Welcome to Gaia! ::

Prepare to get REALLY pissed off:

Quote:
A former hedge fund manager has suffered severe backlash after purchasing the rights to a 62-year-old drug used for treating AIDS patients and raising the price overnight from $13.50 per tablet to $750.

Martin Shkreli, 32, founder and chief executive of Turing Pharmaceuticals, purchased the rights to Daraprim - which is used to treat life-threatening parasitic infections - in August for $55million.

Shortly thereafter, the price of the drug, which costs roughly $1 to produce, was increased to $750 per tablet.

Shkreli told Bloomberg that he hiked up the price of the pill because Turing Pharmaceuticals 'needed to turn a profit on the drug'.

Since the announcement, people across social media have criticized the price increase, but Shkreli has backed the decision.

Turing Pharmaceuticals purchased the rights to the drug in August for $55million. Shkreli said that the decision to raise the price was made because the company 'needed to turn a profit on the drug'

'This isn't the greedy drug company trying to gouge patients, it is us trying to stay in business,' Shkreli said, according to Raw Story.

He added that many patients use the drug for less than a year and that the price is on par with drugs similar that are used to treat rare diseases.

Since his company acquired the drug, Shkreli has urged the importance of improving Daraprim and said drugs need to be developed for treating neglected tropical diseases.

Shkreli said that the proceeds from the newly high-priced Daraprim will be used to research better treatments and raise awareness for toxoplasmosis.,an opportunistic parasitic infection that can cause serious and life-threatening problems.

The disease primarily in babies and people with compromised immune systems, including AIDS and cancer patients.

As the drug has been passed from one pharmaceutical company to another, the price has steadily increased from $1 to $13.50. But when Shkreli acquired the drug, he increased the price by almost 5,500 per cent.

Fierce Biotech editor John Carroll was one of the first people to ask Shkreli to explain why he chose to up the price.

In the heated exchange, Shkreli first said that it was 'a great business decision that also benefits all of our stakeholders', but didn't provide further information.

Shkreli received backlash from people on social media over his choice to raise the drug's price, but he responded to the criticism with a link to lyrics to The Way I Am by Eminem, writing that 'it seems like the media immediately points a finger at me'

Instead, Shkreli insulted Carroll several times, calling him 'a moron', 'irrelevant', and someone who doesn't 'think logically'.

At one point, Shkreli, when referring to Carroll, said he didn't 'expect the likes of you to process' his explanation for upping the price of Darapram.

In an open letter to Turing, ISDA and HIVMA urged the company to rethink the new new pricing structure for the generic medicine, according to Healio.

'Under the current pricing structure, it is estimated that the annual cost of treatment for toxoplasmosis, for the pyrimethamine component alone, will be $336,000 for patients who weigh less than 60 kg and $634,500 for patients who weigh more than 60 kg,' they wrote.

The letter continued: 'This cost is unjustifiable for the medically vulnerable patient population in need of this medication and unsustainable for the health care system.'

Shkreli said in an interview on Monday that the company would not be lowering Daraprim's price.

Before founding Turing, Shkreli worked as a hedge funder who at one time was accused of trying to manipulate FDA regulations on drug companies whose stocks he was shorting, according to Gawker.

He worked with companies including Cramer, Berkowitz, & Co and Intrepid Capital Management before founding his own hedge fund when he was in his 20s.

He was once publicly scolded by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, after writing writing scathing blog posts about companies he was shorting, accusing them of having problems.

Without success, the group urged the Department of Justice to investigate Shkreli after accusing him of 'spreading unfounded and inaccurate rumors about drugs owned by companies he was shorting'.

Prior to founding Turing Pharmaceuticals, Shkreli worked as a hedge funder who was once accused of trying to manipulate FDA regulations on drug companies whose stocks he was shorting

He was forced out of the last drug company he founded, Retrophin, which specialized in buying the rights to little-known drugs and increasing their prices.

They increased the price of a drug that treats a rare kidney disease by 2,000 per cent, according to Fusion.

Retrophin forced Shkreli out of the company and is now suing the former hedge funder for $65million, after accusations of looting the company.

According to the lawsuit, Shkreli's former hedge fund, MSMB - another company he founded - was left 'virtually bankrupt' after Shkreli made a single trade with Merril Lynch in February 2011.

Shkreli allegedly used Retrophin's funds to pay MSMB investors who had lost money in the trade, Retrophin's board of directors claims.

'Shkreli was the paradigm faithless servant,' the complaint states. 'Shkreli used his control over Retrophin to enrich himself, and to pay off claims of MSMB investors (who he had defrauded).'

On the day the lawsuit was filed, Shkreli gave a shout out to Wu-Tang Clan in a Tweet, writing, 'I am not the one to f*** with #wutang'.

A spokesperson from Retrophin could not be reached by Daily Mail Online.

(link)
@Shkreli
Really? It costs $1 to make the pill, and you need to sell it for $750 per pill to turn a profit on it? I'm not buying it you greedy b*****d, especially since you seem to have a history of shady business practices.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
misheru105
@Shkreli
Really? It costs $1 to make the pill, and you need to sell it for $750 per pill to turn a profit on it? I'm not buying it you greedy b*****d, especially since you seem to have a history of shady business practices.

That is precisely what I was thinking when I saw this on CBS news this morning.
CEO in this country make too damned much money - and this is how they do it (aside from laying people off so they can fill their pockets with the money they saved). Now you know why I complain.

Greedy Drake

Its just like that Chris rock standup said, they aint curing s**t its all about that money. What an a**. Hope this guy is hopefully he gets a horrible disease that the competition has the cure for and will only sell it to him for every cent he has.

Conservative Regular

misheru105
@Shkreli

Well to a point it makes senses

You spent 55million buying this drug for the purpose of profit making

a 1$ seldom used antiparasitic drug (Given that resistant strains of the parasite it's kills are appearing) is not going to make that 55million back any time soon let alone profit from it.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Well, one argument could be that insurance well more than likely cover it. So instead of $750, they could be responsible for $60. But that's still a lot to ask of low income people.

I feel like he could make a profit still by selling it for less. Like, how about raising it to $15. That's $14 profit for each script.

But I'm no expert in profit and sales. He just sounds like a rich a*****e trying to profit off the sick.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Texadar
misheru105
@Shkreli

a 1$ seldom used antiparasitic drug (Given that resistant strains of the parasite it's kills are appearing) is not going to make that 55million back any time soon let alone profit from it.

According to this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2015/09/21/with-a-5-000-percent-cost-increase-on-one-drug-is.html

Sales of this drug were nearly $10 million last year. An increase of 500% would have made all that back in a year. That would only be $81 per pill. So going to $750 per pill is pure greed. Also keep in mind they don't need to make all their money back in one year. This is a long term investment. So going for a massive 1000% profit on the purchase of the drug in a single year is insane.

Even allowing for some of the money going to more research, as he claims, that's still an unjustifiable increase.

Kawaii Shoujo

What a disgusting greed pig of a man... stressed stressed stressed stressed stressed
Alexander J Luthor
*snaps fingers*

ATTENTION ALL YOU ******** OUT THERE WITH HIV/AIDS WHO LIKE TO SPIT ON COPS AND CHASE PEOPLE WITH NEEDLES. HERE, IN THIS MOMENT, YOU HAVE ONE ******** CHANCE TO DO THAT TO SOMEONE AND GET AWAY WITH IT ABSOLUTELY FREE. JUST MAKE SURE YOU KILL HIM, I REPEAT: KILL, DO NOT MAIM.

Pass this s**t around, people.

Calm down satan xD
Check out the picture of him flashing gang signs while listening to bling/bling rap videos. Never was there a more appropro visual of what American healthcare has become.
Shark Bacon
I feel like he could make a profit still by selling it for less. Like, how about raising it to $15. That's $14 profit for each script.

Well, no, for two reasons:

(1) This is capitalism we're talking about. It's not just about making a profit; it's about making the biggest possible profit that you can get away with.

(2) While this is about capitalism, it is not about competitive capitalism, but intellectual-property rentierism. This guy has bought exclusive rights, i.e. a monopoly, over a drug that has been in existence for SIXTY-TWO ******** years. So, while this ******** is an undoubted sick sociopath, what's the point in complaining about that? I trust you are not stupid enough to want the same system, but piously hope that only good people will occupy positions of power in it.

There is NO excuse for having a system gameable in such a manner. The arguments used by the pharmaceutical industry and their shills in defense of things like this are specious and are refuted by actual practice.

And I might add that if the TPP is adopted, it'll get even worse because it's basically one big giveaway to pharamaceutical companies and copyright holders in the entertainment sector.
there isnt a stereotypical jew nose large enough for this extremely transparent liar.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Update: He now says he is not against the idea of lowering the price.
Yeah right. Wanna bet it'll only be about 10 - 20 % ? At most?

And no. I don't believe that a whole lot of that profit will be going to research, but rather most of it into his pockets (what they do)
This is absolutely piratism at the expense of the company and the people who work for it and at the expense to consumers... all our health insurances will go up and insurance companies will start denying coverage because it becomes too expensive (as well as Federal insurance such as - name escapes me at the moment cause of headache) and it is all bad for the over-all economy. But you know, greedy CEOs don't care about any of that. He's trying to be the next Trump - or trying to show him up or something. (they talk about "playing the game" and it is the fault of the rest of us that we are all so poor)

Conservative Regular

Saless
Texadar
misheru105
@Shkreli

According to this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2015/09/21/with-a-5-000-percent-cost-increase-on-one-drug-is.html

Sales of this drug were nearly $10 million last year. An increase of 500% would have made all that back in a year. That would only be $81 per pill. So going to $750 per pill is pure greed. Also keep in mind they don't need to make all their money back in one year. This is a long term investment. So going for a massive 1000% profit on the purchase of the drug in a single year is insane.

Even allowing for some of the money going to more research, as he claims, that's still an unjustifiable increase.

But they do once the resistant strains become the norm (what they are near to be) the drug is worthless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff