Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I miss being able to play D&D with people...3.5 remains my favorite edition. No one around here actually plays D&D and those that do are either French (I hate D&D in French) or they have no idea how to play...

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
You could try playing online! My first experience with a D&D style RPG is an online group - my husband's old roommate happened to be only one timezone away, so we would play over Skype using the RPTools app. I know there are a bunch of ways you can meet up with other players online to do a group, so that is one option.

Also, remember that once upon a time, you didn't know how to play D&D either! There is no reason that a newer person to the game might not be a great game partner. All you have to do is teach them. In fact, I think it's really rewarding to bring someone new into your hobby. I think there are a lot of people out there who want to play games, but haven't been given an opportunity to learn. Don't discount them just because they haven't already had the opportunity - instead, give them the opportunities they want!

Beyond that, you could also look for local clubs/groups in your area. Look into websites/communities that have regularly-scheduled meetups, and try to join those games. Or, alternatively, get in contact with your local gaming stores - many stores sponsor pick up game days or opportunities to meet other people looking for a gaming group. And if events like that don't exist in your area, see if you can work with a local shop to start something! You can't just sit around complaining about how you don't have anyone to play with, but also make no effort to actually find/create those communities.

Anyway, I really think there's no excuse for trying to find someone to play with, unless you live in a town with a population of less than 10 and no internet. In this day and age there are tons of ways to find groups, so it's really more about putting in the effort to connect with those people.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Keakealani
You could try playing online! My first experience with a D&D style RPG is an online group - my husband's old roommate happened to be only one timezone away, so we would play over Skype using the RPTools app. I know there are a bunch of ways you can meet up with other players online to do a group, so that is one option.

Also, remember that once upon a time, you didn't know how to play D&D either! There is no reason that a newer person to the game might not be a great game partner. All you have to do is teach them. In fact, I think it's really rewarding to bring someone new into your hobby. I think there are a lot of people out there who want to play games, but haven't been given an opportunity to learn. Don't discount them just because they haven't already had the opportunity - instead, give them the opportunities they want!

Beyond that, you could also look for local clubs/groups in your area. Look into websites/communities that have regularly-scheduled meetups, and try to join those games. Or, alternatively, get in contact with your local gaming stores - many stores sponsor pick up game days or opportunities to meet other people looking for a gaming group. And if events like that don't exist in your area, see if you can work with a local shop to start something! You can't just sit around complaining about how you don't have anyone to play with, but also make no effort to actually find/create those communities.

Anyway, I really think there's no excuse for trying to find someone to play with, unless you live in a town with a population of less than 10 and no internet. In this day and age there are tons of ways to find groups, so it's really more about putting in the effort to connect with those people.

I've tried looking around online and all the campaigns I found people doing were so ******** stupid and childish that I couldn't bring myself to do it...The campaigns I made when I was 10 years old were better than that -.- I also want a good DM, because the game just sucks without a good DM. Problem is that most people think they're good at it just because they have the books...

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
I've tried looking around online and all the campaigns I found people doing were so ******** stupid and childish that I couldn't bring myself to do it...The campaigns I made when I was 10 years old were better than that -.- I also want a good DM, because the game just sucks without a good DM. Problem is that most people think they're good at it just because they have the books...
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. However, I'm not sure if this is intentional, but you're coming off with a really negative and aggressive attitude. In my experience, people aren't likely to respond well to someone who is already negative and aggressive, and your bad experiences may be more a result of your attitude than any objective facet of the game or groups.

It sounds to me like you're so sure that what you're doing is the absolute best that you don't want to interact with anyone who doesn't live up to your fantasized ideal of a perfect game or group. Seeing as nobody is perfect, that's not a realistic attitude, and in the mean time you will only end up with more frustration. This isn't an advice forum so I won't mention any more than that, but I really feel like the first step to finding a good group is being someone that a good group would want. And no good group wants someone who is egotistical, pessimistic, and aggressive.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Keakealani
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. However, I'm not sure if this is intentional, but you're coming off with a really negative and aggressive attitude. In my experience, people aren't likely to respond well to someone who is already negative and aggressive, and your bad experiences may be more a result of your attitude than any objective facet of the game or groups.

It sounds to me like you're so sure that what you're doing is the absolute best that you don't want to interact with anyone who doesn't live up to your fantasized ideal of a perfect game or group. Seeing as nobody is perfect, that's not a realistic attitude, and in the mean time you will only end up with more frustration. This isn't an advice forum so I won't mention any more than that, but I really feel like the first step to finding a good group is being someone that a good group would want. And no good group wants someone who is egotistical, pessimistic, and aggressive.

1. You have no idea what negative and aggressive is if you think that's what this is...
2. My bad experiences come from a bunch of god-modding, self-important morons that assume they're above everyone because they paid 400$ for a bunch of D&D manuals.
3. I don't actually believe what I'm doing is better (aside from previously mentioned assholes). Which is why I want a good DM to play with...I might be able to be a good DM if I tried hard enough..."might"...but I know others can do it better than I can.

Everything you said makes you sound like a pompous tightwad that was just offended by what I said, so now you're trying to belittle me by making me seem like an a*****e because I won't settle for playing with incompetent jerks.

Then you proceed to making claims about what this forum is for and continue with the childish name calling...Your post was almost completely irrelevant to the topic, for that matter. So if you're done making an a** of yourself, you have no business here.
You're both kind of in the wrong here. The best course of action would be to stop antagonizing one another and return to the question at hand.

Or move on to something better.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Tralk
You're both kind of in the wrong here. The best course of action would be to stop antagonizing one another and return to the question at hand.

You replied to this 12 hours after it was already over...
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
Tralk

Because I read it all at once. Like it had just happened. =/

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Tralk
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
Tralk

Because I read it all at once. Like it had just happened. =/

You should always check timestamps.

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
You have no idea what negative and aggressive is if you think that's what this is....

Welcome to the world that is the Internet in which text is read in the reader's voice and preference. Your word choice does strongly suggest negativity.
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

Welcome to the world of Internet forums where people will reply days, months, even years after the subject is dead and gone. Your word choice does strongly indicate aggressiveness.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Liquidor
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
You have no idea what negative and aggressive is if you think that's what this is....

Welcome to the world that is the Internet in which text is read in the reader's voice and preference. Your word choice does strongly suggest negativity.
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

Welcome to the world of Internet forums where people will reply days, months, even years after the subject is dead and gone. Your word choice does strongly indicate aggressiveness.

No, not really. You just want it to seem like that because you WANT negativity. Which is why everyone in the world is having a contest of who can be THE biggest a*****e to complete strangers without reason.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff