Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've seen a lot of comments from people who have criteria for what makes a good or creative avatar. Some of them are: don't use complete sets. I totally understand this one. But I've seen some that say they don't vote for an outfit unless it uses a certain number of items, or unless the outfit's total value reaches a certain threshold. I've seen at least one person say a good outfit should be worth at least $200 billion.

Ok some of us don't have a ton of gold, or a massive inventory of items, but I feel like we can still be creative and put together good outfits with what we have. I haven't entered anything since like Tuesday because I've felt so discouraged about not having the best and most expensive stuff.

Also it seems like people aren't really judging creativity? Maybe it's just me, but the top 5 all look more or less the same a lot of the time. People using the same items or backgrounds. Speaking of backgrounds, do you think it makes a difference if you use one? I only even maybe have half a dozen backgrounds and so far none of them have matched any of the themes.

So I guess what I'm asking is, do you think price or number of items really matter more than creativity in putting items together? What other things do you look for or base your votes on?

Firebreathing Comrade

Voting based on the price is just silly imo. More expensive =/= more creative. My Russian avvie got plenty of support around these forums. It's probably only worth about 5 billion or something total. I don't have a huge amount of gold so make use of what I have.

Ruthless Codger

I vote according to what appeals to me. If they were able to put together the theme with cheap gold shop items, that's fine. (Maybe there should be a Runway day where it's only gold shop items. )

I try not to vote for 1 or 2 item avatars. Although, I make an exception for anything super creative or humorous.

The problem is nicer items are usually released through GCash. GCash is worth a lot of gold, so for people to have the gold - on hand - for a daily theme to do the avatar they want may be difficult. More often than not, the people with a lot of items will have a lot of gold and/or utilize GCash.

As for backgrounds, it really depends on the avatar or theme. Wanderlust is making use of backgrounds, really well. I saw quite a few avatars in the Halfatar theme use background items or companion items in really interesting ways. Using backgrounds is hard, in my opinion, but a lot of Gaians know how to use them to their advantage. smile

Normal Poster

User Image

i generally use this:

- is it composed of more than 5-10 items that aren't just a set?
- has it used items i haven't seen before?
- is it more unique than the other entries?
- does it actually follow the theme?

User Image

Loyal Lover

If I think it looks pretty I'll vote for it. 'Nuff said.
Or how well it fits the theme well. Doesn't matter how many items are on you if you fit the theme well enough I'll vote for ya. Those color themed days, If a person is wearing all red and only red, I vote for 'em. If someone is wearing a black and red outfit, I may or may not vote for 'em. If someone is wearing a black and red avie and the red is more of an accent color and not the main focus, I don't vote for 'em.
Backgrounds, again if you can make it look good with your avie, then go for it.
I generally don't vote for an avie if it is comprised of a set. Using two of the same item I don't mind but basing your entire avie on a complete set seems kinda lame.

Rude's Bestie

Cat

I just go with whatever looks appealing to me and fits the spirit of the theme. I don't spend a whole lot of time analyzing each avatar so that first impression as soon as it loads is important. "Appealing to me" usually means the outfit looks complete and polished, not like a pile of tangentally-related items thrown together.

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
My criteria changes based on what the theme is.

Even if the outfit matches the theme I won't vote for it unless I like it. Price doesn't matter to me either. I've seen some great gold shop outfits and honestly I don't care if you don't have the fancy legmods and s**t. Gold shop outfits can be absolutely gorgeous if done correctly.
The big thing for me is "Does it match the theme?" - I don't care how good an avatar is, if it doesn't match the theme I'm not voting for it. ex: "Colour Explosion - the most vibrant and vivid avatars will win" - if it was pastel or dark, I probably wasn't voting for it; the CMYK ones were a bit iffy because they have so much black.
I also look for creativity, as in not a full item set (a couple poses from an item or a couple versions -recolours- of an item is fine), not just an I Am pose (I Am with a background, if it fits the theme well and trumps the entry next to it can get my vote), not a cluttered mess, something that I haven't seen/am not likely to see by twenty others, etc..
And of course general flow/overall feel of the outfit to me - if I don't like how it looks, I'm not going to vote for it.

Backgrounds depend - if they compliment the look and theme, great, but they aren't something I need to see/not see (Wanderlust benefits from them big time; the coloured themes not necessarily so much so..)

I don't give a crap how much the avatar costs or how many items are used. Actually I kind of have more respect for those who can fit the theme with a lower budget and fewer items than those who have to cram fifty things on and spend hundreds of billions to get the point across.
Personally I rarely use more than 12 items for any one outfit and most of them are probably averaging under 50bil (hell, many are under 20bil lately); my current (not an entry) has 15 items and is just over 80bil

Revered Master

25,065 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Cosmic Healer 200
Avatars that interpret the theme well and use items in an interesting and creative way tend to get my vote. Anyone can throw on a bunch of items but it takes real creativity and frankly patience to try different combinations and see what sort of unique looks you can achieve through layering of items.

Invisible Winner

"Have I seen a bunch of this avatar already?"

"Does this match the theme?"

"Does this avatar have that certain somethin to make me click +?"

"OH s**t I JUST SKIPPED THAT AWESOME ONE NOW I HAVE TO GO THROUGH 1000 MORE OF THESE JUST TO GIVE IT THAT VOTE NOW "

In a relationship with urmostfav

Fashionable Raccoon

1) Is it in any way relevant to the theme?
2) Does it portray the concept well?
3) Does anything about it make it stand out from the hundreds of other entries?
4) Is it well composed?

Edit: Also I have a little bias going on toward the paw avies,
since they don't get shown enough love; so I boost 'em when I can.
wink
[Some of them are so rad!! Especially considering the wardrobe and size limitations they face.]

Edit x2: Also a lil boostier for some of the more obviously cheaply-done compositions,
as long as it looks like they had real thought put into them about the concept. <3 ^3^

()_()
^( ;,,,,; )^

Charming Cultist

33,900 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
After the theme matching, I tend to vote more for paws or male avatars, since female avatars are so common. The rest is just variable. Blobs of color or clutter tend to be a no.

Smitten Kitten

28,775 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
My general criteria is this series of questions::

- Does it follow the theme?

- Does it use more than two of a set? (If yes, instant no-go. Two is fine, any more is lazy in my opinion)

- Is it aesthetically pleasing? (By my personal aesthetic which I cannot quite put into words.)

Should both avvies meet all criteria, it becomes just a matter of who fits the theme better while looking the best.

Super Smasher

36,090 Points
  • Confectioner’s Sweetest Confession 100
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
  • Magical Gems 500
I basically vote for avi entries that follow the theme, are nicely put together, original, and stand out among the rest. I love it when I see an avi that makes me think, "Wow, this person thought outside of the box, and created something truly unique".
I tend to ignore entries that are cluttered messes and blatantly use sets.
Assuming the avatar fits the given theme, I'm likely to vote IF:

-The avatar stands out. I don't vote for entries that look similar to a bunch of other entries.
-The avatar features good use of an uncommonly-used item that I happen to love.
-The avatar makes good use of a secondary theme (color, character archetype, humor, etc.)
-I feel that time and effort went into creating the avatar. If it looks quickly thrown together, no vote.
-There is a good balance of colors/shades/etc.

I do not care how expensive the avatar is/looks. I believe this is a contest of creativity and item knowledge, not a "who is richest" contest. I'm also ok with using multiple items in a set, so long as the majority of the avatar doesn't look like it belongs to that set.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff