• Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Supreme Supporter 500
ratgirl34
Yazram Master Kat
ratgirl34
Yazram Master Kat
ratgirl34
My DM had a similar issues before we started playing together. We've always taken a break during the summer because people go on trips and stuff so it isn't convenient, I assume he did before too. So he just never told his friend when they were gaming, to this day when that friend calls and we're gaming we all just shut up.

Last game my sister was texting a friend who knows that guy really well and the DM got all panicky asking if she'd told the friend we were gaming.

It's a little sad, and not the most mature option, but it seems to be working for now. Five years and so far this method has not come back to haunt him.

My group ended up being the same way about the aforementioned Cody. When he asked about gaming, everyone just clammed the hell up.

Luckily I've only met Mike once or twice. I think I'm the only member of the group who doesn't know him.

He... He played an arcane archer as a thief? I love my arcane archer and am slightly offended that he would waste such a fabulous prestige class. My DM says she's built a little unusually, we started at a higher level so he helped me make her. She has a level of bard, seven or five ranger and the rest is arcane archer. I know sorcerer would probably have been better, but even when I play squishies I still tend to use more buffs than outright attacks so I went bard. I knew I wouldn't be putting a lot of levels into it anyway. Then for irony I gave her the last name Shotsinger, family name and family calling.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. For one, he would take no buffing spells, two, he used the character as a thief during down time, like I said, and three, and get this, he tried to use his ARCANE ARCHER as a front line fighter. All the time. And then he would get a ridiculous amount of upset when his character died.

I want to hit him. I hate admitting it but I hit like a girl so he probably wouldn't hurt too much from it, but it would make me feel better. Why would he not play a class that suits his play-style?

I was in a group before this one where a guy refused to make basic characters, so the DM was constantly party-wiping us trying to compensate. He was lawful good, always, but would screw over his own party members by keeping loot for himself that would benefit them. Then got pissy when I made a rogue and started hoarding gold and stuff. I wish I had thought to tell the DM that plan on a piece of paper or with a text...

The final straw was when he ditched us on an island, after an incident with my loot hoarding, and told everyone we were dead. The DM told him that he's changing his alignment and the guy flipped his s**t and quit playing. That would have been great, except that he was the DM's room mate so we still had to listen to him b***h after he left the game.

I considered hitting him more than once.

That guy was clearly an idiot. Your DM was absolutely right in imposing the alignment change. I've only ever had to do it to a player once.

One of my players was doing this lone wolf paladin type thing, and he offered up a member of his party who he didn't get along with to save his own life.

Shirtless Member

Yazram Master Kat
ratgirl34
Yazram Master Kat
ratgirl34
Yazram Master Kat
ratgirl34
My DM had a similar issues before we started playing together. We've always taken a break during the summer because people go on trips and stuff so it isn't convenient, I assume he did before too. So he just never told his friend when they were gaming, to this day when that friend calls and we're gaming we all just shut up.

Last game my sister was texting a friend who knows that guy really well and the DM got all panicky asking if she'd told the friend we were gaming.

It's a little sad, and not the most mature option, but it seems to be working for now. Five years and so far this method has not come back to haunt him.

My group ended up being the same way about the aforementioned Cody. When he asked about gaming, everyone just clammed the hell up.

Luckily I've only met Mike once or twice. I think I'm the only member of the group who doesn't know him.

He... He played an arcane archer as a thief? I love my arcane archer and am slightly offended that he would waste such a fabulous prestige class. My DM says she's built a little unusually, we started at a higher level so he helped me make her. She has a level of bard, seven or five ranger and the rest is arcane archer. I know sorcerer would probably have been better, but even when I play squishies I still tend to use more buffs than outright attacks so I went bard. I knew I wouldn't be putting a lot of levels into it anyway. Then for irony I gave her the last name Shotsinger, family name and family calling.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. For one, he would take no buffing spells, two, he used the character as a thief during down time, like I said, and three, and get this, he tried to use his ARCANE ARCHER as a front line fighter. All the time. And then he would get a ridiculous amount of upset when his character died.

I want to hit him. I hate admitting it but I hit like a girl so he probably wouldn't hurt too much from it, but it would make me feel better. Why would he not play a class that suits his play-style?

I was in a group before this one where a guy refused to make basic characters, so the DM was constantly party-wiping us trying to compensate. He was lawful good, always, but would screw over his own party members by keeping loot for himself that would benefit them. Then got pissy when I made a rogue and started hoarding gold and stuff. I wish I had thought to tell the DM that plan on a piece of paper or with a text...

The final straw was when he ditched us on an island, after an incident with my loot hoarding, and told everyone we were dead. The DM told him that he's changing his alignment and the guy flipped his s**t and quit playing. That would have been great, except that he was the DM's room mate so we still had to listen to him b***h after he left the game.

I considered hitting him more than once.

That guy was clearly an idiot. Your DM was absolutely right in imposing the alignment change. I've only ever had to do it to a player once.

One of my players was doing this lone wolf paladin type thing, and he offered up a member of his party who he didn't get along with to save his own life.

If you've ever read Something Positive there is a part in there with a whiney D&D player, sounds like it would be good for the soul right now. Long story short one character was playing as a stand in for her friend, and one of the guys was being an a** because the game would be 'too complicated for a chick to understand' and that she 'couldn't play as a girl because he's playing as a girl'... It went on and on. So, as a druid, she animated some hillbilly trees and had them... do things to his character. It is not a graphic comic in that way, but the message is pretty clear.

I have vowed that someday I will have a plan in place for dealing with unseemly players in a similar method. And I almost got to use one of them, I just needed one more level on my sorceress... And then he moved away and I lost that character sheet. I have no idea where she went to. I was going to use Night Visitor on him for like, a week in game. I love blue magic, terrible offensive capabilities, and yet...

The way we play that could happen, but it would depend on which god he worships and why he didn't get along with the party member. Even then I think we'd have had some intervention from the DM because he doesn't care for that kind of foul play. Also, sometimes, just sometimes, tears work on him. Not real tears, just that expression of complete devastation that usually comes a minute or so before tears. But it has to be legit, he always knows when we're faking it, he was born with a loaded D20 when it comes to sense motive.

Quotable Genius

9,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Supreme Supporter 500
ratgirl34

I'll definitely have to look into that.

I've had to intervene a few times on account of my players being total tool bags, but I can honestly say I've never had tears at my table, unless they were from laughing.

Adventuring Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Yazram Master Kat
I had a player who got upset that one of my plot hooks involved his gear getting stolen. (Not just his, but he saw it that way.) He argued with me for thirty minutes that he was wearing his full plate armor while he slept and thus it could not have been stolen.

It ended when I flat out told him, "Listen, you already wasted our time. You are arguing with the DM about non-magical plate armor as if you were on Athas. Now if you want to continue arguing with me about this then I will scrap this campaign, kill off all of the characters, and we WILL be running Dark Sun from now on."

That pretty much shut him up for a while. I am not 'against' players in my games... except when I DM Athas. And he knew I would make sure to single him out if I could find any opportunity.
ratgirl34

Core rulebooks are great at compensating for low-impact unarmed strikes.

Quote:
I was in a group before this one where a guy refused to make basic characters, so the DM was constantly party-wiping us trying to compensate. He was lawful good, always, but would screw over his own party members by keeping loot for himself that would benefit them.

If I were the DM, he'd be neutral evil, but I'd allow him the delusion that he was lawful good. Of course, I'd have my book of secret PC notes on hand, chronicling why I'd rank him a 59 rather than the 11 he self-identifes as, for just in case he tried to call BS on my in-game hints.

In-game hints? His nearby nexus of minor evil being a "static" that makes Detect Evil harder to use. Enemies seeming to dodge or deflect blows more skillfully if he has an aligned debuff (such as, say, the negative level from using a +1 Holy weapon.) Good NPC clerics being reluctant to be of service, and even becoming unfriendly if there's also a cleric or paladin of the same deity in the party.

Also, why was the DM killer-dungeoning instead of using his right to fiat to prevent the need? ...oh, roommate. That'd make sense.

Quote:

...so it wasn't the rash of party kills and needing to roll another character every other week. It was being punished with an alignment change.

rofl

Shirtless Member

Sandokiri
ratgirl34

Core rulebooks are great at compensating for low-impact unarmed strikes.

Quote:
I was in a group before this one where a guy refused to make basic characters, so the DM was constantly party-wiping us trying to compensate. He was lawful good, always, but would screw over his own party members by keeping loot for himself that would benefit them.

If I were the DM, he'd be neutral evil, but I'd allow him the delusion that he was lawful good. Of course, I'd have my book of secret PC notes on hand, chronicling why I'd rank him a 59 rather than the 11 he self-identifes as, for just in case he tried to call BS on my in-game hints.

In-game hints? His nearby nexus of minor evil being a "static" that makes Detect Evil harder to use. Enemies seeming to dodge or deflect blows more skillfully if he has an aligned debuff (such as, say, the negative level from using a +1 Holy weapon.) Good NPC clerics being reluctant to be of service, and even becoming unfriendly if there's also a cleric or paladin of the same deity in the party.

Also, why was the DM killer-dungeoning instead of using his right to fiat to prevent the need? ...oh, roommate. That'd make sense.

Quote:

...so it wasn't the rash of party kills and needing to roll another character every other week. It was being punished with an alignment change.

rofl

It was my first group, I didn't know any better than to think that re-rolling every game was our fault somehow lol It was good practice anyway.

I'm going to have to write that down, just in case I ever start my own group or something. I'm pretty finicky about who I hang out with and I dislike new people to a group... But you never know, I might actually give it a shot.

In hindsight it is very weird that that's what it took to get rid of him. I mean, it didn't seem like a big deal to me at the time, but I guess he thought that's what his personal 'alignment' was and refused to play a character who wasn't lawful good.

At the time the party dynamic was pretty funny. Lawful good, lawful evil, and neutral. We had a lot of laughs, or, the lawful evil player and I did anyway. LG kept pissing me off in character so I was plotting against him with LE... Who was plotting against everyone ultimately.

And seeing how the game goes with my current group I can see why my current DM refuses to allow evil characters unless it's an evil campaign, which we only tried twice and party wiped because all co-operation dissolved.

Quotable Genius

9,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Amorra Aeterna
Yazram Master Kat
I had a player who got upset that one of my plot hooks involved his gear getting stolen. (Not just his, but he saw it that way.) He argued with me for thirty minutes that he was wearing his full plate armor while he slept and thus it could not have been stolen.

It ended when I flat out told him, "Listen, you already wasted our time. You are arguing with the DM about non-magical plate armor as if you were on Athas. Now if you want to continue arguing with me about this then I will scrap this campaign, kill off all of the characters, and we WILL be running Dark Sun from now on."

That pretty much shut him up for a while. I am not 'against' players in my games... except when I DM Athas. And he knew I would make sure to single him out if I could find any opportunity.

My players are good for realizing that I am not against them. They also realize that I don't take kindly to them arguing that fact.
At one point, one of my players was tracking a drug lord with a reward for his capture. There was a guards at the door of the drug lord's hideout who cast fireball at anyone who gave the wrong password. First time, the player guessed and got it wrong, so he went out and did some recon. He found out the password was 'Not a guard'. He goes back to the house and said 'I'm not a guard.' So, he got hit with another fireball.
He totally lost It at me, said I was an awful DM and so on. I told him I had given him the password, him saying it incorrectly was not my fault, but if he didn't like me as a DM, no one was making him stay.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff