Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would wishing to gain a feat permanently work ?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on April 15, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.

The poll says it all.
I have brought this up in other places on the internet and it always generates an interesting spectrum of opinions. I thought I would feed it to Gaia Forums and see what comes of it here.
Feel free to discuss, I look forward to the opinions !
A wish can supply you with a magical item of up to 25,000 gp in value. Subtracting a little bit from that since a feat becomes inherent, I would allow a wish to grant a user a feat, if the effect of that feat could be replicated in the magical item creation rules with a value of 20k or less.
Daelin
I would allow a wish to grant a user a feat, if the effect of that feat could be replicated in the magical item creation rules with a value of 20k or less.

Not heard that idea before.
My only question is how do you know what feat can be replicated by a magic item for a cost of 20k or less ? I have never seen any information about this pricing, and I just looked through the DMG to make sure it wasnt listed there, and I didnt see it (3.0 version, not 3.5). Is this something ad hoc or is there a listing or guidelines out there in DnD land I dont know about ?
It's not in the DMG. It'd require some DM call.

For example, Weapon Focus gives you a +1 to hit with a single weapon, unnamed bonus.

That'd cost a little over 2000 gp. (1*1*2000 (standard cost for a +1 bonus on a weapon), with modifiers plus and minus since the bonus is only to-hit, and unnamed).

Thinking about it, that's a pretty low cost (not that I really like weapon focus as a feat..it's a little too limited). I'd also instate a limit on the number of times this could be used, not unlike the way stat bonuses are limited...perhaps a 20k value overall, forever.

Some feats would be much harder to price out. Sun School, for example, would be tough, but generally, anything that gives a flat numerical bonus shouldn't be too hard to guess at.
btdmh
Daelin
I would allow a wish to grant a user a feat, if the effect of that feat could be replicated in the magical item creation rules with a value of 20k or less.

Not heard that idea before.
My only question is how do you know what feat can be replicated by a magic item for a cost of 20k or less ? I have never seen any information about this pricing, and I just looked through the DMG to make sure it wasnt listed there, and I didnt see it (3.0 version, not 3.5). Is this something ad hoc or is there a listing or guidelines out there in DnD land I dont know about ?

3e Arms and Equipment Guide - having a magic item that grants a feat carries a cost of 10k for the feat itself, and an additional 10k per pre-requisite feat.

So a bracelet that granted Power Attack would cost 10k.

A bracelet that granted Improved Sunder would cost 20k (10k, plus 10k for the Power Attack requirement. Note, that the bracelet does not also grant you Power Attack unless you pay for that seperatly)

A bracelet that granted you Whirlwind Attack would cost 50k. 10k for Whirlwind Attack, and an additional 10k each for the Dodge, Expertise, Mobility, and Spring Attack requirements (thankfully you don't have to pay for their nested pre-reqs).
Even better. That covers most of the grey area that I didn't, and increases the feat cost enough to be somewhat self-limiting.
Depends on how it was worded. But I'm picky like that smile
Threx
Depends on how it was worded. But I'm picky like that smile
Generally the way I run it is if the wish comes from an item (a ring, say) then you'd better be veeeeeery careful on how you word it. If the wish comes from a creature (genie, etc) then the granting entity is the one who gets to interpret what you mean within the context of what you say. Ask a friendly djinn and she'll be far more likely to interpret the wish in your favor (possibly warning you if you're making a bad choice of wish), than say a pit fiend who will do everything he can to insure that your wish in some way benefits him.
Feel free to wish for a feat. It does work. But remember it's the dm's job to make your wish come back and bite you in the butt.
faradaysdisciple
Feel free to wish for a feat. It does work. But remember it's the dm's job to make your wish come back and bite you in the butt.

The more retarded the wish, the more likely I am to mess with it.
For example
Wish: I wish a better sword.
Me: Here, its +2.

Wish: I wish for the DragonLance
Me: here it is... and the Dragon who has been hoarding it.
Threx
faradaysdisciple

For example

Reminds me of a comic book...Poison Elves.
One issue the misanthropic antihero, Lusiphur Malache, ends up procuring a lamp. Upon releasing the Djinni inside (who then immedeatly throttled the poor Elf thinking for a moment he was the guy who first imprisoned her...and then freely ressurected him...) Lusiphur was given three wishes, which was the going rate last the Djinni heard.
1.) Lusiphur wanted a very specific magical sword, Cinlach.
2.) He wanted to become faster.
3.) He wanted a legendary item he wasn't even sure existed, which was capable of ripping someone's soul from their body and consuming it at the weilder's direction.

He got all three wishes.

About ten minutes later, the Elven Warduke to whom Cinlach belonged was teleported to Lusiphur by his court wizard. Lusiphur versus a trained soldier a couple hundred years older than him. Lucky he won, because the Warduke's mage was healing the Duke as the fight went...but a different mage scrying on all this (named Tenth) decided to "even" the fight by frying the Duke's mage.

Lusiphur was THEN caught by Tenth, a powerful Elven mage from whom the Djinni had drawn the power to make Lusiphur faster. Tenth proceeded to toy with Lusiphur, making a game where both the Elves were capable of polymorphing...Lusiphur's goal to reach the end of a canyon, while Tenth would try killing him. Luse barely managed to win that one too, by turning himself into a flea on Tenth.

Lastly, Lusiphur got tracked down by the owner of the soul-eating orb...an E'jja. E'jja were once human assassins, the greatest of them. An entity know as The Core offers them eternal life and near invincibility for them to be it's puppets when they desire. Needless to say, that fight wasn't pretty, and Lusiphur's a** was only saved when his ex wife, a witch, banished the E'jja so it could never enter their dimension again. (Did I mention E'jja can hop through dimensions at will?)

Anyway, long story short...be careful what you wish for. (Oh yeah, and all this happened over about five different issues of Poison Elves. Good comic, very fantasy-punk, highly reccommend it.)
Heh, Ryll had the same thing in mind that I did when I was thinking about wish interpretation.

Aah, good ol' Desert of the Third Sin.

"Flow with this fire, wardork."
Peddy
Heh, Ryll had the same thing in mind that I did when I was thinking about wish interpretation.

Aah, good ol' Desert of the Third Sin.

"Flow with this fire, wardork."

Dude, you're a Poison Elves fan too? eek Only people I know who've heard of it are people that have bummed my trade paperbacks from me to read!
btw, is it just me, or does that item Luse gets that belonged to the E'jja never come into play again in the series?
Ryll
Dude, you're a Poison Elves fan too? eek Only people I know who've heard of it are people that have bummed my trade paperbacks from me to read!
btw, is it just me, or does that item Luse gets that belonged to the E'jja never come into play again in the series?

The Well of Souls. I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned again. I just always assumed he never learned how to use it, stuffed it into his bag and forgot about it.
Threx
faradaysdisciple

For example

Yeah... this is what I do in my group. It's like if someone asks for immortality, you make sure they get chopped up into little pieces and live forever scattered around a room.

I think it depends on the DM, personally I think Wish is a good waste of a spell for people too lazy to go out and get something. But then again I have tokens in my campaign (like exp, exchangable for a list of pre-approved abilities, feats, items, and such) which makes it super-easy to get things like feats if you roleplay. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff