Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Spark

Quote:
An upcoming video game is getting lots of buzz in the gamer community for a unique twist: If you get killed while playing Upsilon Circuit, you can never play again. "In most video games, death is a minor annoyance," notes a post at Smithsonian, but not in this case. Here, the idea of what's being called "perma-permadeath" is to mess "with everyone's notion of what it means to be a gamer and a game," writes Brian Crecente at Polygon. The broad strokes: Two teams of four players each navigate their way through obstacles and enemies, while being observed in live time by online spectators at the game's website or through streaming services such as Twitch. Those spectators can pay to help the players or sic evils upon them, a la the Hunger Games. "We're monetizing trolling," says co-creator Calvin Goble of the Robot Loves Kitty studio.

Once a player dies, a spectator is randomly selected to replace him. Goble tells Wired that a big part of the experiment is see whether players behave differently knowing that they're mortal, in a sense. “What I’m hoping happens is that the experience evolves and that the people who live longest will respect their one life, be more cautious and careful,” he says, adding ominously, "the only way we can go a step up from this is if we actually start killing the contestants in real life." Because only eight players can play at any one time, the creators hope spectators become similarly invested, to actually care when a player who's managed to survive for a while goes down. Players aren't the only things with a shelf life—the game itself will end after a year. "Talk about devious," observes Maxim. No date yet on when the game will start.

here's the article
http://www.newser.com/story/213889/video-game-takes-death-to-whole-new-level.html

I don't see why anyone would invest time on a game where if you die you can never play again. Kind of a disincentive from trying the game
Blue Little Rose
Quote:
An upcoming video game is getting lots of buzz in the gamer community for a unique twist: If you get killed while playing Upsilon Circuit, you can never play again. "In most video games, death is a minor annoyance," notes a post at Smithsonian, but not in this case. Here, the idea of what's being called "perma-permadeath" is to mess "with everyone's notion of what it means to be a gamer and a game," writes Brian Crecente at Polygon. The broad strokes: Two teams of four players each navigate their way through obstacles and enemies, while being observed in live time by online spectators at the game's website or through streaming services such as Twitch. Those spectators can pay to help the players or sic evils upon them, a la the Hunger Games. "We're monetizing trolling," says co-creator Calvin Goble of the Robot Loves Kitty studio.

Once a player dies, a spectator is randomly selected to replace him. Goble tells Wired that a big part of the experiment is see whether players behave differently knowing that they're mortal, in a sense. “What I’m hoping happens is that the experience evolves and that the people who live longest will respect their one life, be more cautious and careful,” he says, adding ominously, "the only way we can go a step up from this is if we actually start killing the contestants in real life." Because only eight players can play at any one time, the creators hope spectators become similarly invested, to actually care when a player who's managed to survive for a while goes down. Players aren't the only things with a shelf life—the game itself will end after a year. "Talk about devious," observes Maxim. No date yet on when the game will start.

here's the article
http://www.newser.com/story/213889/video-game-takes-death-to-whole-new-level.html

I don't see why anyone would invest time on a game where if you die you can never play again. Kind of a disincentive from trying the game

A lot of people play games to escape from reality. They dont want or need their own mortality put back in their faces.
Its an interesting concept for a gameshow but not a good game idea.
There's no real threat to the player so people aren't going to care about killing a player character. All that would end up happening is a game that no one is playing.

Lightbringer

I don't think this has the deep implications that the creators really think it does. Especially when they go on to say that the game monetizes trolls. The Flock turned out to be a flop, but its concept is way better than this.

Dangerous Genius

its basically hunger games, the video game.

That sounds like an interesting social experiment but an awful game. I'll still play so I can forge an alliance with another player and get killed in my sleep.
another garbage indie game
Hasn't this been done before?

Tipsy Sailor

So a game that you can never play again once you die and only exists for a year to monetize 'trolling'. He also hopes "that the experience evolves and that the people who live longest will respect their one life, be more cautious and careful."

Why would anyone be more cautious and careful or have respect for their game-life when people can just pay money to plague players with "evils" so they die and can never play again?

Girl-Crazy Grabber

So what happens if someone doesn't die but needs to stop playing for whatever reason, like bed or an emergency? Or, I don't know, go to the bathroom? Too bad, so sad, ******** off forever?

How do they expect people to become invested in something that can only possibly last a few hours?

Foolinqs

Yes. They're called "Game shows". Where people tend to get one shot at competing in some sort of challenges in front of an audience and once they lose, they're out.

That's all this is. A digital game show. That intends on making money off of people who they assume will care enough to spend real money on a chance at cutting someone's couple-hour playtime short by a few minutes.

Dainty Daredevil

15,950 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Elocutionist 200
so, like, hardcore mode but for the entire game? i doubt many people will buy into that. i hope they realize their mistake before they release the game.
Dei Gratia Raven
So what happens if someone doesn't die but needs to stop playing for whatever reason, like bed or an emergency? Or, I don't know, go to the bathroom? Too bad, so sad, ******** off forever?

How do they expect people to become invested in something that can only possibly last a few hours?

Foolinqs

Yes. They're called "Game shows". Where people tend to get one shot at competing in some sort of challenges in front of an audience and once they lose, they're out.

That's all this is. A digital game show. That intends on making money off of people who they assume will care enough to spend real money on a chance at cutting someone's couple-hour playtime short by a few minutes.

No, I was talking about a game that has been specifically made in order to no longer let the player play the game ever again after failing in it.

Distinct Dabbler

Sounds dumb. As more people lose, Less and less people will be playing until no one plays at all. Whats the point in making the game at all? Other than some sort of bizarre social experiment. Its a waste of time for the people playing and its a waste of time and money for the people making it.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
lots of cake
so, like, hardcore mode but for the entire game? i doubt many people will buy into that. i hope they realize their mistake before they release the game.

im guessing the ones that pay money are the ones that are able to send evil or help to the player. sounds like you pay to interact with the game.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
If you die you're out of the game for good. Players are chosen randomly from the paywall peepshow. "Monetizing trolling." Life lessons about being cautious for real because you lost a game.

So much nope, I can't even...

Magical Businessman

Oh look, more pretentious indie trash that tries to redefine what a video game is. Pass.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff