Magical Shounen

9,550 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Timid 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Glitterama
Kitagawa Yusuke
Glitterama
Already out of school with my Bachelor of Fine Arts; concentration in Advertising and Commercial Photography. We did lots of studies in theory of light and business/marketing.

i now work for a large art museum as a photographer in their imaging department. I'm hoping to be work there for the next 5+ years.

I'm getting my Associates in Fine Arts in the Spring. I'm thinking about becoming some type of Photographer, but makes me a little bit anxious thinking it. Right now I'm trying to build up my portfolio but hmm, it's kind of difficult thinking of a career because I'm nervous I won't make it. Gotta talk myself out of it though.

What was school like for you? Do you have any advice to share (it's okay if you don't! I hope I'm not being a bother)

you're not being a bother at all!

its completely understandable to be afraid of going into the arts. before going to art school, i went to a university to study psychology; it wasn't the first thing i wanted to do, but i was afraid of how i was gonna make money. needless to say, psychology didn't work out. i was miserable with my major and i dropped out about a year in, and applied to Brooks Institute of Photography in California.

im gonna be honest, photo school, especially one as rigorous and intensive as brooks was, was NOT a walk in the park. my class started with 30-35 kids, and by the end of our first year, half our class had dropped out. i think a lot of people just thought "oh it's just clicking a button" and then realized how hardcore the classes were, saw how much work had to go into it, and couldn't handle it. our first year and a half was basics; basic camera operation, perspective, equivalent exposures, visual design, lighting theory, etc. LOTS of sleepless nights... LOTS of comp books and money spend on prints you aren't satisfied with.... LOTS of critiques that crush you. longest i've been in a studio on one project was 24 hours, with 2 straight 12 hour shifts in the studio.
the next year and a half was made up of discovering what kind of photography we wanted to go into. we had people going into studio work, fine art, sports action, fashion, architectural, etc. i leaned towards fine art, but i also have a great love for studio work (products, still life, etc). we also had to take marketing classes and become proficient at running our own businesses, as many photographers are freelancers. as hard as i say it was, it weeded out the people who weren't serious.

my advice? you need to be really dedicated to it, and you need to really want it. don't let your fear of not making enough money hold you back from it; if you love what you do enough, you will find a way to benefit from it. i've been graduated for about 3 years now, and i now work for one of the biggest art museums in LA, doing photography every day. i never thought i would be here 6 years ago when i was submitting my applications into brooks, scared as s**t, wondering if what i was doing was the best idea. come to find out, it was the best damn decision i ever made.

if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Thank you so much for your response!
I used to be a Networking major, but it made me miserable. Originally I wanted to be an art major, but my dad pushed me towards computers. I'm good with them, but I'm not that good. So I transferred to another community college that had a Fine Arts program.

A lot of what you described sounds like a bit of what I went through in the studio. Endless hours of painting and drawing. Trying to balance out other classes, and I don't drive (bus life), so it was even more difficult. x_x But I don't regret it (besides the bad back). I really love to paint and draw, I just need more confidence. Though I got a new drawing tablet recently, because my one of four years died last week. Cries. But yeah, I really love traditional art, and as part of my major we had to purchase a DLSR for a photo class. I'm pretty decent and would love to explore more things with it. Right now I'm taking photos of my aunt's products to help start off her business online, and it's exciting (she even pays me!).

You sound like you're having a great time, and reading all this makes me feel a little pumped. Right now I'm part time since I got most of my core classes out the way. Only need three more to graduate and I'm out of here. I think once I'm more established in life, I'd like to go back to school for something art related again. I've thought about illustration but hmmm. Ever hear of OMOCAT? I want to produce work like her. * 3*

Questionable Sex Symbol

I have a BS in Psychology with a minor in Social Science Education.
I'm currently working on a MA in Counselor Education (School and Mental Health Counseling).

My dream job would be to have my own practice and work exclusively with transgender individuals (counseling, resources, HRT letters, support groups and the like), but I think I'm going to start as a school counselor and then reach for that goal when I'm a little older. It will take an additional two years or so to get licensed as a mental health counselor, but I'll be a licensed school counselor straight out of school and my program will find a job for me.

Spoopy Kitten

If/when i plan on taking college classes, it wont be to get a degree or any of that nonsense. If i go, itll be purely for fun because i want to, not because i have to. If/when i go, ill be taking cooking, art, math, metals, computers, and woodworking classes. I may or may not take a business class as well

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Year, uh, heck if I know. I've been taking dual enrollment classes for years getting all my general education credits and such out of the way. Now I'm 19 and three classes away from a B.A. in Criminal Justice because my mom suggested I go to law school. Well, after further research into just what being a lawyer actually entails, I've decided that while I don't mind the content, I don't want to work my behind off at law school just so I can work 60-70 hours a week. I just want a regular job I can do while still having time to, ya' know, have a life. I'm only three credits away from my current major, which I have no freaking clue what to do with - I'm not gonna become a police officer, and the other fields are crazy competitive to get into - so I'm meeting with an adviser today about doing a dual major in Computer Science. I'm hoping to graduate by 23, but it depends on how the program is structured.

I'm both excited and nervous for the new set of courses. I love what computer programming and such that I've done, but I took a so-called Intro course at CTY that basically expected you to have previous experience, kept partnering me up with obnoxious brats who had previous experience and wanted to do everything themselves out of frustration with me, and it just really turned me off of the whole thing. I was just a kid at the time, so rather than realize, "Hey, this is kind of a crappy class that's too advanced for new students and too basic for the experienced students," I thought, "Oh, I'm just too stupid for this." So now I'm admittedly a little bit paranoid that maybe young me is right, and I'm going to walk into that Computing Science I classroom as the only person who doesn't already have a comprehensive knowledge of the languages they're supposed to teach me. I learn just fine when people actually explain things to me. Not so much when they just expect you to be able to put a robot together and have it navigate through a maze on day one.

Oh, and of course I'm also a bit apprehensive about calculus, since it's been a little bit since I've taken a math course more complicated than statistics, but I'm going through some internet courses in algebra and trigonometry. Math is just memorizing rules and following steps, so I should be fine as long as I'm good with the fundamentals. And now that I'm not planning on law school, I don't have to stress so freaking much about keeping a 3.9 GPA. I mean, I still want a good GPA, of course, but I don't need to have a freaking vomit-inducing panic attack if I get so much as a single 'B.'

Moonlight Healer

Will have a B.S in Psychology next spring. I'm definitely planning on going to grad school but I'll probably take at least a year off and maybe try to work for a little while first. I'm hoping to get a PhD in clinical eventually but who knows.

Bashful Phantom

I'm in my first year now, actually. Finally coming to the last two weeks before finals this semester.

My goal at this point is to work in a museum - I want to end up in archiving and curating. So I need to a) get a history degree and b) find a school with a good program for museum work, I guess?
My problem right now is that the community college I'm attending has nothing useful. They have a big nursing program and a lot of different ones for cooking/baking but in terms of what I want to do, there are NO programs for a history degree of any kind (despite there being enough varied history classes to fill credit hours for a two-year), and not even any English programs, ridiculously enough, which is kind of the only thing I'd be willing to fall back on.

Bottom line, if I keep it up at the community college I'm gonna end up with a useless-a** associate's in general studies. I need to transfer somewhere but I don't know how that would work, or where I'd go, especially considering I'm not in any kind of position financially to move anywhere. Actually, there's a really excellent college in my city, St. John's, which I know has some really useful history programs, as well as classic literature, anthropology, ancient languages, a bunch of stuff I'm interested in. But, it's expensive as hell. I'm living off my leftover Pell grant right now.

Yikes. It all sounds so stressful when I write it out like this. sweatdrop

Wilderness Expert

4th year physics major, specializing in astrophysics

Honestly got no idea what to do with my life, for now I'm applying for graduate school and I figured if I don't get in it the first time, I'll work as a lab tech in the lab that I'm currently researching and reapply again. If I don't get in the 2nd time, I figured I'll join the air force... I'm excited over the summer though because I plan on traveling (there's a package deal for recent graduates to travel to Europe for a little over 2 weeks and I'm going to go to Korea to see my family)
Switched degrees once, but for various reasons had to switch schools 3x. Currently being seriously screwed by UW, turning my 4 year BA in accounting to a full 6 years. It's like the harder I work, the further away they move the finish line. Like running in mud. Very demotivated and stressful. But I love the work, I have a future in mind for when I graduate. Just feels like I'll never get there. Currently on year 5 of 6.

garrhardy's Wife

Charitable Dabbler

8,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
this rainbow lover
This is what I tell people when they ask about college: "Um, I just make cake."

I'm a Baking and Pastry Arts major. One more semester left.

That is awesome! What's your favorite thing to whip up so far? biggrin

garrhardy's Wife

Charitable Dabbler

8,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
I'm a fourth year who is going for Recreation and Tourism studies and I also have an associates in Art! I was a full Art major at first but I kind of changed my mind in my sophomore year...But after I graduate with my RTS degree I will be going back to get my Fine arts degree. I literally have 6 classes left.
I wanted to become a pastor for a long time but that changed to being a psychologist/counselor and now I wish to be a computer scientist so that I can make my own games and/or work for a big company like Microsoft. I LOVE computers and I hope I can learn just about everything about computers so I may get other computer degrees as well.

Bloodsucker

I'm getting my Associates for accounting tech. this May. Already am employed in my field, but I'm going to get my bachelors so I can get higher pay.
In my 6th year of univerity, Criminal Justice/Political Science double major. I had a lot of classes not work out. I'm academically a Jr. My immediate plans are working to pay the bills and getting my classes done. I should be done with college in two years.

Noble Kitten

14,750 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Timid 100
I'm a 2nd/3rd year of college. Because of dual credit in high school I started college classified as a junior but only a handful of those hours actually count for credit towards my degree. Currently my major is Biomedical Sciences/pre-vet with a minor in Psychology but I plan on changing my major to Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences at the start of next school year. When I chose my major I didn't really put too much thought into it. I thought I'd like biomedical science because it's a pre-vet degree but most of the classes are pathology and I realized I didn't really like the classes. So I'm hoping to officially change my major next semester, needed to take a few biology courses first. Chose to change it to Wildlife and Fisheries because after talking to an advisor and looking over the degree plan I found out that the prerequisite classes were very similar to Biomedical Science's so I wouldn't have to retake any classes however the electives looked much more interesting. Wildlife and Fisheries would also meet the prerequisites for vet school if I decide to go that route. I don't quite know what I want to do after I get my bachelors, might go to grad school or vet school if I can get in. I'd like to be an animal behaviorist but I haven't decided if I'd want to do training or research. Animal enrichment seems pretty interesting to me so I'm gonna try to get an internship at a zoo this summer to see if that's something I'd actually like.

Adorable Fisher

I hope to one day be in a place in my life where I can go back to school successfully. I will be year two when I do. Unfortunately, people going back on their word in regards to helping to pay for my college and my health have been factors as to why I can't.

Year: 2
Major: Psychology
Life Plans: Become a counseling psychologist. Or a counseling social worker, LCSW. I think a cool job to have would be a newspaper reporter, but I think that's becoming a thing of the past. I need to do something that won't go out of date, something that people will continue to need.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff