Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Fatcat

So I've been trying to look for an awesome coconut oil for dry hair, since I have really dry hair. Of course, I've been looking on Google, but most of them are for cooking, and I don't know if they are for the hair as well
Help me guys!
Any suggestions?

Dedicated Hobo

Do you want hair products with coconut oil or are you just looking for a good brand of straight up coconut oil? If it's the latter, I don't think it matters that much which one you buy, and you can use it on dry hair as well as your skin.
I have long curly dry hair, and here's what I have to say: If what you're looking for, trying to find, and trying to buy is coconut oil, as long as it says "Coconut oil" on it, it's probably coconut oil, and it's probably what you're looking for.

Coconut oil is typically used for cooking, but people use it in their hair. Just like olive oil. There might be some special hair blend or whatever, but all you need is coconut oil.

Citizen

Yeah, like the people abouve have said coconut oil that is for cooking is fine to use for your hair or whatever else. Health food shops usually carry it so you dont need to scour google (unless you want to).
You might even have luck in the local super market in the health food section.

Goodluck

Beloved Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
As a coconut oil maniac - I use it for everything - not all coconut oil is the same. There is a cooking grade, which you'll find near all the cooking oils and such, but there's one type in particular that you should buy if you're wanting to use it for oil pulling, actually eating by itself or using as body lotion/hair treatment.

Buy the unrefined, cold-pressed virgin (possibly organic) coconut oil because it is far superior and HAS NOT been cooked, boiled off or tampered with whatsoever. This is the best and usually will not cost you a whole lot, unless you buy a massive tub of it. I'd suggest ordering it online, or visiting your local vitamin shop. Worst case, you could probably find it in a Kroger, Publix or Walmart nearest to you.

Here's the brand/kind I use and swear by:

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Labs-Finest-Organic-Coconut/dp/B00DS842HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442941641&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+coconut+oil

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
` B e l o v e d
As a coconut oil maniac - I use it for everything - not all coconut oil is the same. There is a cooking grade, which you'll find near all the cooking oils and such, but there's one type in particular that you should buy if you're wanting to use it for oil pulling, actually eating by itself or using as body lotion/hair treatment.

Buy the unrefined, cold-pressed virgin (possibly organic) coconut oil because it is far superior and HAS NOT been cooked, boiled off or tampered with whatsoever. This is the best and usually will not cost you a whole lot, unless you buy a massive tub of it. I'd suggest ordering it online, or visiting your local vitamin shop. Worst case, you could probably find it in a Kroger, Publix or Walmart nearest to you.

Here's the brand/kind I use and swear by:

http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Labs-Finest-Organic-Coconut/dp/B00DS842HS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442941641&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+coconut+oil

I second this vote. I use the same brand and it's awesome for everything. Cooking, health, whatever.

To be fair, I haven't tried anything else. But I tried this and fell in love with this first.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
100% unrefined virgin coconut oil. It literally does not matter if it's for "cooking". Coconut oil brought in the cooking aisle can be used for beauty, just like coconut oil bought in the beauty/health aisle can be used for cooking (also it's cheeper to buy in the cooking aisle than in the health/beauty). It's literally all the same thing it does not matter as long as the lable says all these exact same words: 100% unrefined virgin coconut oil

The brand doesn't matter either. Coconut oil is coconut oil. I've been using coconut oil for my hair, and skin and cooking for two years now. I just like to seperate the one for cooking and the one for other into two seperate jars for sanitary reasons.
Make sure it is 100% organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil. Walmart sells it for cheap.

Be careful about how much you use if you have naturally oily hair. I completely saturated my hair the first time I tried it and slept in it over night and my hair was SO greasy the next day it took almost a weeks worth of washing it twice a day to get it out. Even just a little bit for 15 minutes in my hair makes it oily. Use sparingly!

Star

I bought a cheap-a**, grocery store, Crisco brand coconut oil, and it works magic on my hair.

My curls also get very dry and fuzzy without product, but I threw absolutely everything else out when I found out how good this coconut oil is. Best purchase I ever made.

II Earl Grey II's Darling

The cooking version is what you want. The idea behind using oils is that your using all natural products.
There are tons of foods you can use to make your hair nice. Eggs are great too.
isnt all coconut oil the same? hows their more then 1 type of? thatdont make no sense

Shy Friend

always organic ! cat_4laugh

Tipsy Kitten

I just use Trader Joes brand coconut oil and it works great.
For what I understand they're all about the same, just depends on how much of virgin degree you want.

Distinct Fatcat

II Kuroko II
always organic ! cat_4laugh

O_O is that you in your siggy?
You look like an anime character!!
you are absolutely gorgeous!!! <3 <3 <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers