Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Sex Symbol

This topic was inspired by the ridiculous response this avatar generates any time I enter Towns or Town 2 with it.

With this avatar I have:

a) Been accused of being a *****.
b) Being a stalker.
c) Been accused of using this account as my "cyber mule."
d) Had people tell me they can't be around me, "because."

In general, I think I have achieved the dream of making an avatar that actually, for whatever reason, makes people actively uncomfortable (I'm not saying you're one of them of course).

Of course, this thread isn't to discuss my personal experience. On the Internet, as in real life, one's appearance is the first and probably the last thing, that people see about you. Sites like Gaia, where the whole point is to dress up your avatar and show it off to others exacerbate this phenomenon quite a bit.

But... Even though it's only human nature to judge people based on the physical, and almost everyone does it to some extent, you would hope that our home-away-from-home, when we want to escape from the harsh reality of daily life... That this place would be different. Most of us already deal with this s**t in our daily lives, some of us to an amazing extent. We don't then want to turn around and have to deal with the same kinds of behaviors in the leisure activities and hobbies we chose for ourselves, am I right?

God damn human nature. I know I'm expecting too much from you guys. emotion_facepalm

Demonic Lover

Are you telling me you don't mantain that avatar because you enjoy the degree of attention it gets you?
Because seriously.

I judge, like everyone else does, I try to not let it cloud my judgement too much though, but sometimes it's terribly hard to get past a first impression when everything else points to the same type of person you guessed that Gaian would be...

Adzella's Wife

Pure-hearted Senshi

I try not to judge anyone by the way they dress their avatar, or in general because sometimes when you get to know someone they're the exact opposite of their outward appearance. I'm pretty strange and very shy but I try to be kind to everyone I meet. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

Enduring Sex Symbol

SuccuViv
Are you telling me you don't mantain that avatar because you enjoy the degree of attention it gets you?
Because seriously.

I judge, like everyone else does, I try to not let it cloud my judgement too much though, but sometimes it's terribly hard to get past a first impression when everything else points to the same type of person you guessed that Gaian would be...

The attention is fine. emotion_dowant The type of attention, maybe a little less so.

And I realize it's my fault for keeping this avatar as long as I have. I'm not commenting on myself with this thread so much as the, ummm, "nature" of human nature.

Undead Cutie-Pie

27,500 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
I've had people personally say that my avatar gives them nightmares, which I think is ridiculous because it isn't actually scary, but I try to laugh it off.

I try to not judge people based on their avatars, with moderate success. Back when there were certain popular looks, such as the rally look with the glistening skin and cloud, I tended to group avatars like that as a whole. So if many of the people that dressed like that acted one way then when I found someone in the same style I tended to expect them to frequent the same places and act the same way. However, with the large array of items to choose from now, that doesn't really happen anymore, and I try to see avatars as just a creative expression. I mean a person can make a dark and bloody avatar one day and the next be decked out in rainbow, or they can keep an avatar or an avatar style for a long time without it reflecting poorly on their character.

CrackedJewel's Fangirl

Naughty Nerd

Avatars are the first impression you make upon posting. Like, I don't look at the post first, I look at the persons avatar, username, and then I read what they said. There are some users, honestly, I skip over what they have to say. Not because of their avatars, but more because of past experiences with them.
If someone is dressed poorly, you won't want to take an offer from them in the exchange because of concerns over false gold...
It's just kind of how it is. sweatdrop

People accusing you of those things because of that avatar is really extreme, but it's kind of what i'd expect from the towns.

Tipsy Genius

I don't really have a single avatar style but I do notice that the interactions I get with strangers tend to differ based on what my avatar is wearing/presenting as. It's especially striking when I get into debates or arguments. Guys seem a lot more likely to respect my opinion (not necessarily agree! it's all in the language used) if I have a male avatar, girls are a lot more likely to get aggressively condescending if I have a female avatar, and...well, I think everyone is just mildly entertained to see a small animal cuss at people, so the Paw base gets a free pass every time.

But you know, I think the whole point of avatars is to ~express oneself~ with the kind of freedom we don't have irl (read: unlimited wardrobe budget aw yeah!!), so it's normal to be "judged" by others on that basis, to some degree at least. You're making a statement and that's going to reflect on the first impression people have of you. Which, in your case, should be "lol nice butt".

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

I have gotten all sorts of responses due to the sheer laziness I have in my steadfast refusal to wear clothes. Some are polite, others are downright hilarious and I've had my share of misguided insults too.

My favorite compliments are always regarding my large snake emotion_dealwithit

Judgement calls are hard tho. I like some peeps avs more than others, but I also like what others have to say even if their avatars make me internally vomit. Really hard to say.

Relentless Glitch

When it comes to those virtual worlds, if you don't look like any of them, they'd probably have a grocery list to call you and your avatar.

To protect yourself, you have to wear things like the butter skin, animal slippers, OMG hats and other prescribed uniforms.

Or be judged.

Enduring Sex Symbol

.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Avatars are the first impression you make upon posting. Like, I don't look at the post first, I look at the persons avatar, username, and then I read what they said. There are some users, honestly, I skip over what they have to say. Not because of their avatars, but more because of past experiences with them.
If someone is dressed poorly, you won't want to take an offer from them in the exchange because of concerns over false gold...
It's just kind of how it is. sweatdrop

People accusing you of those things because of that avatar is really extreme, but it's kind of what i'd expect from the towns.

F-ing Towns, am I right? ninja

The Exchange is a whole other beast that could get a thread dedicated to that alone though.

Enduring Sex Symbol

aelliflame
I've had people personally say that my avatar gives them nightmares, which I think is ridiculous because it isn't actually scary, but I try to laugh it off.

I try to not judge people based on their avatars, with moderate success. Back when there were certain popular looks, such as the rally look with the glistening skin and cloud, I tended to group avatars like that as a whole. So if many of the people that dressed like that acted one way then when I found someone in the same style I tended to expect them to frequent the same places and act the same way. However, with the large array of items to choose from now, that doesn't really happen anymore, and I try to see avatars as just a creative expression. I mean a person can make a dark and bloody avatar one day and the next be decked out in rainbow, or they can keep an avatar or an avatar style for a long time without it reflecting poorly on their character.

Oh yeah, it's hard not to be tempted to "group" people and users with similar looks. gonk

But that's bad, mmmmk? emotion_yatta

Enduring Sex Symbol

Hot Caffeinated Cree
I try not to judge anyone by the way they dress their avatar, or in general because sometimes when you get to know someone they're the exact opposite of their outward appearance. I'm pretty strange and very shy but I try to be kind to everyone I meet. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

It's no big deal really, I am just commenting on the nature of humans and the one place you would think that maybe we could escape it for a bit, but nope!

Enduring Sex Symbol

Slick Southpaw
I have gotten all sorts of responses due to the sheer laziness I have in my steadfast refusal to wear clothes. Some are polite, others are downright hilarious and I've had my share of misguided insults too.

Judgement calls are hard tho. I like some peeps avs more than others, but I also like what others have to say even if their avatars make me internally vomit. Really hard to say.

Man, I have people tell me my avi must have taken a grand total of five minutes to think up. But of course, then I ask them, "Ok, then why aren't you wearing it by now?"

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

1-800-OMG-STFU
Slick Southpaw

Man, I have people tell me my avi must have taken a grand total of five minutes to think up. But of course, then I ask them, "Ok, then why aren't you wearing it by now?"

heh, clearly they aren't brave enough.

Greedy Capitalist

19,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
I learned a long time ago that judging someone's "appearance" online is a huge mistake. Online, anyone can portray themselves as whoever or whatever they want to be so it's best not to make assumptions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff