Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ive been thinking and debating this over in my head. I dont play at tournies, so it dosnt actualy affect me. But, I was wondering...whats the point of making the cards to begin with, if your not gonna allow them in legal play?

I understand both sides. Id not want to be on the end of some killer card combo, but If I had the cards myself, and its a tourny, IE prizes and rankings on the line, of course I would use my best damned cards possible.

I know they get play tested, and cant realise every little combo till a player busts out the power deck, but still, to have some of your best cards outright banned must suck. I wouldnt mind them being restricted.

What are all your thoughts on the banning/restricting of cards?
IF you don't play in tournaments, then don't complain and just play with the cards anyway.
it makes sense because some cards get slipped past playtesting. Best example is Dark Ritual for MTG, one black mana to recieve three black... definately overpowered. Heck, dunno how it survived so many times.

Another, Skullclamp, gives target creature +1/-1 as one of the new equip artifacts (doesn't sound like much) then someone realized, when you equip to an enemy creature of one defence, you can slaughter it, then keep placing it as many times as you want on more enemy creatures (that creation is yet another reason why I despise mirrodin block). so when things like that happen, definately need to ban said cards of that like when their power is entirely to good, over the cost to play that card.
hell i remember playing the battletech tcg back in the day for the northern calif. southern oreg. tournies. during that time they submitted and banned three things that i did for other tournies in the US for other battletech friends of the game, you may yell at me for this. 1. the tatical nuke= i won a few games buy planting on one of theses with an advance manufacturing techqniues, 2. the vehicle deck (no mechs) with scuicide troops equiped to VTOLs which left them unblockable cause great long term damage, 3. the big bopper deck containing severeal dashi/direwolfs and pulling off a way to to get two out by turn 4
Jerrik
it makes sense because some cards get slipped past playtesting. Best example is Dark Ritual for MTG, one black mana to recieve three black... definately overpowered. Heck, dunno how it survived so many times.

Another, Skullclamp, gives target creature +1/-1 as one of the new equip artifacts (doesn't sound like much) then someone realized, when you equip to an enemy creature of one defence, you can slaughter it, then keep placing it as many times as you want on more enemy creatures (that creation is yet another reason why I despise mirrodin block). so when things like that happen, definately need to ban said cards of that like when their power is entirely to good, over the cost to play that card.

Thats not why it was banned. It was the card draw attached to it.
If it was a simple matter of obliderating creatures, it wouldent be so bad. Its the insane card draw.
i say it's good for instance for magic at the pro tourments and others everyone was useing skullclamps and golbings and shuch and in this new set everyone is useing the artifact lands with arcborn ranvger.
which tcg's do you play thrance? you should try to participate at least one tourney, if not just hang out at places that hold tourneys. this will give you a little better understanding of how banned/restricted lists work. ask people there about the decks that they run and how the banned/restricted list affected how they play. the banned/restricted lists are developed over time as new sets come out, they havent been out since of the start of tcg's. the banned/restricted lists are created to help balance the games.
The way it was explained to me (in M:tG at least) was that they dont make the cards with the actions in mind that lead to the banning. Players just find ways to utilize them that make them impossible to defeat. When that happens, they restrict the cards that cause the undefeatable combinations.

It keeps the games fair in my opinion. I mean it's great to want to win with your best cards, but is it better to win because you actually built a good deck and played well, or because you put together a combination anyone can do and win with guaranteed? It's just the fact that you win the prizes, you also want to win respect from yourself and other players.
Thrance
Ive been thinking and debating this over in my head. I dont play at tournies, so it dosnt actualy affect me. But, I was wondering...whats the point of making the cards to begin with, if your not gonna allow them in legal play?

I understand both sides. Id not want to be on the end of some killer card combo, but If I had the cards myself, and its a tourny, IE prizes and rankings on the line, of course I would use my best damned cards possible.

I know they get play tested, and cant realise every little combo till a player busts out the power deck, but still, to have some of your best cards outright banned must suck. I wouldnt mind them being restricted.

What are all your thoughts on the banning/restricting of cards?
You have to restrict cards some times.. the creators just didnt realize what monsters they created.. In MTG, for instance, the Mox's.. if they didnt restrict those, it wouldve been rediculous. nobody would use lands anymore.. just nuts.

Invisible Giver

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Jerrik

A little FYI, you can't equip to an opponents creature
Cards get banned because designers and developers screw up. Would you like to live in a world where everyone plays 4 Tolarian Academies or 40 Lightning Bolts?

@malakhar: You got what you wanted.... effective 3/20/05, the artifact lands, Disciple of the Vault, and Arcbound Ravager are all banned in Standard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff