Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Spirit

I used to be in a big guild, then it stopped a lot of its activity. Didn't see many post. Basically just left because nothing to do in there anymore.

Greedy Capitalist

19,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
I don't make posts in the guilds I'm part of nearly as often as I used to, but there are days when I will make a concerted effort to do so.

I don't believe there's one specific reason why guilds aren't as popular as they used to be - the userbase has changed and grown up, guilds have pretty much never seen an actual true update from what I can remember and there hasn't been any promotion of the guild system from staff in a long, long time. If there were some rewards or achievements for joining and/or maintaining a membership in a guild, users might feel motivated to join and remain active in them, but there's also the problem of, aside from advertising in the forums/signatures, there's not much way for guild staff to promote their guilds.
Honestly.. no.
No one is using them anymore and I never find someone to start a Conversation with.
It was great back then, when I joined some german Guilds and found lots of german People to become Friends with, but they are all gone by now. I have no one to talk to over there.
So I stick to the Forums.

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
I'm still active in guilds, I'm in a bunch and I own one.
I even have a petition for updating guilds, 200+ signatures and it's almost a year old. Link is in my siggy if you wanna check it out. I think people spend the majority of their time in forums because Gaia hasn't made the effort to keep guilds updated, it's pretty sad if you ask me.

Celestial Spirit

Technically, I'm still a member of several, though one died when the founder left over the way Gaia was changing a while back, another seems to fallen apart because the captain is too busy with real life to spend time here now... and then there's E-Corp, which is still semi-active, but awfully quiet between holidays. So, various reasons have contributed, I'd say, including the fact that the average age is higher now, and people have more real life obligations to worry about.

Elemental Harmonizer

47,075 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Harmony of Elements 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
All guilds that I joined used to be active long time ago, now they seem dead. So do other guilds. People barely go there any more as if it's not worth posting anything there as opposed to posting in the forums. On top of that, I know well that guilds won't last forever. I have seen some guilds outside Gaia Online stay around for 2-3 years and then die down, while some became inactive in a year or less.

I had aspired to make my own guild that would hold events all year round, but the way Gaia started running since August 2013, it lowered my morale a lot up to the point where I felt like abandoning the project. Eventually I became indifferent towards guilds regardless of how good they were.

Perfect Saint

Barely. I haven't found one I can find a home in. The zOMG guild and the Club Verge pretty much died on me.
I'm in the same boat as Myrielle.
Had a zOMG guild but it died.
If I do see a guild, its mostly because I'm just passing by. confused

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

I'm in a few guilds, but I don't post frequently in them. The only one I probably posted in on a frequent basis was the Q&A regs one. That guild's super useful because it gives regs a quick and easy-to-access way of sharing their knowledge about various topics on Gaia. Any posts regarding topics such as CSS were and still are a lifeline for me because I am absolutely appalling at answering questions that concern profiles, lmao.

It also acted as a a place where people could chat privately. The Q&A forum doesn't allow chatter, but you still end up getting to know people who also help out there. After hanging out there for a while, I think it's not uncommon to want to befriend people even if you haven't really chatted a lot beforehand. I met one of my really good friends who I've known for years now through Q&A. c:

I think that the forums will always be a faster and more active way to chat to other people - that's kind of a given. I don't know if I agree with the idea that guilds are dead. They may be slower than the forums, but I'm sure that they're still incredibly useful to a sizeable portion of the userbase (me included, even if I never post!) 3nodding

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I think there were a couple of book guilds that I was active in, but when a lot of users started leaving most of them died.

I also agree that it needs updates, but even if they do so most guilds won't stay active for long if there are fewer things to talk about (except maybe for most RP guilds) especially for guilds with specific/special topics. It's much easier to share your thoughts in the forums.

Edit: Funny that I have just been invited to an RP guild

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I use guilds far more than the forums!
My main guild is where I've made my closest friends!
I'm VC there, it's a very big guild; though a vast majority of our userbase isn't active, we still have a good portion of active regulars, and I'm very committed to them.
The forums are very intimidating to me; in my experiences people tend to be very mean and rude, and being around a ton of people I don't know, as happens in the forums, terrifies me.
In my guild, it's mostly people I've known for a long while, and even if there are newbies, I know we have shared interests since they've come to the guild, which makes it far less scary.
A very big thing, though, is that guilds haven't been updated... well, ever, for as far as I remember, other than giving us the ability to use the special emotes (quite some time after they were released in forums, though, might I add).
It's a real culture shock between the forum posting page and the guilds posting page, the layouts are entirely different and things that work out in the forums might break in the guilds, so bringing the guilds up to speed in that aspect might be a huge benefit.
And I'd seriously love to have a tip button in my guild, it'd be so amazingly handy...

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
yeah not really. Im part of the "IV" group and i have alot of IV merch but i never wear it and i feel the guild is no longer a guild as much as a private version of the exchange.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I believe it was a bust because not enough people could generate enough discussion in guilds like they could in offical threads/hangouts. Ive never been a guild person, not even back in 04'. Once Towns became a thing, that was the biggest thing ever. Still kinda is.

I would probably use them more often if they were updated.

Merry Traveler

I still do, mainly rp guild, many that I joined ended up dying over time (except a view that I am not active in) which really discourage me to join a guild too much. It's so hard to find active guild these days.

I am not sure why guild keep on dying, so this is pretty much a guess.
- lack of guild management. many people make guild, advertise it, but forget to tend to the guild over time.
or
when the owner disappear/busy, the guild's pretty much finished. dead.
there need to be solid crew that can also help manage the guild which guild should prioritize to create while "growing" their guild.

- there's simply not enough people in the guild it just dies due to lack of interaction between member.
- the guild failed to entertain people to stay active and activity dwindled. rip guild.

Dapper Puppy

Am old enough to remember that guilds used to be its own separate forum before just being merged into friends chat. Any and all successful guilds I joined into where from there. It was easier to find like-minded individuals there and at least a thread guild got updated when the forums got updated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff