Welcome to Gaia! ::

SWL PacStar's Significant Otter

My mama and papa taught me a lot of things in my life. Little things that seem so silly, but have become essential now that I am living on my own. I never really knew I needed them until suddenly I was impressing my boyfriend with my little tips and tricks. What are some things that you've learned?

I've learned that:
-Pre-treating with hairspray will get pen marks out of my shirt

-A broken lightbulb can be taken out of the socket by jamming a cut potato onto the broken part and turning it

-My stainless steel cooking pans can be shined up with Barkeeper's Friend cleaner

-WD40 can remove crayon from walls.

-Baking soda and vinegar volcanoes look cool, but also clean out drains without harsh chemicals.

-Matching the seams on my pant legs will cause the pants to fold right where the crease should be

-Remove a splinter from your skin by using a small bottle filled with hot water suctioned over the spot.

-If a ring is stuck on your finger, spiral wrap your finger in dental floss from top to bottom. Thread the line through the underside of the ring and pull slowly on the string to shimmy the ring up and off.

-Soak your grandma's opal ring in vegetable oil from time to time to keep it from drying out and cracking.

-Curl a post-it note and stick it under a hole you are drilling in a wall. The curl will catch the particles of plaster that fall out of the hole.

Alien Cosmonaut

Wow, I actually knew the baking soda and vinegar thing!

We always store our bigger baking pans in the oven because it saves so much storage space. Only thing that sucks is sometimes we forget anything's in there when we turn the oven on. sweatdrop

...That's lame but it's all I could think of. My parents have taught me a bunch of little things but I can't remember anything else off the top of my head that isn't very minor things related to cooking. I never can when it comes to threads like this. I'll edit this post when I remember something.

Liberal Receiver

Line cup with aluminum foil, pour baking soda in foil, place tarnished silver jewelry into baking soda. Pour boiling water over top.
Tarnish begone!

When making homemade broth, if possible let chill overnight, the fat will solidify at the top and be easier to remove.

Baking soda, activated charcoal, and peroxide together can be used as a brush-on paste teeth whitening agent, don't use often though, or you'll wear your enamel off. (this does taste gross though.)

If you, or a child eats something toxic, first check the label of whatever they ate that they should not have, or call poision control.
If the directions are to induce vomiting, swallow one capful(about a tsp or less) of hydrogen peroxide. It will make you barf.
If directions are to drink milk, you can also use activated charcoal tablets to suck up and dissipate.

Microwave sponges at least once a month. If you don't have a microwave, keep in boiling water for 10 minl.

Baking soda helps natural dyes stick a little bit better. Washing soda - which is like baking soda on steroids, works better though.

Mayo, peanut butter, vinegar, and coconut oil can all be used to get gum out of one's hair without having to cut the hair off. Oil, mayo, and peanut butter work on the basis that it makes your hair slipperier. The vinegar is supposed to break the gum down.(Which, incidentally, mayo has vinegar and oil in it.)

Flour is the second best thing you can use to put out a grease fire. The best thing is an extinguisher. The worst thing is water.

Baking powder, or powdered chalk can be used prior to washing to help soak up grease stains. If possible, never machine dry grease-stained clothing, never wash on hot. If grease is still there when it line or air dries, treat it with fels-naptha.

White wine can be used to get red wine out of clothing - white vinegar plus salt is cheaper. You still have to treat the stain before it dries and sets.

Boil 1 quart water and 1/2 cup salt, pour still hot mixture on almost any weed, and it will kill it. It will also kill non-weeds too, to be careful. This is best for use on walkways and the like where weeds like to grow up through the cracks.

If you have the patience for it, and the WOOD splinter is still sticking a little out of the skin, you can use wood or school glue, pour over splinter, let dry, and peel off glue to get the splinter out.

NEVER TWIST OR ROTATE A TICK. NEVER SMOOSH A TICK. NEVER TRY TO BURN A TICK. Grab the tick as close as you can to the skin, and pull straight up and off.

Salt leeches to get them off with less pain than pulling them off, BUT ENCOURAGE WOUND TO BLEED TO PUSH OUT ANY BACTERIA. I'm told that a high-proof alcohol will also work, but haven't met anyone who used it.

Snails will not cross salt.(It kills them, too.)

Permanent markers can usually be removed within 24 hours with either; Hand sanitizer, 70% or better rubbing alcohol, Non-acetone polish remover, and acetone polish remover. Always test spot first.

Mr. Clean Magic erasers are made from melamine foam. Buy it on amazon or ebay for way cheaper.

Original (blue)Dawn dish soap kills fleas with a pretty good success rate - good for kittens and puppies with fleas that cannot have the drops used on them.
Using a 1 to 1 ratio on a slightly moist qtip(NOT SOAKING WET) to GENTLY swab their ears also helps with ear mites in kitten or puppies that cannot have the drops used just yet. Only swab where you can see.

Get gelatin from the store. Mix small amounts as directed, and put on nails to strengthen them.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Um. I can clean and reassemble a gun.

And cleaning a grill is super easy with a foil ball, instead of wasting money on a grill cleaning brush (which can be dangerous if the little metal brushies fall off and get cooked into someone's food and they swallow them- saw it happen once).

I think that's all the magic knowledge my parents gave me. The rest of the interesting stuff I know comes from Pinterest.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Uhm... s**t.

My dad taught me how to shoot a gun and... fish... fix an engine... uh, change my pants while wearing a towel (there's a story behind that and it involves fighting)...
My mom taught me how to, um... well, she was my baseball coach for like five years and also a substitute art teacher at my school...? She homeschooled me in the third grade, also. She also ingrained in me certain habits, like being averse to wastefulness and littering and having concern for the environment.

I mostly learned everything on my own, actually.
Heh, nobody taught me how to tie my shoes. I remember asking my dad to do it one morning before school and he was like, "******** that, you goin' downstairs 'till you figure it out, then I'll let you back up," so, y'know, I figured it the ******** out. Pretty quickly, actually.

I credit my... tumultuous upbringing... with my desire to protect people, my pain tolerance, my ability to almost totally restrain my emotions if need be, and the fact that I'm so fixated on combat. Actually, my dad once praised me for my ability to "roll with the punches," as he said, in reference to how quickly I adapt to misfortunes and don't tend to show much of a visible reaction to them.
I also credit it with less savory things like my latent misanthropy and my persistent and sometimes eager morbidity.
I'm a fighter now, and a swordsman especially, because of the way I grew up and what it showed me about the world and the people therein. Sometimes I view the sword as a tool to protect, sometimes I view it through no particular lens, and sometimes I view it as a bloody instrument of calamity. At none of these times do I want to let it go, though I'm no longer entirely certain why it's so important to me.

The most important things about my personality were "taught" to me by them, albeit neither directly nor deliberately.

Commanding Lieutenant

Meat tenderizer will get protien based stains (blood, grease, any meat based stain)

A small drop or two of dish soap rubbed in will get out grease stains. (even set in stains!)

When the leaves on most of trees turn inside out, and birds stop flying, a storm is coming.

If you are having trouble opening a sugary refrigerated item (jams, fruit spreads) whack around the edge of the lid - sugar crystals have formed in the cracks and the whacks will fracture their hold.

Always bring several 2 liter bottles of water with you to the beach. Leave in trunk of car with a few extra towels. Wash the sand off your feet without re-sanding yourself.
Man, your parents were so much better than mine; mine were the equivalent to tantrum throwing children.
Mm I think the most helpful tip I know is that when raw seafood or veg starts to turn and ammonia bubbles appear, you can rinse said food with lemon juice to revive it. But I learned that in restaurants, not from mum and dad.

I learned respect and patience from my dad, e.g., how to deal with intolerant people. I learned from him that listening is more important than speaking. I learned to help rather than judge. I learned to walk away when I'm too angry to respond rationally.

I'm not sure what I've learned from my mom. We've had a very tumultuous relationship and I still have to check myself when we're in the same space for a long period of time because there is no one on the planet who pushes my buttons like she does. I guess from her I've learned that unconditional love exists. Even when we're constantly fighting, she still wants me around..

I learned a lot from my sister because she's eight years older than me. Much of my personality today stems from the fact that she used to take my out into the gay community when I was a teenager and introduce me to diverse groups of open-minded people. She has always been very firm about accepting others; letting them be who they are and like who they like. That really embodies who I am now and speaks to my inner advocate, who sometimes cannot help but call people out on their s**t.

Dangerous Pup

Well my usage of coconut oil for my hair came from my dad (it was years ago, and now I hear about coconut oil everywhere!) I also learned how to sew from both parents; dad knew how to make clothes and work with leather. Mom taught me how to use the sewing machine and embroider... we made a lot of stuff together, from quilts to doll clothes to bags.

There are a lot of other things they have taught me. And its not just life skills like cooking or sewing, but a lot of sentimental life lessons. Right now, I just look back at everything they have taught and done for me and I appreciate them even more. My relationship with my family was always good, we were always together. But now I am in an even better place with them.

Invisible Detective

9,325 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
My parents taught me how to orgasm

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
-Drink lots of water
- how to fold clothes and fabrics
- how to drive

Dedicated Hobo

Man, I don't remember like anything practical that my parents taught me. I mean I'm sure they did, but that kinda thing goes straight through my ears. I just google everything anyway, I rarely ask them about anything because I hate asking for help. emotion_sweatdrop My mom did remind me the other day that carrot juice keeps mosquitoes from biting you, though. And when I visit she gives me essential oils that help with my shitty skin or if I have a sore throat, so that's nice.

Oh, here's a good one my dad told me: when you have an earache, fall asleep with the hurting ear against a hot water bottle, it'll be gone by the time you wake up. Well unless it's an actual infection that you need antibiotics for, it'll still help though.

Other than that...I dunno, I can kinda survive daily life so I got that going for me.

Greedy Gekko

4,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
-throw a spaghetti noodle at the wall to see if it sticks/is done cooking or not
-put a bunch of stuff that tastes good in a pan and it'll probably turn out as a good "stir fry" sort of meal
-how to hoard plastic bags inside of more plastic bags

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces