Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would chess go down as a game? I think so.

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any other chess players here who would care to talk with me. Orthodox openings? Unorthodox openings? Best opening? Worst opening?

I love using the Guiocco Piano (sp?) with 1.e2-e4 2.g1-f3 3.f1-c4 4.f3-g5 5. g5xf7 Forking the Queen and the Rook. Of course I use variants of this opening, but that's the general procedure.
I wish I really knew how to play chess. I mean, I know how each piece moves and how to set up the board, but other than that I'm in the dark.
Well, I suppose I could post some pointers.

1) Never allow your pieces to be pinned down (Don't position it in front of the king) unless necessary.

2) Find a few openings you really like and stick to it. Not one because then you're dead if your opponent knows your opening very well. Not too many because, if you're like me, you confuse them with each other.

3) Always think ahead at least three moves. If you can't do that, you'll have a tough time making a name for yourself.

4) Don't think of immediate profits, think of long-term plans to destroy the king rather than a move that will capture the knight.

5) NEVER develop your queen early in the game, unless the profits outweigh the problems of having to send your queen out into the open, have it attacked, and then having to move it back to its original spot (or another spot where it will be attacked again). This allows your opponent to develop his/her pieces while you do not.

6) As a support for #5, develop your pieces, or move your pieces from their original places.

Battery is low on the laptop, so gotta go!
Quote:
I wish I really knew how to play chess. I mean, I know how each piece moves and how to set up the board, but other than that I'm in the dark.

That's exactly how I feel. I haven't played chess in a long time too. Last time I did play it, I lost, as I always do.
I like opening with the four move checkmate, I know it's kinda bad and probably screws me up in the end but it forces the opp. to counter and it's just how i grew up playing. I LOVE cornering with the pawns, especially bishops and sometimes queens, BWAHAHAHAHAHA they never learn. I never can remember how to set up the queens and kings on the board, so I just let someone else set those last pieces up smile .
Quote:
I like opening with the four move checkmate, I know it's kinda bad and probably screws me up in the end but it forces the opp. to counter and it's just how i grew up playing. I LOVE cornering with the pawns, especially bishops and sometimes queens, BWAHAHAHAHAHA they never learn. I never can remember how to set up the queens and kings on the board, so I just let someone else set those last pieces up smile .

No comment about your opening choice. No idea what you mean by cornering with the pawns.

Anyway ... one way to remember with the king and queen, is the the queen starts on its own colour ... so the white queen goes on the white square, and the black queen on the black square. (And the corner square on your right hand side should be a white square.)
Quote:
Quote:

No comment about your opening choice. No idea what you mean by cornering with the pawns.

Anyway ... one way to remember with the king and queen, is the the queen starts on its own colour ... so the white queen goes on the white square, and the black queen on the black square. (And the corner square on your right hand side should be a white square.)

Cornering with pawns means something like this (using the edge of the board in this example):

P B
P
P

In other words, the piece has no where to go and only a piece of lower value to take.

Also, if you tried the four move checkmate on me, you'd have a tough time recuperating because that was once one of my favorite openings, so I was able to experience many (devastating sweatdrop ) counters to it.
Every time I play chess against my friend's brother, he beats me in under ten moves. He seems to be able to do this no matter what I do. So... any advice to help me with chess?
Chess is a gret game for the money requried to play
I love playing chess, none of my friends are any good though and never want to play, so the only way i play is on Yahoo and such
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cornering with pawns means something like this (using the edge of the board in this example):

P B
P
P

In other words, the piece has no where to go and only a piece of lower value to take.

Also, if you tried the four move checkmate on me, you'd have a tough time recuperating because that was once one of my favorite openings, so I was able to experience many (devastating sweatdrop ) counters to it.

I could probably get away with it against you, but will not argue about the fact that it is not a good choice of opening play.

And by "cornering with pawns" you just meant trapping pieces with them? ... ok. Yes that is fun. =/
Actually at my public library they let you sign out some classic board games and play them there for free, so they have chess and usually you see people come regularly and play there. I would learn a lot from them but I haven't found the time to play them, sigh... crying
Quote:
Would chess go down as a game? I think so.

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any other chess players here who would care to talk with me. Orthodox openings? Unorthodox openings? Best opening? Worst opening?

I love using the Guiocco Piano (sp?) with 1.e2-e4 2.g1-f3 3.f1-c4 4.f3-g5 5. g5xf7 Forking the Queen and the Rook. Of course I use variants of this opening, but that's the general procedure.

Evil notation. EVIL notation. I prefer the older, "descriptive" notation. ^.^

Could you possibly describe what BLACK is doin' to allow you to get that Q-R fork in five moves?

Usin' normal notation:

1 P-K4 ... P-K4.
2 N-KB3. I think you would be presupposin' N-QB3, to defend Black's KP.
3. B-B4.

Now, this is a pretty classic position; when I first learned to play chess, I used to do 4 Castles on just about any move by Black (other than N-KB3.)

But: Let's throw ya for a loop here. 3 ... P-Q4.

What do you do then?

(In yer notation:
1 e2.e4 ... e7.e5
2 g1.f3 ... b8.c6
3 f1.c4 ... d7.d5)

-You can't continue in the Giuocco Piano (N-N5 / f3.g5) because Black would naturally follow PxB (d5xc4,) and the fork would result in the Knight's capture by the King.

-On PxP (e4xd5) Black likely responds N-Q5 (c6.d4.) This threatens a Knight exchange and a nice, open King file.

-On BxP (c4xd5) Black responds N-KB3 (g8.f6.) Now, no matter how White responds, Black pretty much has an open Queen file to work with.

My personal preference is the simple, not-so-elegant Queen's Gambit, when playin' white.
Quote:

Of course, the Blitzkrieg (or Scholar's) Mate doesn't generally work, as even 2 ... N-KB3 is effective proof against that mate.

As for cornerin' with pawns, it's rather useless.

Now, one of my best feats was to have two queens and six rooks in the endgame, and NOT stalemate my opponent. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff