Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noob

Kso, I was just wondering how you all learned your morals. I have strong morals, I think it was because growing up as a kid I was raised a hxc Catholic, I wanted to read my Childrens Bible every night and I prayed the rosary every day. Though I'm no longer religious, the morals remained.
Like I'm called straight edge and I swear I am in some sort. I've never smoked and don't plan on doing so though I think it'd be interesting to try weed brownies/cookies one day for a lol, I don't drink to get drunk and control myself so I don't get hangovers and rarely do I ever drink. I'm always sure that when I do I'm sober enough that I could still think reasonably. I think sex should be with someone who you feel strongly about, though if you're honest with yourself and others and are safe I see no harm in casual sex with strangers (though personally that lifestyle isn't for me) as long as you're at a reasonable age (20ish and up, a 17 year old should not be having causal sex imo). So on and so fourth.
I know some people who weren't raised on religion and still have some decent morals because their parents actually parented them. I also know people who were raised on religion and are really shitty people with nonexistant standards. So it's just like, how does this s**t happen.
Like I will be full out honest and admit my childhood was absolute s**t and thinking about it is upsetting. But no matter what happened to me or those around me I always valued my self to not give in to peer pressure or to do what I think was just and right. But some people who have gone through similar situations ended up being really shitty people who spend all of their free time getting drunk, high, and having sex without thinking about consequence or being safe. It's weird. Like don't get me wrong, go ahead and smoke and drink occasionally, but spending all of your free time and money on it when you can be doing other things more productive is just sad. My brother used to be one of those people then he straightened out and does it on occasion which I see nothing wrong with.

So uh what kind of morals/values/standards/principles/etc do you have and how did you learn them?
Are you straight edge, are you called straight edge?
What are your morals about drugs, alcohol, and sex?
Do you think 17 is too young to have casual sex with other people?
I was raised by the Internet. You can imagine my morals.

Noob

The Wandering Nine
I was raised by the Internet. You can imagine my morals.

dear god emotion_0A0

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I guess I hand the standard set of morals? xd I was raised Lutheran, and while they were always good to me, I can't really stand behind a religion with such intolerable and hateful people.

But I think when I have children, I'll raise then with morals because it's just how people should act. People shouldn't use their god as an excuse, like if there was no god watching, they'd up and commit murder. They should be decent and kind to each other because it's how we'd like to be treated.

I dunno, maybe my opinions will change when I actually have kids.
I've always followed some vague morals based on what society did growing up, but it wasn't until I experienced true pain that I learned what it truly is to be moral. I experienced the kind of pain that was so intense, I honestly believed I was going to die from it.

It was then that my mindset changed from, "I'm a good person. Why does this have to happen to me?" to, "Nobody should ever have to experience this."

Morality comes from empathy towards fellow living beings, and the understanding that this is the only life we're undoubtedly guaranteed.

Alien Cosmonaut

I was raised sorta Christian though we never went to church or anything. I believed in God and Jesus and the whole shebang but pretty much the extent of that was saying a prayer before going to sleep when I was a toddler and reading all the Christmas stories about Jesus's birth. I don't have any religious beliefs but I feel strongly about "do to others as you would have them do to you" even though I pretty much come off as a big b***h all the time anyway. lol

I also believe anyone can do what they want with themselves, be it sex/drinking/smoking as long as they acknowledge the consequences and it isn't hurting others in some way. I don't endorse any use of drugs higher up the scale than weed, but that's it.

I don't really know if I would be considered straight edge because I actually talk about sex stuff a lot with my closer friends that are of age. And no, I don't think 17 is too young for sex, I think 15 should be the limit ONLY if they're doing it with someone else 15-17 that they're close to emotionally. No legal adults involved, that's creepy. But of course if it's two consenting adults, I could give less of a s**t honestly, they can do whatever.
Partly from family, partly from experience.

By this point I generally consider anything that prevents someone from freedom and happiness as immoral.
I try to be like Jesus because he's been my heroic role model ever since I read what he said; I get my morals from Jesus Christ.

Noob

Mattakitsune
I've always followed some vague morals based on what society did growing up, but it wasn't until I experienced true pain that I learned what it truly is to be moral. I experienced the kind of pain that was so intense, I honestly believed I was going to die from it.

It was then that my mindset changed from, "I'm a good person. Why does this have to happen to me?" to, "Nobody should ever have to experience this."

Morality comes from empathy towards fellow living beings, and the understanding that this is the only life we're undoubtedly guaranteed.

I really really like what you said, honestly.
Is that last part an actual quote or did you just come up with it? I really like what you said.

Commanding Lieutenant

Mostly my family, my peers, and well, uh Gaia. Use your imagination.

On weed edibles. I get the appeal for first time fliers, but the way THC is broken down in your stomach, it becomes rather psychedelic. Meaning, you will more than likely see some s**t. I generally see color splooshes or shapes. Nothing scarier than a windows player visual. That said, edibles take anywhere from 1-3 hours to kick in (smoking/vaping take minutes). Assuming if/when you try, pay attention to serving size. Rule of thumb is eat half the serving size wait 2 hours, reassess if you want to eat the other half. Hell, just PM me if you ever get into weed, I can help steer you to products and a good high.

Edit:
Pfft no. I dislike the straight edge movement at best. I find it narrow in scope, and naive. Yes, you can have a good and successful life without intoxication. You can also have a good and successful life with intoxication. There are many paths to happiness and success - with and without intoxicants.

Drugs: Know what you are doing, where it came from, and how it effects you. Observe the Set and Setting rules. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Be self aware enough to realize if your use is effecting you or others in negative ways, and aware enough to change said negative behaviors.

Sex: Consent is the name of the game.

Alcohol: See drugs.

Depends on the maturity of the 17 year old. Current culture grooms kids to be sexually immature, and undereducated about their bodies.
My Little Spider Friend
Mattakitsune

I really really like what you said, honestly.
Is that last part an actual quote or did you just come up with it? I really like what you said.

It's just my own writing based on how I live.

I had a few other concepts in my head, but it's a bit late and I can't put them into a nice form.

Noob

BlackRose_GreenBud
Mostly my family, my peers, and well, uh Gaia. Use your imagination.

On weed edibles. I get the appeal for first time fliers, but the way THC is broken down in your stomach, it becomes rather psychedelic. Meaning, you will more than likely see some s**t. I generally see color splooshes or shapes. Nothing scarier than a windows player visual. That said, edibles take anywhere from 1-3 hours to kick in (smoking/vaping take minutes). Assuming if/when you try, pay attention to serving size. Rule of thumb is eat half the serving size wait 2 hours, reassess if you want to eat the other half. Hell, just PM me if you ever get into weed, I can help steer you to products and a good high.

Edit:
Pfft no. I dislike the straight edge movement at best. I find it narrow in scope, and naive. Yes, you can have a good and successful life without intoxication. You can also have a good and successful life with intoxication. There are many paths to happiness and success - with and without intoxicants.

Drugs: Know what you are doing, where it came from, and how it effects you. Observe the Set and Setting rules. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Be self aware enough to realize if your use is effecting you or others in negative ways, and aware enough to change said negative behaviors.

Sex: Consent is the name of the game.

Alcohol: See drugs.

Depends on the maturity of the 17 year old. Current culture grooms kids to be sexually immature, and undereducated about their bodies.

Only reason why I'm considering trying edibles is because I don't like the idea of chemicals or any kind of smoke or vapour going into my lungs. I know it's basically just cigarettes that will cause lung cancer, but growing up and seeing my grandfather suffer from lung cancer made me personally disgusted at the thought of having things going into my lungs.
That and I have breathing issues.
Honestly it's just not for me, but I don't mind those around me smoking as long as the smoke blows the other way. My brother goes is recreationally, though it used to be really bad. He started growing it at some point and dealing and it got all messed up and he spent all his money buying it, etc. I'm glad he's moved on from all that bull crap and just does it a few times a week now.

Honestly, most people I know lost their virginities around 16/17. I waited till I was 18 with my boyfriend who I was then dating for almost a year (and now we're over a year). I personally see sex as something to be held at a greater value but I don't care if my friends sleep with boyfriends they've had for a little while. The people I have a problem with are those who are like 16 or 17 and sleep with guys they barely know anything about. You're supposed to be focusing on school and getting good grades, not whether or not you're pregnant. 17 year olds, in my opinion, are too young for casual sex with guys that hit you up out of the blue.

Also, say I make a batch that's 8x8 inches, Is it better to cut it up in 2x2's? Would that be too much?

Dangerous Roisterer

4,275 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I don't really remember being taught morality. I was raised catholic but even as a child the ten commandments seemed obvious to me. I remember feeling guilt and shame as a child but can't really explain why. I just kind of knew some things were wrong, and it mostly had to do with empathy I think. Usually it was for people that I liked, such as friends and family. Now that I'm older I think it's the same principle but with a broader perspective on life. Morality has never been strictly defined for me but throughout life and what I see I'm able to place labels of good and bad on certain behaviors. Sometimes it's hard though, as there is a lot of ambiguity and some things are half good half bad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff