Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Citizen

14,175 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I don't like how ever since the makers of Gaia Online allowed members to have millions of gold, that the large percentage of members have beyond inflated the prices of once upon a time cheap items that costed no more than 5 gold. These vendors are selling items beyond the billions! We can't afford most of the items that we see now in the Marketplace. The administrators, moderators, or whoever handles the pricing needs to limit how high vendors can price their items. It's not fair to the rest of us who are just trying to have fun shopping on Gaia.

Mercurio DeRosa's Other Half

Hallowed Warlock

NO.

Implementing price caps on the market will never happen and never work. Why? Simple - more people will ditch selling their items in the mp and take them to the exchange, where there are no price caps.
All this would do is of course make some things much harder to find.

Not to mention Gaia's pretty hands off when it comes to the MP and it'll hopefully stay that way.

Unstoppable Krampus

It's the users who handle pricing in the MP. If I have a shirt that cost me 5 gold, I can sell it for 5bil if I want. If you don't think an item, any item, is worth the price it's being sold at, just don't buy it.

User Image

Premium Prophet

3,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
I totally agree that the MP should stay in the hands of the users without a price cap, but the prices of some things are just ridiculous. I was just in the MP and saw "Green Crumpled Construction Paper" for 23,000. It's highway robbery for sure!

Benevolent Feeder

The only reason prices are high is because Gaia flooded the marketplace with gold by selling it for real life cash.
It doesn't take a genius to see that it's simple supply and demand.
If you want to stop the source, don't bother, we tried already.
Just buy what you can from the gold shops if you can't afford MP prices.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

People would just find ways around it, such as the exchange.
That would only make it worse in the long run because then the 5% marketplace tax is avoided too.
Not to mention even if they would disable that feature and use the cap,
there would be nothing to be sold,
nothing is worth the selling price and people could just buy the MP empty.
There would be nothing left to buy.
There is absolutely nothing that can be done about this inflation.

Perfect Saint

Sadly, if people are able afford the prices in the MP since the prices are user-determined, it's now up to you to match the buying power of the rest of the site. The prices will not lower for you if the users do not think it should lower since everyone here needs to keep up or be left behind. It's the new Gaia way.
I agree Gaia staff need to fix this issue, I have been a member of Gaia since 2006, i was on for years, had my account stolen by an ex boyfriend and I just re signed up.

On this new account, i have been here 4 days and i have 3 million gold. Just from the clickables every day. It showed me how much the gaia gold has inflated since I have been gone.
It is ridiculous! In the old days, 3 million took EFFORT to save and earn, now you need literal BILLIONS to buy anything. Its almost enough to make me not want to continue being here...

Frankly, I don't think gaia staff gives any sort of damn about gaiaonline members, they just want to pander their cash shop garbage and continue to ruin the market.

In the old days, announcements had a purpose, to UPDATE site stuff, to holiday events and mangas, but now EVERY update is just some new thing that you gotta pay for.

Gaia has gone to s**t.

Skilled Genius

Kaiyuko Snowleopard
I agree Gaia staff need to fix this issue, I have been a member of Gaia since 2006, i was on for years, had my account stolen by an ex boyfriend and I just re signed up.

On this new account, i have been here 4 days and i have 3 million gold. Just from the clickables every day. It showed me how much the gaia gold has inflated since I have been gone.
It is ridiculous! In the old days, 3 million took EFFORT to save and earn, now you need literal BILLIONS to buy anything. Its almost enough to make me not want to continue being here...

Frankly, I don't think gaia staff gives any sort of damn about gaiaonline members, they just want to pander their cash shop garbage and continue to ruin the market.

In the old days, announcements had a purpose, to UPDATE site stuff, to holiday events and mangas, but now EVERY update is just some new thing that you gotta pay for.

Gaia has gone to s**t.
You're welcome to leave if you're not happy. lol

Magical Girl

35,050 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
First off, Gaia doesn't control the prices in the marketplace. The users control the marketplace not the people who run Gaia. And the users set the prices they do because they know that there are people who are willing to buy it for that price.

Also we used to have a price cap in the marketplace. The users asked for Gaia to remove it so Gaia did. I don't see Gaia putting it back. If they did it would just cause people to stop using the marketplace and moving over to the exchange. Remember we want people to use the marketplace so that gold is removed with the tax.

Writer

Total Moon
I don't like how ever since the makers of Gaia Online allowed members to have millions of gold, that the large percentage of members have beyond inflated the prices of once upon a time cheap items that costed no more than 5 gold. These vendors are selling items beyond the billions! We can't afford most of the items that we see now in the Marketplace. The administrators, moderators, or whoever handles the pricing needs to limit how high vendors can price their items. It's not fair to the rest of us who are just trying to have fun shopping on Gaia.

The new system rapidly introduces new items and devaluates older items to the point where eventually they are not worth very much. If you can get past the price tag of 100,000,000 on an item and realize that 100,000,000 now is like less than 1,000 was in 2005, you can set your eyes on the item you want and get it when the numerous sales of it make it not be worth anything.

The current system severely penalizes people for wanting the newest shiniest stuff and rewards people who have a lot of patience by selling them what they want for cheap like 6-8 months after the newest shiniest stuff has been around for enough time.

Writer

phoebe-chan
First off, Gaia doesn't control the prices in the marketplace. The users control the marketplace not the people who run Gaia. And the users set the prices they do because they know that there are people who are willing to buy it for that price.

Also we used to have a price cap in the marketplace. The users asked for Gaia to remove it so Gaia did. I don't see Gaia putting it back. If they did it would just cause people to stop using the marketplace and moving over to the exchange. Remember we want people to use the marketplace so that gold is removed with the tax.

Gaia not controlling the market USED to be true. That was before any of the items were re-introduced into the system by Gaia itself. Some sealed envelopes came out, people would buy them, then sell later for a lot. Right now Gaia controls the market by re-introducing items at any Gaia Cash price it wants. If you bought a Win Gaia bundle for 1000 dollars of Gaia Cash when it first came out, most of that stuff in there isn't worth anything anymore because Gaia reintroduced all those items for a low price, directly causing those items' worth to plunge. So, the marketplace is simply not run just by users anymore.

suqarbabey's Husband

Loiterer

Gaia introduced gold generators, thus inflation ensued. They did this because if everything is inflated its hard to obtain. If everything is hard to obtain, people will take the easy route. You wanna know what the easy route is? Gaia Cash.

You can try to dream up any other excuse but ^ there is the truth. Simple as that. smile

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
Y'know... complaints are the same from the old days to now, just with more zeros added to the end of them. The one good thing that's changed, though, is the avatars. Look at the nifty avatars in this thread. Not one of them is all that similar to another, and that's due to the enormous variety of items available now.

Some of those items are even, relatively speaking, cheap. Be sure to hit the daily chance every day, maybe try playing the Lake Kindred game, lurk a bit in the Exchange forum and see how others trade up to make gold-(among other ideas) and you'll start building up to where the rest of us are without having to spend much if any cash for a while. As long as you don't have to have the newest shiny items, you have an enormous number of items to choose from that are much less expensive.

It just takes a willingness to poke about a bit, ask questions (most people are pretty willing to share what they know, be careful of "real good deals" though), and be willing to put in a little bit of time working your way up to buying the newer shinies while making friends along the way. Be warned, new stuff can devalue really fast. A bit of patience will often net you a really nice item for a lot less than many will pay. The nice thing here is that a lot of the older cheaper items can still help you to make a pretty incredible avatar or two.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
Kaiyuko Snowleopard

Gaia has gone to s**t.

You seem to have forgotten the 2008 inflation when the cash shop.

And actually if you look at this thread written back in 2007, it should in prospective about the true nature of things and what has been actually happening over the years. And it even goes over some of the costs of what it takes to run a site like Gaia. The same can be said today though somethings might be a bit on the higher side.

Also according to Gaiapedia, the number one cause of inflation actually isn't the gold generating chance items (They are not true gold generators which seems to be a problem in the community. A true honest to god gold generator is a line of script or programmed bot that allows you to generate gold over time without actually doing anything. In fact it does all the gold getting for you. All you do is sit, wait and actually leave the site. The thing is that this method is ILLEGAL on Gaia and multiple other sites. To be considered within the parameters of the TOS, you have to be here physically clicking on objects, things, selling stuff. That's why gold giving chance items are okay. Gold generators are not. And actually if you look at the first page of the search gold generator gaia, many of which are hacks, which are illegal. None of which are referring to actual items. (Except for one site, but majority are talking about actual illegal hacks)) It's actually the individuals. Which is how it's been since 2008. It's always been like this. It will continue to be like this unless people stop doing what they're doing and just lowball.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff