Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Sex Symbol

9,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Answer however you like, but I'm going to throw a few questions out there as jump off points.

Why do you watch Let's plays?

Is there a specific Let's Player that you prefer to watch?

What makes a Let's Play interesting for you?

What do you think makes a bad let's play?

If you dislike let's plays altogether, do you have a specific reason?

Magical Kitten

- Check out new games before I buy them.
- The RadBrad
- Funny and relevant commentary/ not talking over the characters while they are talking.
- Talking over the characters while they are talking.

p.s. your youtube channel link doesn't work for me. emotion_yatta

Widower

Smitten Mage

44,775 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • New Fan 50
  • Team Moira 200
User Image

I watch them because I'm on less than a student's budget and don't have the money to blow on games, when I have to pay other important things.

I like to watch various Let's Players depending how my mood.

Let's Plays are interesting to me if they make fun witty jokes, have good insight commentary and give their all in opinions on how they really feel about a game. Talking to their users like they are trying to puzzle the game together with the audience.

Let's Plays where they talk too soft or their voice is VERY obnoxious to listen to.
User Image

Team Diedrich

I only watch Super Best Friends (formerly Two Best Friends) on a regular basis. Occasionally I'll watch something from Critikal.

I like them because they usually plays games I might not. That and I don't have money to blow on a bunch of games, so it's the next best thing. The commentary is also important, though. Gotta be funny. SBFP is a group, which I think helps a lot, since they can banter and work off each other. It's not just one guy droning on.
Original content.

Over using Memes are a no.

People playing something other than FNAF or Minecraft. I am sickof seeing FNAFand minecraft.

There are some good LPers out there that need some good shine. I liked Newfie back in the day.

Lightbringer

I either like people that are good at the game they play, or are entertaining to listen to. The latter is why I enjoyed Game Grumps for a long time. I've grown less fond of them as of late since I feel the quality of the show is on the decline, though.
I watch Let's plays if I'm interested in purchasing that game, or I'll watch a game that I have already played to see their different opinions on it, and whether they enjoyed it as much as I did. I'd also watch them play terrible games for shits and gigs. Also, I'd watch them if they have a really nice sounding voice, like RPGMinx.

As for what makes bad let's plays, I'll just make a list of pet hates:

-Bad/unfunny jokes made by the player that make you cringe
-Talking over cutscenes
-Talking over important NPCs in the game
-Crappy video quality (I know this sounds a bit nit-picky, but videos on YouTube are forever increasing their quality. So many people, including myself, do expect at least 720p in videos. This goes for all videos, not just let's plays.)
-Annoying, unnecessary sounds/graphics that are edited in that literally shout at you like; "LOOK I'M BEING FUNNY HAHAHUHAHUHAUHA!"
- When the player spends like half an hour talking before playing the game

This isn't a part of the question; however I'm guessing you're asking for users opinions for your own channel. The truth is you should've started your channel 2 years ago because right now the standards are set sky high and are forever increasing, sure you might get a few views on your first video, but those are going to slowly decrease unless you can deliver something unique. There are oodles of let's play channels out there right now. Good luck.

Distinct Dabbler

Amoris Bullet
Answer however you like, but I'm going to throw a few questions out there as jump off points.

Why do you watch Let's plays?

Is there a specific Let's Player that you prefer to watch?

What makes a Let's Play interesting for you?

What do you think makes a bad let's play?

If you dislike let's plays altogether, do you have a specific reason?
- I enjoy the commentary, Hearing other peoples opinions on certain games and their views on game mechanics...Also, For a good laugh c:

- Not really, I watch a lot of different channels and i'm not even sure some of them could be classed as lets play channels.

- ^ Answer one.

- Screaming/yelling to get a cheap laugh.
Playing certain games purely because its what the more popular of the lets play community are playing.
When the lets player is just doing it in hopes of making money and not because they want to entertain people or create something they can be proud of.
When the lets player continues to play games they clearly don't like for more views.
Nothing but Minecraft videos.
Finally and this is more of a pet peeve than anything, I suppose it probably isn't just a lets player thing either but its something i've noticed is becoming more and more common on all channels i watch. The # thing, You know? When people put a # in front of literally everything because its "funny" No thanks. I get that twitter is a thing but take that s**t elsewhere.

Edit: Good luck with your channel if you intend on starting one. Have fun ^^

Mega Sex Symbol

9,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Foolinqs
I watch Let's plays if I'm interested in purchasing that game, or I'll watch a game that I have already played to see their different opinions on it, and whether they enjoyed it as much as I did. I'd also watch them play terrible games for shits and gigs. Also, I'd watch them if they have a really nice sounding voice, like RPGMinx.

As for what makes bad let's plays, I'll just make a list of pet hates:

-Bad/unfunny jokes made by the player that make you cringe
-Talking over cutscenes
-Talking over important NPCs in the game
-Crappy video quality (I know this sounds a bit nit-picky, but videos on YouTube are forever increasing their quality. So many people, including myself, do expect at least 720p in videos. This goes for all videos, not just let's plays.)
-Annoying, unnecessary sounds/graphics that are edited in that literally shout at you like; "LOOK I'M BEING FUNNY HAHAHUHAHUHAUHA!"
- When the player spends like half an hour talking before playing the game

This isn't a part of the question; however I'm guessing you're asking for users opinions for your own channel. The truth is you should've started your channel 2 years ago because right now the standards are set sky high and are forever increasing, sure you might get a few views on your first video, but those are going to slowly decrease unless you can deliver something unique. There are oodles of let's play channels out there right now. Good luck.

Well, I'm trying to go into this level headed. I'm not doing it to make money, I just want to entertain and have fun. I've heard the talking over cutscene complaint from a few people describing bad let's plays, as well as reading every text box or reading it in a character voice (at least 99% of people doing this fail at it).

The video and audio quality shouldn't be bad. I can run most games without any lag at max settings while also recording 1080p 30fps at 20 mbits, and I have a decent cardioid mic.

As for video editing, I'm hoping I can use it tastefully without surrendering to the "I don't know what he's saying, but he's yelling, waving his hands around, and throwing words and pictures at me so it must be funny" effect.

I'm not a yelling/screaming type anyways lol.

I'm going to let's play the Witcher 3 as its a game I really enjoy and I'm not terrible at. I would have started 2 years ago if I had the money for it, but I didn't. Now I'm in a position where I can hopefully provide good content for the Let's Play community in my own way.

Mega Sex Symbol

9,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Omybobsaget
- The RadBrad
- Funny and relevant commentary/ not talking over the characters while they are talking.

I'll try to fix it.
Youtube doesn't let me use a custom link yet.

Magical Kitten

Amoris Bullet
Omybobsaget
- The RadBrad

I'll try to fix it.
Youtube doesn't let me use a custom link yet.

Okie dokie, I'll be sure to subscribe and cheer you on.
Good luck! 4laugh

Spoopy Spark

Because I can't actually play the games myself.
Lots.
The way different people go about the decisions they make in a game and their opinions.
People who talk way too much.

I'll definitely be checking you out.
gaia_kittenstar

Mega Sex Symbol

9,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Scary-Go-Round
Amoris Bullet
I'm not doing it to make money, I just want to entertain and have fun.

Then find something else because there are already more than enough doing this and I can already guarantee you won't bring anything new to it.

I think that's a very poor and pessimistic way to approach it.

Demonic Lover

9,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • PvP 200
  • Millionaire 200
Scary-Go-Round
Amoris Bullet
I'm not doing it to make money, I just want to entertain and have fun.

Then find something else because there are already more than enough doing this and I can already guarantee you won't bring anything new to it.

I mean the best way to do it is to try and do something unique and fun as a streamer on the side for enjoyment, and if you get popular then make it your day job. You can't say this person doesn't have anything new to bring because you don't know what they would consider doing and what they would find fun.

Also, congrats, streaming has a ton of people trying to "make it" that's literally every actor in every industry since hollywood existed. Saying they will definitely become a success and should quite his day job is too optimistic, but saying they have zero chance is just being an a** when you don't even know what their style would be or what they would do to grow their personal brand.

So, why so angry, bro? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces