Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Conventioneer

I know the main problem with Sonic and most movie tie-in games is their rushed out the door before they are actually finished. But I wonder, what do you think is the right amount of time it should take to develop a game?

Questionable Creature

However long it takes to make a complete and bug free game is good.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

That is entirely dependent on what kind of game it is, how much content you're trying to put into it, how many people you have, etc...

All this is counterbalanced against whether you can even afford to keep the group going long enough to finish the game how you want it done.

Alien Worshipper

Until it doesn't suck.

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
That is hard to estimate. But when you use a game engine, you do decrease some development time.

A quality game takes A LOT of time. Always make sure the gameplay has got to be solid and have that hook and the features has to work as you expected. Bugs will guarantee a decrease in your user base.

Ignore the quality sound and art for now, heck don't program the sound system until the towards the end if you are a lone wolf developer. Use placeholders. These type of files take the most space in your game file. When you start to reiterate and zipping and extracting files to test on other systems, you lose precious time.

Program the save system and combat first.

I remember spending one whole month(300 hours total) just to program a Zelda NES clone from scratch in Java. I got 2 basic game maps, 2 NPCs, one monster, basic combat, inventory system, save system, UI and a level system. It was tough hard work.

If you make a game with basic features from scratch, from my experience it will take a whole month as BARE MINIMUM.

Lightbringer

As pretty well everyone has pointed out, development time is based on a ton of factors. The reality is that any amount of time is never really going to be -enough- time, as far as a dev is concerned.

I find it interesting that you talk about Sonic and movie tie-ins specifically. Yes, rushing is one of the problems, but there are a lot more problems happening behind the scenes as I understand it, notably poor direction/management. I personally don't like any Sonic games, even the ones hailed as the best, and the only movie game I ever liked was Spider-man 2 on the PS2/GC because it felt more like they wanted to develop a standalone game than something based on the movie.
Well, it's hard to say.

Majora's Mask was made in a year, and it was really good. Dragon Age 2 was made in a year, and it... wasn't as good.

Development time is important, no doubt about that, but, you also need to take into account how many people are working on a project, what kind of scope the project has, and the general competence of the management.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff