow/crossbow attacks ....

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Fan_Boy
I think the Targeteer variant class had an ability to add dex (or dex and a half, can't remember which) to your bow/crossbow attacks ....

Which is from a magazine called Dragon, which many do not have access to and therefore don't allow.

Original Gaian

Thus why I referred to the feat Crossbow Sniper from the Players Handbook 2...

Dapper Explorer

Lanackse-Kanvae
Fan_Boy

Which is from a magazine called Dragon, which many do not have access to and therefore don't allow.

Dragon Magazine content is official though, right?

Sparkly Lunatic

11,000 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Technically, yes, but most DMs I know (myself included) are kinda iffy about some of the printed content. Plus, trying to track down the specific issues that certain feats/classes/items/etc come from can be a task in itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff