Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mythical Rare

Ah. Well, that's disappointing...the ability to drop a soulbonding creature via Flash seems like it'd be perfect.

The more I look at the Soulbond mechanic, though, the more confusing and almost Sliver-ish it starts to feel...I mean, if I've got 2 creatures with Soulbond on the field paired with each other, and I drop a 3rd Soulbonder onto the field...

1) can I pair it with one of them?
2) Will it gain the effects they grant as well?

The ultimate mental image I'm getting is about 5 or 6 Soulbonders all paired with a Wingcrafter to create a massive flying army, and then giving them all a +2/+2 from a single Joint Assault.

Dedcadent Pants

Willexia Rennar
Ah. Well, that's disappointing...the ability to drop a soulbonding creature via Flash seems like it'd be perfect.

The more I look at the Soulbond mechanic, though, the more confusing and almost Sliver-ish it starts to feel...I mean, if I've got 2 creatures with Soulbond on the field paired with each other, and I drop a 3rd Soulbonder onto the field...

The ultimate mental image I'm getting is about 5 or 6 Soulbonders all paired with a Wingcrafter to create a massive flying army, and then giving them all a +2/+2 from a single Joint Assault.

1) No. It explicitly states in the Soulbound reminder text that you can only bind if ~this~ is unbound.
2) N/A.

Mythical Rare

Ah. Aaaand my interest in the mechanic just flatlined.

Never mind, then!

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
LiaThistle
Willexia Rennar

1) No. It explicitly states in the Soulbound reminder text that you can only bind if ~this~ is unbound.
2) N/A.

But two unbonded Soulbond creatures can bond to each other right and give each other their ability right?

So what did everyone get at the prerelease?? anything good?

Mythical Rare

I would think so. If I had a Wolfir Silverheart in play, unbonded, and brought out another, they could pair with each other and become 12/12, right?

...egads, that's a scary thought. O_o;

Dedcadent Pants

FurryTyrant
LiaThistle
Willexia Rennar

2) N/A.

But two unbonded Soulbond creatures can bond to each other right and give each other their ability right?

That's correct.
So is what Willexia said.

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
LiaThistle
FurryTyrant
LiaThistle
Willexia Rennar

2) N/A.

That's correct.
So is what Willexia said.

holy s**t.. that's a lil broken there..

Mythical Rare

It balances out nicely; together you get 2 creatures with significant power, but if either dies the other loses alll the benefits.

Take my 2x-Wolfir-Silverheart example. While paired, they're both 12/12. Go For The Throat on either one, though, and the other takes a -8/-8 hit to the junk.

Dedcadent Pants

Willexia Rennar
It balances out nicely; together you get 2 creatures with significant power, but if either dies the other loses alll the benefits.

Take my 2x-Wolfir-Silverheart example. While paired, they're both 12/12. Go For The Throat on either one, though, and the other takes a -8/-8 hit to the junk.

I was gonna say that.

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Willexia Rennar

True but if the person doesn't get the "Go for Throat" right away.. that's gonna hurt.. alot..

Mythical Rare

True, but the simple fact of the matter is that Soulbonding creatures can potentially be powerful, but they're ultimately dependent on other monsters, and they're completely without ability on their own.

Silverheart has the potential to go up to being a 12/12 paired with another, but on its own it's a 4/4 for 5 mana...with nothing to go with that effect, you're left with an overpriced vanilla monster.

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Willexia Rennar
True, but the simple fact of the matter is that Soulbonding creatures can potentially be powerful, but they're ultimately dependent on other monsters, and they're completely without ability on their own.

Silverheart has the potential to go up to being a 12/12 paired with another, but on its own it's a 4/4 for 5 mana...with nothing to go with that effect, you're left with an overpriced vanilla monster.

True but you can still make it an 8/8 even if you pair it up w/ a Llanowar elf which would be a 5/5. So by turn 3 or so you can an 8/8 and a 5/5. Still pretty awesome
Zanzibar XII
I honestly don't like how the whole Innistrad Block is based around creatures. Yes, there is some Graveyard play, but not so much to make that interesting. Scars had some goofy things you could do with it, like stack maipulation or Palifuration. Innistrad hasn't really impressed me much, and Avacyn doesn't seem to do that, either.
i agree. i do love the innistrad block though. im not impressed with the avacyn block although i will add the set to my collection. 1. my zombies is a fast and attack deck. 2. angels are easy to counter. 3. all creatures being indestructible can still be hit by abilities to die or exiled. the most common purchased deck will be the g/w angel or the wolfir deck. i tend to like my spirits w/ hexproof. ill prefer spirits that cost 3 or less rather than angels who cost 4 or more with couple abilities that can easily be destroyed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff