Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wintry Protagonist

Let's say, for the sake of this discussion, that there is intelligent life out there.

I've noticed that when we entertain this notion, we tend to portray alien life as either malevolent and solely focused on survival at all costs, or empathetic beyond the capacity of human understanding. I find it interesting that our concerns regarding socialization with aliens seem to be along the lines of "friend or foe?", when on Earth alone we view a very small number of species in this manner to begin with, simply because it is not applicable to most species with which we are familiar.

It's been suggested that insects could teach us a good deal about potential alien life forms based on their evolutionary trajectory being so far removed from our own. While it could be debatable that insects feel emotion, the general consensus is that they don't; they just sort of exist. Humans (along with many mammals) evolved feelings as a survival/protective device. They aren't a necessity to simply live, and, as far as we know, not an evolutionary given.

Do you think emotions come with evolved intelligence? Or is it quite likely that even if we are not alone in the universe, we might be alone in our feeling and empathy?

Garbage

I think it is extremely unlikely that we are universally unique in our ability to feel emotion, since we aren't even unique on our own planet for that.

However, I believe that we are considerably less likely to encounter aliens with a laundry list of what's different or the same than we are to encounter "aliens" period.

We may encounter aliens who will eventually have emotions, but simply haven't reached that phase of evolution yet. We may accidentally wipe out pre-emotion aliens when they turn out to be lethally susceptible to the common cold.

Who knows?

Original Gaian

atlastripped
While it could be debatable that insects feel emotion, the general consensus is that they don't; they just sort of exist.

It is debatable, yes. Some evidence does suggest that they may indeed feel emotions.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-bees-have-feelings/

It could be that an alien life form would have something of an emotional life, but maybe one very different from ours. Maybe they would feel emotions of which we couldn't even conceive.

One really weird thing is, we still don't know exactly how consciousness works. It is very strange and hard to figure it out.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
If they're social creatures then they'll probably have something like emotions. I would expect spacefaring creatures to be social, but who can say?

Maybe we'll run into something horrible like necromorphs or the zerg. But with less space magic.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
atlastripped
I've noticed that when we entertain this notion, we tend to portray alien life as either malevolent and solely focused on survival at all costs, or empathetic beyond the capacity of human understanding.

I haven't.
I mean; sure: you have your Hyperion Cantos "there are no communicable aliens out there and we wipe out any that might be sentient" science fictions.
But you also have your startrek and bab-5 ones. Where the aliens are, while not human, at least effable.

Garbage

Yoshpet
If they're social creatures then they'll probably have something like emotions. I would expect spacefaring creatures to be social, but who can say?
Some of the dreadful sci-fi I read in highschool featured an insectoid race who were somehow able to develop space flight despite being driven almost entirely by a "consume and reproduce" hivemind.

Also psychics and a self-driven brain-powered spaceship who exploded himself because he was jealous that the girl he liked had romantic options with actual bodies.

What the ********.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Cassidy Peterson
Yoshpet
Some of the dreadful sci-fi I read in highschool featured an insectoid race who were somehow able to develop space flight despite being driven almost entirely by a "consume and reproduce" hivemind.

Also psychics and a self-driven brain-powered spaceship who exploded himself because he was jealous that the girl he liked had romantic options with actual bodies.

What the ********]

Lmao that last bit sounds like some especially strange sci-fi shenanigans. I would find it hard to believe that animalistic creatures could develop spaceflight technology, but I suppose I could suspend disbelief if there was some explanation about them evolving to be spacefaring organisms themselves because of some kind of extremophile origin.
I think emotions seem like a useful tool for species that can do more like that. Emotions help drive us to do more than just survive. I'm not aware of another mechanism that would help compel people to thrive as we have so barring another such mechanism I'd expect them to have emotions

Fanatical Zealot

Probably, consciousness tends to yield emotions, our emotions guide us, to prevent us from wiping each other out, starving to death, killing each other, so yeah, I'd say it would be necessary for any functioning society.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff