Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Master Converter 500
          Long live the reckless and the brave
                                                      I don't think I wanna be saved
                                                                                              My song has not been sung

It isn't so much with the music itself as it is with the fans.

1. Anyone who uses the phrase "real music" to describe the band/genre they like.
    Please, tell us more about how cultured and discerning you think you are.

2. Those who assume age based on music tastes (and apparently intelligence/worth based on age).
    If I can't be 22 and jamming out to Jonas Brothers, I don't want to live on this planet.

3. Getting pissed when someone accidentally mislabels a genre.
    "It's not pop punk, it's alternative!" NOBODY CARES. Genres are more like guildelines anyway.

You're free to like and note like whatever music you like, but it's asinine to link music tastes to maturity/worth or get so worked up over differences in said taste. Just chill out and hit play.

LongLiveUs

Tipsy Sophomore

guitar solos

songs ending in fade outs

mislabeling genres of music

King Lionheart

Don't forget about the following:

"I was born in the wrong generation. Back then, there was a lot of good music. Now everything is pop and crap."

C'mon now. First off, there's such a thing as survivorship bias. It's the good stuff (or, more properly speaking, the stuff considered good) that tends to endure, so of course we're going to remember the 80s for all the glorious bands with their hits and not the stuff that flopped.

Then there's the fact that this is the age of Spotify and Pandora and Bandcamp and s**t like that. You have more control over what you get to listen to, you can access many artists that you like. Don't like what the radio plays? Then turn it off and make your own playlists. Personally, I'm a little wary of the kind of bubbling this might create, which is why I do turn on the radio/ask my sister at least what's big and go to streams where people play all sorts of music and not just what I like. But the point is there is a lot of good music, you're just being lazy and not looking hard enough. Hell, I see this asinine comment on YouTube of all places. Oh the ******** irony.

Adult chan's Husband

Friendly Elder

1. Guitarists that tremolo pick single notes because they don't know enough about scales to create a decent melody.
    2. Guitarists that only know scales and never bother to learn chord progressions.
    3. "Musicians" that sample and remix all of their music because they're too lazy to learn how to make their own.

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
    • Rat Conqueror 500
    • Battery 500
    • Master Converter 500
    Argentite
    Don't forget about the following:

"I was born in the wrong generation. Back then, there was a lot of good music. Now everything is pop and crap."

C'mon now. First off, there's such a thing as survivorship bias. It's the good stuff (or, more properly speaking, the stuff considered good) that tends to endure, so of course we're going to remember the 80s for all the glorious bands with their hits and not the stuff that flopped.

Then there's the fact that this is the age of Spotify and Pandora and Bandcamp and s**t like that. You have more control over what you get to listen to, you can access many artists that you like. Don't like what the radio plays? Then turn it off and make your own playlists. Personally, I'm a little wary of the kind of bubbling this might create, which is why I do turn on the radio/ask my sister at least what's big and go to streams where people play all sorts of music and not just what I like. But the point is there is a lot of good music, you're just being lazy and not looking hard enough. Hell, I see this asinine comment on YouTube of all places. Oh the ******** irony.

Oh yeah, forgot about them.
      Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of music throughout the ages, but it's not like every piece was a gem. Let's not forget the classic "who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?" And every other 1920's vaudeville piece.

Turning away from the radio can create bubbling, although listening to only certain radio stations can do the same. Pandora is usually good as it will begin branching out into other artists and songs, although it will stay within a certain sound. I also like Noisetrade, which is definitely off the beaten path as it's mostly artists still trying to get their start in the industry.

Also, I don't get why everyone hates on pop. It's always been what it's supposed to be: fun music you can jam out to. You want more in depth lyrics and experimental stuff, try other genres. Expecting pop to be in depth and musically on the cusp is like expecting instrumental music to have lyrics.

LongLiveUs

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
      • Rat Conqueror 500
      • Battery 500
      • Master Converter 500
      Wolfishly Sheepish
      1. Guitarists that tremolo pick single notes because they don't know enough about scales to create a decent melody.
      2. Guitarists that only know scales and never bother to learn chord progressions.
      3. "Musicians" that sample and remix all of their music because they're too lazy to learn how to make their own.

Or artists that only make covers of songs and call themselves musicians. I don't mind a cover every now and then, but cover artists are a dime a dozen and usually covering the same songs.

LongLiveUs

King Lionheart

Call Me Nefret
          Oh yeah, forgot about them.
          Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of music throughout the ages, but it's not like every piece was a gem. Let's not forget the classic "who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?" And every other 1920's vaudeville piece.

Turning away from the radio can create bubbling, although listening to only certain radio stations can do the same. Pandora is usually good as it will begin branching out into other artists and songs, although it will stay within a certain sound. I also like Noisetrade, which is definitely off the beaten path as it's mostly artists still trying to get their start in the industry.

Also, I don't get why everyone hates on pop. It's always been what it's supposed to be: fun music you can jam out to. You want more in depth lyrics and experimental stuff, try other genres. Expecting pop to be in depth and musically on the cusp is like expecting instrumental music to have lyrics.

LongLiveUs

Haha yeah. Though I do kind of enjoy 20s vaudeville. There isn't much music I dislike, to be honest; rock/metal is my comfort zone but I try and give everything a fair shake.

Noisetrade is interesting and not something I've used before, thanks for rec'ing me that! A lot of stuff in the metal section is alt-metal and metalcore/deathcore, stuff I loved in the mid-00s but is not always something I'm in the mood for nowadays. Then I saw one band that claimed to be for fans of Death, Slayer, and Pantera. Bands I do rather like. Turned on one track and... MIDI guitars. sweatdrop Maybe I'll find something I love. Gotta keep looking. Album covers I have to admit are pretty amusing but these are bands just trying to make it big so I guess I can't blame them.

I think some people think that hating on pop music makes them look cool and sophisticated. Frankly, it just makes them insufferable. It's okay for someone not to like pop music, but they shouldn't be under any illusion that it makes them a special snowflake.

11,025 Points
          • Forum Sophomore 300
          • Signature Look 250
          • Autobiographer 200
          1. Musicians that plagiarize others
          2. Musicians that plagiarize themselves (Nickelback wink )
          3. Hipster who think that have superior taste because they only listen to bands that no one has ever heard of.
          4. Songs about having SWAG

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
          • Rat Conqueror 500
          • Battery 500
          • Master Converter 500
          Argentite

Haha yeah. Though I do kind of enjoy 20s vaudeville. There isn't much music I dislike, to be honest; rock/metal is my comfort zone but I try and give everything a fair shake.

Noisetrade is interesting and not something I've used before, thanks for rec'ing me that! A lot of stuff in the metal section is alt-metal and metalcore/deathcore, stuff I loved in the mid-00s but is not always something I'm in the mood for nowadays. Then I saw one band that claimed to be for fans of Death, Slayer, and Pantera. Bands I do rather like. Turned on one track and... MIDI guitars. sweatdrop Maybe I'll find something I love. Gotta keep looking. Album covers I have to admit are pretty amusing but these are bands just trying to make it big so I guess I can't blame them.

I think some people think that hating on pop music makes them look cool and sophisticated. Frankly, it just makes them insufferable. It's okay for someone not to like pop music, but they shouldn't be under any illusion that it makes them a special snowflake.

Not to sound like a total cliche, but I have an eclectic music taste. My sister makes fun of me because when we played one of those playlist quizzes I had a Nat King Cole song followed by Hollywood Undead. Although my go-to genre when I feel like rocking out is...well, I don't know what to call it. I've heard it called both pop punk and alternative rock. And I always get fricking corrected one way or another.

Yeah, Noisetrade tends to be best for Indie, singer/songwriter, and instrumental. Although I have found an alternative group or two.

My favorite question to ask when someone starts talking about how cultured their music tastes are and hating on others because of it, I ask things like "do you believe using the violins descending 16th note run in Vivaldi's winter was too safe a choice for an instrument?" Because they never know how to respond and it's amusing. biggrin

LongLiveUs

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
            • Rat Conqueror 500
            • Battery 500
            • Master Converter 500
            thesupremekaidbz
            1. Musicians that plagiarize others
            2. Musicians that plagiarize themselves (Nickelback wink )
            3. Hipster who think that have superior taste because they only listen to bands that no one has ever heard of.
            4. Songs about having SWAG

Also add, "people who look down on other fans of their favorite bands because they haven't been fans for that long".

LongLiveUs

Perfect Member

materialistic lyrics

sterile-sounding production

song ideas that clearly only work for 3-4 minutes stretched out to 7+ minutes

EDM. everything about it

Wheezing Pup

guess I'll stick to talking about the fans like you said
              -When music of an older generation somehow has younger individuals convinced that they were born in the wrong century
              -When fans actively roleplay as band members for the sake of all of that "shipping" business, its not so much a pet peeve as it much as it just makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't think I'd be okay with it if I happened across some smut about me and my best friend.
              -Whens fans debate which band/artist/etc is "better' c. Blur vs Oasis
              -People in the music business being placed on a pedestal by young fans so high that claims they can do no wrong even when it is staring them straight in the face (Justin Bieber, One Direction, Robin Thicke)

Aged Member

sochroe
              -When fans actively roleplay as band members for the sake of all of that "shipping" business, its not so much a pet peeve as it much as it just makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't think I'd be okay with it if I happened across some smut about me and my best friend.

People do that s**t with bands now? What the ********. Guess I shouldn't be surprised about that in 2015, though...

Anyway, one thing I have an issue with is that kind of super-edited/sterile production quality in rock and metal music. I don't mind it so much in pop or something like that, but man, rock/metal is supposed to have a few rough edges, not be overly-edited and compressed to s**t like so many of these djenty bands around at the moment. It just ******** sucks.

EDIT: Oh right, and about the fans. When people start personal attacks because of the type of music someone listens to... it's really dumb. I'd like to think that's just a phase that people tend to outgrow eventually.

Lonely Explorer

1. People that mislabel a genre

2. Talent-less women in bands. Tits, a**, and no skill, but "omg girl power you rock on."

3. Post-grunge "Yeahhheehhhyeaahhh" Metallica like vocals.

4. 80% of a song using the same line, for a 5 minute song.

5. Quoting or rewording a good lyric into a shitty song.

6. Saying "solo" before one, what is this a subtitled song now?

7. Thick headed classic rock fans/snobs.

Adult chan's Husband

Friendly Elder

Call Me Nefret
              Wolfishly Sheepish

Or artists that only make covers of songs and call themselves musicians. I don't mind a cover every now and then, but cover artists are a dime a dozen and usually covering the same songs.

LongLiveUs
                Makes me think of American Idol.

Quick Reply

Submit
                Manage Your Items
                Other Stuff
                Get GCash
                Offers
                Get Items
                More Items
                Where Everyone Hangs Out
                Other Community Areas