Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Wife

I honestly don't like how the whole Innistrad Block is based around creatures. Yes, there is some Graveyard play, but not so much to make that interesting. Scars had some goofy things you could do with it, like stack maipulation or Palifuration. Innistrad hasn't really impressed me much, and Avacyn doesn't seem to do that, either.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

I try not to compare things to champions, it creates some negative connotations about a sets powerlevel. (Champs was fun but it was a drastic dip in power level (albeit it was intentional to power down a busted standard format). Its not quite as interdependent on itself as CoK block was (spirit and arcane could almost exclusivly interact with cards within the block), but it seems a wee bit bombier with some nice interplay with the surrounding format.

Dedcadent Pants

Zanzibar XII
I honestly don't like how the whole Innistrad Block is based around creatures. Yes, there is some Graveyard play, but not so much to make that interesting. Scars had some goofy things you could do with it, like stack maipulation or Palifuration. Innistrad hasn't really impressed me much, and Avacyn doesn't seem to do that, either.

Most blocks have been based around creatures since Onslaught block. You could argue that Odyssey was, too, but it is impossible to deny Onslaught block's effect.

Since Onslaught, there have been two tribal blocks (inclusive), at least two with heavy tribal themes (including Innistrad), and the majority of "splashy" cards are...wait for it...creatures (some legendary wink ). An increasing majority of cards (again, since Onslaught) that get considered "staples" are creatures.

This design philosophy is based on Wizards's market research, which, given their sales numbers, is accurate, despite the fact that there are some players, like me, who prefer the spell-slinging version to the combat-based version of Magic.

On the other hand, it does mean that more often than not, you can wait a set or a block and just rotate your Eternal or Modern deck's threats; the answers will still be the same.

Edit: On a tangental note, I like commas. ,,,,,,,,,,, heart xp

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Wizards is doing the best they can to make creatures matter more and spells matter less (hey mana leak/wrath of god, how are you feelin right now?) Titans are the extreme example (but they have also been the sickest creatures printed within the modern card development process) but everything is trending upwards (delver is a highpowered mistake as is snaps but thats a different arguement).(I seem to love brackets more then needed XP )

Mythical Rare

Making AVR in a more subdued ROE style definitely seems to have been a good call on Wizard's part, I think. I'm a little disappointed the Transform mechanic didn't come along (especially since cards like Thraben Sentry/Thraben Militia show it can work in ways beyond physical mutation), but the overall feel of the set just seems to work.

It does make me kind of annoyed that I can't afford another trip to Anchorage this weekend for the pre-release. :/

On a side note, I picked up 2 NPR pre-cons this weekend (U/B and G/U ones, specifically), each having the requisite pack from the set. The fact that both packs contained a Mythic Rare is unbelievable enough...the fact that they both had the exact same Mythic Rare (specifically Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur) is just...huh. (A couple of Swords would've been nice, but...oh well.)
Emrakul
Wizards is doing the best they can to make creatures matter more and spells matter less (hey mana leak/wrath of god, how are you feelin right now?) Titans are the extreme example (but they have also been the sickest creatures printed within the modern card development process) but everything is trending upwards (delver is a highpowered mistake as is snaps but thats a different arguement).(I seem to love brackets more then needed XP )

literally none of those parentheses were necessary.

Willexia Rennar
Making AVR in a more subdued ROE style definitely seems to have been a good call on Wizard's part, I think. I'm a little disappointed the Transform mechanic didn't come along (especially since cards like Thraben Sentry/Thraben Militia show it can work in ways beyond physical mutation), but the overall feel of the set just seems to work.

I dunno. I enjoyed DKA and INN's flavour. AVR to me is just boring angels vs demons. Angels and demons are ALWAYS boring. Give me some more dudes in clothes holding their ground against unspeakable horrors.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

I know they were uneeded (but they are fun). Anyway, the set is looking real sweet for limited. Hoping to crack some miracles and make people rage. Otherwise hoping for a good sealed pool and barring that enough money to pay for my flights. The promo card isn't really exciting in the slightest. We need mythic promos back.

Dedcadent Pants

The Sky Does Not Bow
Emrakul

literally none of those parentheses were necessary.

Willexia Rennar

I dunno. I enjoyed DKA and INN's flavour. AVR to me is just boring angels vs demons. Angels and demons are ALWAYS boring. Give me some more dudes in clothes holding their ground against unspeakable horrors.

On that note, the Angels precon vs. the Demons precon is a very lackluster fight - the Angels dominate.

9,850 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Person of Interest 200
drafting non-dci at my local shop does 3 packs of the same for first 2 weeks set is out. I wonder how that draft will go..

What I've seen so far is alright I guess but Cavern of Souls should have been a legendary land. Just saying.

Mythical Rare

I won't argue that making it Legendary would have been justified, but for now, I'm happy that it's not.

On a side note, just throwing out a prediction on the AVR pre-con decks...1 is going to be a G/U and focused on the Soulbond mechanic, with Alchemist's Refuge and Hinterland Border included. (Okay, so there's a bit of wishful thinking included in that prediction...)

Dedcadent Pants

Willexia Rennar
I won't argue that making it Legendary would have been justified, but for now, I'm happy that it's not.

On a side note, just throwing out a prediction on the AVR pre-con decks...1 is going to be a G/U and focused on the Soulbond mechanic, with Alchemist's Refuge and Hinterland Border included. (Okay, so there's a bit of wishful thinking included in that prediction...)

Lists are up, and it's been known for some time that G/U was going to be Soulbound.

The big disappointment is that there isn't a Miracle deck.

Mythical Rare

Oh, they are? My bad....I'd looked but hadn't seen them.

Still, yay for my...umm...being...able to spot the obvious? sweatdrop

Dedcadent Pants

Willexia Rennar
Oh, they are? My bad....I'd looked but hadn't seen them.

Still, yay for my...umm...being...able to spot the obvious? sweatdrop

It happens. wink

Mythical Rare

If the list I just saw for it is accurate, I'm gonna be severely disappointed...it has neither Hinterland Border nor Alchemist's Refuge in it! D:

Dedcadent Pants

Willexia Rennar
If the list I just saw for it is accurate, I'm gonna be severely disappointed...it has neither Hinterland Border nor Alchemist's Refuge in it! D:

Hinterland Border was in an Innistrad Event Deck (the one that was really close to the list I made during Innistrad spoiler season).
Alchemist's Refuge...big surprise. The second rare in an intro deck is 1) most likely a creature 2) usually the same color as the main color), 3) if not a creature, some big splashy effect that costs 4+ mana, and 3.1) never a land. DDs and Event decks are the only precons thus far to offer rare lands.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff