Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why do I do this? xd

Questionable Creature

You should probably switch to something else. I imagine only older shooters ever had a somewhat decent story. Now they're all about nothing but being a shooter and playing against and with others.

Dangerous Smoker

6,500 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
I honestly don't really like FPS stories. They never seem as interesting as what they could be.

Alien Cosmonaut

Naya Merai
You should probably switch to something else. I imagine only older shooters ever had a somewhat decent story. Now they're all about nothing but being a shooter and playing against and with others.

Ditto on this. Even Pokemon Snap had a better story than almost any FPS released in the last 5 years, and that's technically just a simplistic rail shooter.

User Image

Lightbringer

I don't see a problem with it. The genre of the game doesn't necessarily detract from its ability to tell a story.

IRL Noob

because games like wolfenstein and bioshock exist (:

Hilarious Kitten

7,725 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Wouldn't it be better to stick with RPG for stories?

Hygienic Smoker

The Darkness, Jedi Knight 2, Spec Ops the line (even though its third person pewpewpew), and hell even CoD 4 were some of my fave FPS stories
Snort Like A Pig
because games like wolfenstein and bioshock exist (:

Wolfenstein sure but not Bioshiock
snow on tha bluff
why would you play any game for the story? a large majority of them suck.

This man knows what's what

Loyal Partner

19,540 Points
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Battle: Level Up 200
Maybe you should consider more visual novels or dating sims?
You know, story types that more easily lend themselves to story, if that's what you're after.

In shooters there's only so many ways you can turn 'shooting' into a story element. And, unsurprisingly, it all involves something or someone being shot. Some games manage to do well, like the Last of Us, though in most cases I think it's more in spite of the genre rather than because of it. Last of Us, for example, might have done better if it played more like Until Dawn. It's not impossible, though. Portal would be the large exception to the rule. I think it's really hard to make shooting consistently compelling because it's so often "just killing stuff". Until shooters move away from killing and more towards other things like Portal did with puzzles or other sub-genres, I'm not sure shooting is a very good storytelling medium right now. There's so much oversaturation in the kill-shooter department.

Aged Gawker

Funny, since most games today have terrible story....they spend WAY too much time working on graphics and barely any time on story or gameplay.

Dangerous Genius

Codename Ghost
Why do I do this? xd
Shadow Warrior has a pretty decent story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff