Welcome to Gaia! ::

Irregular Gatekeeper

22,965 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Headstrong Believer 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
DEMONSvsANGELS1
She doesn't want me to even have half an hour nap because I will have trouble sleeping the next night. I explain that I already don't get good sleep and what harm could thirty minutes be. When I do pass out, I'm out for ten minutes, my mom and/or boyfriend will catch me, wake me up, and make me do some house chores. There was one point a few months ago where I cracked and just had a meltdown. I told them that I needed sleep...they never get it. I mean, what's wrong with 30 minutes of sleep? Really?

Parents, they always mean well and there is logic to her concern, but not everyone is the same. My mom used to complain that I stayed up late at night, but wouldn't let me fix it. I wasn't able to do homework late at night since I work after school until closing. I just started to do homework the moment I get it and in break time, it was a blessing in disguise that I was able to train myself to be efficiently productive in short time lapse. Not being able to nap didn't help me, and not staying up all night for just one night in order to reset my sleeping schedule was always scolded for 20+ minutes and I'll be still reprimanded months later whether or not I successfully fixed my sleeping schedule. Despite the irritation and verbal restrictions as well as their backfire moves, I don't think your mom is being bad in this situation. She was suggesting things out of the box and trusting you to be responsible with said advice. Again, this is just stating this snippet of story, I'm sure there were other things that your mom did that caused you to dislike her approaches that I do not know.

For the napping, actually back in the Western culture, it was normal to nap during the day and sleep for a short while at night in order to get up early in the morning to do adequate work that can be only done at that time before the hot sun is up while recharging and gaining the misses rest during the hot sun in order to continue the work later at night. In the same culture, it was as well unacceptable to nap during work hours, which is the more socially adapted form that people follow today. I like to think that your past life or lineage was accustom to having that sleeping pattern or you were suppose to be on the other side of the world in a different timezone, thus your genes are more prone to be a night owl at your location. There are benefits for napping.

Hopefully you can somehow make do with your dad since he seems more understanding and independent that you will be splitting up your time to sleep in order to get enough sleep as well as be productive during the day. I find that it helps me sleep when I get what responsibilities that worries me during the day out of the way so I don't ponder about it at night and having the right amount of temperature. I fall asleep easier (sometimes against my will) on a cool temperature, it gives me a sensation my body must hibernate and focus on keeping my body warm underneath the blankets. For napping I love laying in the sunlight like a little kitten. It gives me Vitamin D and my windows have UV protection.

Magical Shapeshifter

Turn off all electronics 2 hours before you go to bed and read in your bed. You will fall asleep very fast because its super boring. Also don't drink coffee, soda or anything with high amounts of caffeine after 4pm. And try taking a bath when your ready to go to bed. The warmth will make you tired.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Princesskittyface1
Turn off all electronics 2 hours before you go to bed and read in your bed. You will fall asleep very fast because its super boring. Also don't drink coffee, soda or anything with high amounts of caffeine after 4pm. And try taking a bath when your ready to go to bed. The warmth will make you tired.

Due to some of my mental issues, I have to have sound. So, I turn my music on as low as it will go. I have tried without sound and that was far worse. I wouldn't sleep at all I would be so bombarded with issues and would be terrified.

I have tried reading but I am a huge fan of reading. I just get consumed in the book that I can't put it down. So, that doesn't help with sleep.

I admit I am addicted to coffee and energy drinks but I cut myself off at noon. I only have one a day as well and it is usually during class and my class starts at 8:40am.

Enchantedlei's Partner

Beloved Kitten

4,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Married 100
User Image

Have you tried Neurosleep? I drink it whenever I have trouble getting to sleep, and it REALLY helps. It might seem like a gimmicky drink, but holy s**t it does wonders for me! (Seriously, they should sponsor me or something, I swear by that stuff LOL.) If you can't find it or it doesn't help, there's many natural remedies that might be able to help you if you don't want to take drugs for it. You can find herbal tinctures or natural sleep aid tablets... also, melatonin is something that naturally occurs in your body, so you could try melatonin. It comes in drops, pills, etc... it's one thing that helps a lot of people get to sleep, and it SHOULD be safe unless for some reason it affects you in a weird way. That can go for just about anything, but that's why you try things out and drop them if they don't work the way you want.

Anyway, as for other advice I could give, the thing about shutting off electronics CAN help, but I find it helpful to play a really simple game (I really like puzzle games like Tetris, Bejeweled, even Candy Crush when I'm not pissed off at it) to help me wind down and get sleepy. I highly suggest Bejeweled because (at least in the app version) there's a mode that lets you set up relaxing environments, sounds, etc. to help you settle down. It's also really good for anxiety, too! Additionally, reading makes me sleepy too, so that might be an idea to consider.

Best of luck!! I really hope you find something that works for you! I hate not being able to sleep at night, so I can sympathize with that. :c

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Hops. It is a plant that you can dry up, and place in a little, breathable pillow, and place it under your own pillow. No side effects! No meds, no messing with anything! Restful sleeps for longer periods. That's what I use, since I cannot take many medications, due to no spleen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff