Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
Shazik
Lorian DeWithial
Shazik
The Real Shanaku
That is a major dilemma. You don't want to give them too powerful of magic, but you don't want to cut them short. I compare it to items they already own and take it a step up.

well thats awesome because my dm does the same he looks at what we are going for with our toons then makes a discision to give us loot depending on that

My players never expect me to give them much loot, usually it's randomised and even then only when Ican be bothered to role 16 times on the tables, that bores the hell out of me, so instead I give them some extra coin (telling them that the loot that they have found over the course of the session comes to a select amount) and then most major events in the campaign I will give one or two of my players an item that I know they are going to be extremely happy with, while giving the rest of the characters a slight raise in their monetary gains. That being said not of my players ever have to worry about paying for trail rations or inn stays (unless they are going fancy), because I consider it living costs and deducts it out of their loot. Currently I'm doing a one-on-one D&D session and that character is level 10 with a mundane Green Dragon-scale and bog-oak shield and a +3 Keen longsword that the player has developed and maintained since the fifth session when he was level 3, when he got it it was a +1 Longsword that I had randomised - although I had chosen the weapon type as I wanted the player to keep it. My players seem to prefer me doing it this way, although they will always ask me for specific loot if they want it - like one of my players wants the weapon that I created for a high level campaign called the Planer Blade.

ya that is a good way to do it but the way i do it is i ask how the toon is being built and i try to give loot that will help not only the toon but the entire group. the gain in monetary is good but sometimes you just need to give them something to mess around with like a wand of dominate person lol

I have a mix of players that like rewards in different ways, one of my players only likes to get money because she wants to make all her own weapons and armour, whereas another of my players wanted one large amount of money and now wants to see me make his sword intelligent via long-use and the upgrades that I have been giving him. That's his ultimate goal (when it comes to his equipment), and I'm happy to oblige, although I have no idea how his +3 Keen longsword is going to get there. whee
Lorian DeWithial
Shazik
Lorian DeWithial
Shazik
The Real Shanaku
That is a major dilemma. You don't want to give them too powerful of magic, but you don't want to cut them short. I compare it to items they already own and take it a step up.

well thats awesome because my dm does the same he looks at what we are going for with our toons then makes a discision to give us loot depending on that

My players never expect me to give them much loot, usually it's randomised and even then only when Ican be bothered to role 16 times on the tables, that bores the hell out of me, so instead I give them some extra coin (telling them that the loot that they have found over the course of the session comes to a select amount) and then most major events in the campaign I will give one or two of my players an item that I know they are going to be extremely happy with, while giving the rest of the characters a slight raise in their monetary gains. That being said not of my players ever have to worry about paying for trail rations or inn stays (unless they are going fancy), because I consider it living costs and deducts it out of their loot. Currently I'm doing a one-on-one D&D session and that character is level 10 with a mundane Green Dragon-scale and bog-oak shield and a +3 Keen longsword that the player has developed and maintained since the fifth session when he was level 3, when he got it it was a +1 Longsword that I had randomised - although I had chosen the weapon type as I wanted the player to keep it. My players seem to prefer me doing it this way, although they will always ask me for specific loot if they want it - like one of my players wants the weapon that I created for a high level campaign called the Planer Blade.

ya that is a good way to do it but the way i do it is i ask how the toon is being built and i try to give loot that will help not only the toon but the entire group. the gain in monetary is good but sometimes you just need to give them something to mess around with like a wand of dominate person lol

I have a mix of players that like rewards in different ways, one of my players only likes to get money because she wants to make all her own weapons and armour, whereas another of my players wanted one large amount of money and now wants to see me make his sword intelligent via long-use and the upgrades that I have been giving him. That's his ultimate goal (when it comes to his equipment), and I'm happy to oblige, although I have no idea how his +3 Keen longsword is going to get there. whee

well thats more for you to decide you could just make it intelligent thru a strange occurance or make a spirit inhabit it because of his ability to weild it........i.e a warrior spirit who likes his ability to weild the sword

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff