Welcome to Gaia! ::

Glen_Savet
I agree with the bludgeoning by hillgiants of metagamers wholeheartedly Dread! Complete and utter beatings should commence immediately upon discovery of metagaming.

Regarding this fellow who "holds you back", if you dislike the characters this fellow makes so much, and he refuses to change them, why do you keep him around? Being friends only goes so far when you are trying to create a story. Sure you enjoy having him around, but it also seems like you hate having him around also.

I personally AM a min-min gamer in some aspects; fighters with 10s in physical scores, but with 14+ in charisma and intelligence, the half-orc wizard that you seem to dislike. I don't expect DM's to go easy on me because of it, I simply think it's fun to try to roleplay the everyman who picked up a sword one day, or the Orc who's trying to operate against his races' sterotype.

We really like him. To avoid offending him, which is pretty easy, I more then the others, make an effor to put up with him.

That character, with high wiz/cha isn't min-min still in this case. There are plenty of good feats a fighter can take and use to benefit from his intelligence. Be a swashbuckler, for example.

If I run a LE warrior, he MUST have high cha (over 13). I'll take a hit in a physical score.

In regards to the orc, he isn't going against a stereotype. That would be a fighter, rogue, ranger, or just being good. Going with a WIZARD would be going against logic instead.

If you plan on ROLEPLAYING said halforc, fine. As I stated, this individual RPed his poor characters poorly as well. Comic relief was about the limits for him. sweatdrop

I've heard of DMs that take away XP for metagamers. Scary, but its actually logical/reasonable I suppose.
I'd just like to say that sometimes, powergaming can be a boon.

For almost four sessions in a row, my GM had been running half-baked little dungeon crawls, with very little thought behind them. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal since our group enjoys a little mindless hack-n-slash every once in a while, but these games were run like he had downloaded a map and set of instructions off the internet. "The room contains an orc and a box" type of thing. Normally at this point the current GM would pass on the game to someone else, but he insisted that he was still "up for it".

So one week he informs us that the next game is going to be a castle siege. A siege where we would be allowed to plan ahead, making new characters, pooling our resources, that sort of thing. The kicker was that there would be a prize for defeating the castle quickly. If we took 6 hours, normal xp, 3 meant double, hour and a half meant quadruple, etc, and this xp would go towards our normal characters.

At the time, it was obvious he was just trying to make it so that he wouldn't have to GM for as long the next week. So the group decided to push him a little so that it would be easier for him to give up the GM reins.

We all got together a few days later and worked on creating the most horrible scenario possible for a castle siege, and this was the result:

GM: Ok, so you have set up camp in front of castle Orenlar, and the siege is about to begin, what do you do?
Cleric: I cast Giant Size on the fighter.
Me: I take a large sphere out of my bag of holding, and throw it at the castle.
GM: Ok... roll to hit then.
Me: (Rolls) 51 to hit.
GM: . . . You hit, what's the damage?
Me: About three million

I think someone mentioned the Hulking Hurler earlier, and it is a rotten piece of work

It took us all of two turns to destroy that castle, so we would have received a nigh-infinite amount of experience for it if we weren't the nice group we were.

Thankfully that convinced the GM that it was time for him to be a player for a while, and the next week we had an awesome run of games, and I went back to playing my bard.

(With only a slight boost of xp)
Dread Khan
Also, anyone who metagames openly should be beaten by hillgiant barbarians.
Yes, but if someone feels that someone has been abusive in a game in the past, they WILL protect themselves from it in the future or not game with the person.

Otherwise it would like visiting the neighborhood bully with a guarentee of getting smacked around again. You can't blame a person for not wanting to be treated badly. When people abuse power gaming power in such detrimental ways as killing off parts of the party of getting rid of them, it's understandable why no one else would want to put up with them. I guess it's more appropriate to kick the person out of the gaming group and never welcome them back, but most of us like to give people a second chance. That person has been learning from the second chance too, though again some GMs will not let him into their games still.
Marina_j2
Dread Khan
Yes, but if someone feels that someone has been abusive in a game in the past, they WILL protect themselves from it in the future or not game with the person.

Otherwise it would like visiting the neighborhood bully with a guarentee of getting smacked around again. You can't blame a person for not wanting to be treated badly. When people abuse power gaming power in such detrimental ways as killing off parts of the party of getting rid of them, it's understandable why no one else would want to put up with them. I guess it's more appropriate to kick the person out of the gaming group and never welcome them back, but most of us like to give people a second chance. That person has been learning from the second chance too, though again some GMs will not let him into their games still.

So they just feel like cheating? If I was the DM, then I would dock XP for every incident when they metagame like that.
Dread Khan
Marina_j2
Dread Khan

So they just feel like cheating? If I was the DM, then I would dock XP for every incident when they metagame like that.
It's all I can do to get the GM to let this person play. I don't think you realize that no one else wants to game with this person ever again. We have a decently large gaming community and he has ticked off over 40 different people.

Edit: Dread Khan, don't think that I don't like talking to you, because I'm actually enjoying this very much. I really like to hear what you have to say so that I can get a better idea about power gamers and understand them better. I've been finding this thread very helpful for that. 3nodding
Marina_j2
Dread Khan
Marina_j2
Dread Khan

It's all I can do to get the GM to let this person play. I don't think you realize that no one else wants to game with this person ever again. We have a decently large gaming community and he has ticked off over 40 different people.

Edit: Dread Khan, don't think that I don't like talking to you, because I'm actually enjoying this very much. I really like to hear what you have to say so that I can get a better idea about power gamers and understand them better. I've been finding this thread very helpful for that. 3nodding

If I was in that group, I would politely inform them that the previous game has no relevence to the present game... Metagaming gives your characters unfair advantages, and thus, the DM should counteract their advantage by (for example) penalizing the player.

I can understand where you are coming from, honestly, but I would fight with all my power against the urge to metagame.

I enjoy debating and discussing, and when I 'powergame', I always have a theme for my character. Right now, I'm working on a 'soldier' type character... using Phalanx Fighting feat, Improved Shieldbash, some twoweapon fighting... The character would be a fighter/rogue, and I think I'd even take hamstring if I can fit it in... potentially monkeygrip, to allow me to use a longspear with my shield.

Its gonna be crazy when I make this work. xp
Dread Khan
If I was in that group, I would politely inform them that the previous game has no relevence to the present game... Metagaming gives your characters unfair advantages, and thus, the DM should counteract their advantage by (for example) penalizing the player.

I can understand where you are coming from, honestly, but I would fight with all my power against the urge to metagame.

I enjoy debating and discussing, and when I 'powergame', I always have a theme for my character. Right now, I'm working on a 'soldier' type character... using Phalanx Fighting feat, Improved Shieldbash, some twoweapon fighting... The character would be a fighter/rogue, and I think I'd even take hamstring if I can fit it in... potentially monkeygrip, to allow me to use a longspear with my shield.

I personally try not to metagame about it. I've never been in a campaign where any of his characters have been a problem, to be honest.

The closest thing I've ever had to a power game character was a wizard/cleric. I love playing clerics because they have a lot of advantages that fighters have. What made her such a powerful character was I built her up to a deepwoods sniper. She was human, but her druid father had connections in his home land. Anyway, my husband found mystic theurge back when it was only on the net and let me use it as a prestige class (he was the GM). I then alternated between deepwood sniper and mystic theurge each time I leveled up.

She was a very interesting character to play. One of my friends said they were tired of me playing sweet characters, so he helped me come up with a different personality for her. She was an old-school cleric of Chauntea and really believed in procreation. She already had two kids that lived with her parents while she went out adventuring. She was very good at getting information and providing distractions.
Marina_j2
Dread Khan

I personally try not to metagame about it. I've never been in a campaign where any of his characters have been a problem, to be honest.

The closest thing I've ever had to a power game character was a wizard/cleric. I love playing clerics because they have a lot of advantages that fighters have. What made her such a powerful character was I built her up to a deepwoods sniper. She was human, but her druid father had connections in his home land. Anyway, my husband found mystic theurge back when it was only on the net and let me use it as a prestige class (he was the GM). I then alternated between deepwood sniper and mystic theurge each time I leveled up.

She was a very interesting character to play. One of my friends said they were tired of me playing sweet characters, so he helped me come up with a different personality for her. She was an old-school cleric of Chauntea and really believed in procreation. She already had two kids that lived with her parents while she went out adventuring. She was very good at getting information and providing distractions.

Ah, back when they first released the class. razz

The Deepwoods Sniper has always been a little wierd to me... I can't decide if its better, or if the Order of the Bow Initiate is better (but much cheesey stupid pseudoreligious nutbars).

Hey, did you take Zen Archery? you would get your wis bonus in place of dex for ranged attacks
I liked the old version of order of the bow initiate better then the new one. Zen archery for free, and if you already had it, wisdom stacks with dex! Wooh! Go go monk into archer! Buh?
Dread Khan
Marina_j2
Dread Khan

Ah, back when they first released the class. razz

The Deepwoods Sniper has always been a little wierd to me... I can't decide if its better, or if the Order of the Bow Initiate is better (but much cheesey stupid pseudoreligious nutbars).

Hey, did you take Zen Archery? you would get your wis bonus in place of dex for ranged attacks
Ah, but I love Dex. It works for AC, Reflex Saves, ranged attacks, and Initiative. Most of my characters have that as the highest stat, since most of my stats are relatively low when I roll them up.
The best place to find powergamed character concepts is the optimization boards on WOTC
Aerion4
The best place to find powergamed character concepts is the optimization boards on WOTC

I think the best place is to start a competition with my friends and see what we all come up with.
Best Character I ever made ended being a Brb2,Rgr2,Ftr6,Deverish10.
By lv 6 he was unbeatable. His damage could have been higher but his AC was unbelevable and he almost never missed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff