In a relationship with Yiisu

Demonology Warlock

60,225 Points
  • The Forlorn Warlock 500
  • Dual Class Magic User 500
  • Night Club Singer 500
User Image

Announcement Thread

If you haven't checked it out yet, it looks like Gaia just released a feature called Gaia Runway.

It gives Gaia Cash to the winners of each round, but it also appears that staff have been changing prizes to balance it out. I think it's pretty cool. It looks like there's themes each day to enter.

What do you guys think? It's almost like a revised approach to avatar contests while still keeping the avatar arena. How do you feel about this is handled? Personally, I think it's a smart move considering how nostalgic arenas are despite its outdated flaws.

Other than the feature itself for some side discussion.
    - How do you feel about Gaia releasing new features that are similar to older ones while keeping both? Another example would be Go Fusion and Alchemy.
    - Do you feel that the options are good or cluttering?
    - Excited about rocking out some avatars for a chance to get some GC whenever it's available in the prizes?

Going to update down here for the theme just for people to refer to.

User Image

Items Attained from Receiving Votes:
(Reaching a number votes around 500, 800, 1200, 1700, etc?)
User Image User Image User Image User Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prizes (Free Entry):
1st place prize: 500,000,000 Gold!
2nd place prize: 250,000,000 Gold!
3rd place prize: 125,000,000 Gold!

Prizes (Gold Entry):
1st place prize: 250,000,000 Gold! 1,000 GCash!
2nd place prize: 125,000,000 Gold! 500 GCash!
3rd place prize: 62,500,000 Gold! 250 GCash!

Prizes (Gaia Cash Entry):
1st place prize: 500,000,000 Gold! 5,000 GCash!
2nd place prize: 250,000,000 Gold! 2,500 GCash!
3rd place prize: 125,000,000 Gold! 1,250 GCash!

Special Prizes:
Announcement
September 26th, 2015: Project Rainbow Ticket AND 5,000 Gaia Cash!
September 27th, 2015: 10,000 Gaia Cash!

Things to note from staff:
In regards to seeing avatars that don't fit the theme.
KingMemphis
refresh the page. Skip / pass button will eventually be added
......Update: There's a refresh button now!

In regards to avatar submission.
Narumi Misuhara
It saves a copy of the avatar at the time you enter. so if you change your avatar a few minutes later, when voting starts it will be older one.

Edit
Though that raises a good point. The page, after you've entered, should probably show the image of the avatar you entered instead of your current avatar image.
......Update: This has been updated as well. It should reflect what you've submitted on the page.

More posts here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.97945241_98/#98

KingMemphis
Castiel Lover
Entered for Saturday's Town Pride contest. Really hope I have a shot. xD

Question: Can we vote for ourselves? I've yet to see my avi pop up.

Feedback for staff: We need a entry fee! Too many non-themed avis. I'd suggest at least 1m, or closer to 10m.

There will be one eventually. Since this is a new update/feature we wanted it opened up to everyone, to have a open chance at winning the prizes.

The staff will be reviewing entries that do not meet the theme, and removing them if they hit the top 5 spots, until the entry fees and such are implemented.

Narumi Misuhara
Menstrual Cramps
User Image User Image User Image

So uhm.. I really like Runway and I think it has perks.
But why should anyone bend over backwards for a 50 mill prize? Like, you can make that in a few days of clicking through the daily chance. I'm not fond of the pot being so damn low.

Did Gaia forget a set of zeroes or something?
Where is the G-Cash?

Actually, yes ..well sortof. This was my bad, this weeks contests were all supposed to have a gcash payout, I forgot to set it though and it went to the programmed defaults. Today's won't change since people already entered and it's locked in but I updated the remainder of the week's. I do want to note though that the payout won't stay this high, at least not for the free entry version. Another version is already out, and being tested by SCAS that will have a small entry fee and much bigger payouts.

Narumi Misuhara
The rewards changes were added this morning so for those of you who had the number of required votes but did not get anything, you may have simply fallen into the time-frame when the code was not out yet. I'm sorry to say we will not be back granting for those who did fall in that time period, however the grants will still be there for tomorrow.

There was a brief glitch where code went out that would grant anyone voted for regardless of how many votes they actually received, an item. This was due to code used for testing getting pushed to production accidentally. This code was quickly removed, but it was live for about 5 minutes. for those of you that received multiple grants at once, this was likely during this time period. ...Zero got a ton of grants razz

You can get items for each contest type but only the Gcash type has all the possible items. The way it is now the free one has 1 item to get, the gold one has 2, and the gcash has 4. The current plan is to change the rewards every week or two. We may of course add more at any time smile

Previous Winners and Themes:
    I'll monitor as many rounds as possible. I made a thread for archiving here.
    The list below will just be the early ones as examples.

THEME: Superheroes/Villains
(I didn't think to save the avatars. Sorry. Thank you RandomKate for the screenshots.)
[1. VVednesdays] - [2. RandomKate] - [3. x L i g h t x S o r a x]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEME: Back to School
Dress for school, time for class!

[1. Sagebomb] - [2. Tikianda] - [3. Genea]

THEME: Bond
Dress like Bond, James Bond

[1. Sagebomb] - [2. x L i g h t x S o r a x] - [3. Copeh]

Achievement:
User Image

Sahdomi's Princess

Fistpumping Pumpkin

31,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hairspray Heaven 500
  • Conventioneer 300
- How do you feel about Gaia releasing new features that are similar to older ones while keeping both? Another example would be Go Fusion and Alchemy.

I really like it. I love his feature more because it gives a breath of anon behind the avatars. Sure, some are going to be notable because users might be still wearing them or they are outfits you've seen them in but it's still no name drop.

Also, no down vote brigades that really kill the current arenas. Pretty much if you're not prominent in the arena circle or someone has a larger group of friends than you, or someone just doesn't like you... you'll have a bad time.

Lastly, the prizes in arena are extremely outdated and also need to be updated.

- Do you feel that the options are good or cluttering?
Good, I don't think it's cluttering. I do wish I could edit my entry in the entrance period.
I kinda messed up. Oops.

- Excited about rocking out some avatars for a chance to get some GC?
YAAAAAS.

Tiny Shapeshifter

One could say redundancy to game-exchange (bugs for ink or tickets for prize-and-joy), Alchemy, and GoFusion... along with Avatar Spotlight, Avatar Arena, those less-than-24hrs avatar contests made by staff (in GCD), FB's avatar spotlight, and now Runway...

But, nyeh? *shrugs in a neutral sort of way*

Dead Hellraiser

Definitely loving it so far! The lack of usernames and ability to link to your entry makes it much less a popularity contest than the arenas were.

Plus, gcash prizes. Chance for people who don't/can't spend money to get it now without the offers.

Adzella's Wife

Pure-hearted Senshi

Wow, this is so cool! :3 I entered for fun.
It would be great to get paid in Gaia Cash!
I'm excited to see all the avatars that come from each theme.

xRedHatx's Wife

Original Grunny

26,065 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Generous 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Ooh, I like this. Cash as prizes? Awesome.

I'll enter sometime when I feel I can actually come up with their theme. XD

Toothsome Friend

16,040 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
I really like the idea, and it's nice that people that cannot afford/do not want to buy GC have a chance to win a significant amount rather than watching adverts for 1 or 2 GC per round.

One thing I have to say and I really hate to complain, is that quite a lot of the avatars that I saw on the "Vote for" part didn't have anything to do with the theme! Maybe there should be a down vote option if it's blatantly obvious that the avatar isn't with the theme? It'd be alright if it were one or two but having to vote for two totally unrelated avatars is pretty weird. xD

Bunny

42,575 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Ian's Valentine 100
Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's a feature I may use in the future.

King Noob

- - -
I don't like this method of creating new, similar features while leaving the old version to collect dust.

Why not just add to/update the already-existing features?
That's just exciting as a "brand new" feature.
Doing things this way just feels like it's making things more complicated for no reason.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea! I think it's a smart move too.
I just don't understand gaia's logic of letting the existing features fade into the background.
For instance, I would have used the lottery feature so much more often if they didn't damn near hide it away.

They do cash shop announcements all the live-long day.
Why can't just once a day, they do some kind of "Check out these free-to-use features!" notice or something?
- - -

Sahdomi's Princess

Fistpumping Pumpkin

31,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hairspray Heaven 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Geckobow
I really like the idea, and it's nice that people that cannot afford/do not want to buy GC have a chance to win a significant amount rather than watching adverts for 1 or 2 GC per round.

One thing I have to say and I really hate to complain, is that quite a lot of the avatars that I saw on the "Vote for" part didn't have anything to do with the theme! Maybe there should be a down vote option if it's blatantly obvious that the avatar isn't with the theme? It'd be alright if it were one or two but having to vote for two totally unrelated avatars is pretty weird. xD

We don't need a down vote.. that's what ruined arenas.
People would have giant groups of friends and ask them to down vote a person in order to obtain a lead. Trust me, I know. I've had it happen. =

You can just refresh your page to see new avatars.

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

I may or may not have entered the next one

I like this. I prefer themed avatar contests over the avatar arena kinds because you're relying on how well you execute the theme and not by monopolizing on current trends or popular fandoms to win. And the anon behind the entries is good too.

And there's no entry fee. Of course this means that people can enter whatever they want without thinking about putting up a fee. But I think the fact that they'll be many entries kinda offsets that. And winning GC is pretty good too. and you don't have to stalk your entries for a week since it seems like it'll be a new contest every day eases the pressure of entering. So I see far more good than bad from the Runway and I might actually use this more than arenas.

User Image

fallenjay's Bae

Waffles

Im willing to give it a shot. This is much more motivating with a prize!!

Dantrech's Princess

Demure Trash

it should have a skip option.... I already saw so many avis that don't fit the theme at all!! :<

but I like it

Toothsome Friend

16,040 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
Menstrual Cramps
Geckobow

We don't need a down vote.. that's what ruined arenas.
People would have giant groups of friends and ask them to down vote a person in order to obtain a lead. Trust me, I know. I've had it happen. =

You can just refresh your page to see new avatars.

I see what you mean, but on the same note there isn't anything stopping people from just refreshing until their own avatar shows up and voting for that and getting other people to do the same thing. I think it's just something that's gonna happen with any feature that requires voting and gives out a prize. ^^;

Sahdomi's Princess

Fistpumping Pumpkin

31,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hairspray Heaven 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Tsukita-chan
it should have a skip option.... I already saw so many avis that don't fit the theme at all!! :<

but I like it

I think the feature was just getting tested and it got ported over with the contests that were just for testing how everything was working. At least that's what people are suspecting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff