Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey, LI. I recently started a new job in the billing department of a property preservation firm. It's my first office job and I have very little experience working in that kind of environment. While I understand that new experiences -- especially new jobs -- are nerve racking for everyone, I'm currently coming down from a panic attack, unable to sleep because I'm literally DREADING going back tomorrow. As I've mentioned, I've really not had any prior office experience which was obvious on my resume. I received two days of minimal training before my manager put me at my own computer and gave me a task list of services I had to bill clients for. When I voiced my apprehension, my manager told me she'd rather I "break the system figure it out" on my own than ask questions. The girl I sit next to is also in billing and I've been low key harassing her all week, interrupting her work to ask for help with mine. Despite struggling, I managed to get through last week but without so much as a review of the work I'd completed or even a single check-in with my manager. Basically, I have no idea if what I'm doing is even right. Now, I understand this is a fast paced office and I'm not looking for my manager, or anyone else, to hold my hand through the whole process, but I can't help but to think that I'm working with REAL people's REAL money and fairly large sums of it. That alone stresses me out, and the lack of training and instructions has deep breathing in the bathroom stall and crying before bed at night. I am absolutely miserable and don't know how to make it better without annoying my manager or sounding needy. It's only been a week, though, so it has to get better... Right? When do I start to consider that maybe I'm in the wrong department, or worse, that this job just isn't the right fit for me? Right now, it's really taking a toll on me and I can't even talk to my family or friends about it because they're just so happy that I was able to find a job so quickly after graduating. LI, what should I do? Please help.

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image

You are fine. They did that to me when I started working in the office as well. I was surprised to find out that my supervisor could log into my workstation from hers and monitor my work and was fully capable of double checking my invoices. I didn't even know about it for a month. Usually they just think it's too much of a bother to hold your hand through it and figure it's better if you work it all out on your own. If they are letting you do this then it is probably already taken care of somehow, or they literally don't care I guess. Worse they can do is fire you, which if this is the wrong job for you you probably would have left anyway. And if you make a mistake with someone's money they can get it back after a few phone calls, it is not as important of a job as you think it is. Relax a bit.

User Image
I would rather work at mcdoanlds for the rest of my life than to have a job that stressed me out like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff