Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

MarigoldMari
nichole nikka
I thought of it but I was kind of rushed since it was the first day of college. It truly is customer service. I always tell people that in the professional world, your feelings and opinions should be left at the door. If you can't do a job properly, you don't deserve that job. It's like people getting denied a marriage license for being gay. If you're against that, you should be against mistreatment of people based on their income.

Awwwh! I wish supermarkets were like that here. I live in a red state, so everyone is vehemently against foodstamps, medicaid, and any other form of welfare. It makes me pretty sad. I have quite a few health problems and I rely on medicaid SO MUCH! Without it, I would not have nearly enough to continue taking my medication. Without medication, I can have some life-threatening side effects. Everyone in the medical field seems pretty nice about my medicaid, though. I've only gotten one rude look and that ended pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, people's opinions vary... I do think if they're rude to you again then you should talk to the manager. Twice is even worse, and an even more sure way to know it would continue if not addressed. I'm so sorry it happened to you.

Gosh, its the opposite here o.o nobody bats an eye about foodstamps but the doctors treat you like crap and do the absolute least they can to treat you if you have medicaid. You're basically garbage when you hand over your card. I rely on medicaid also due to my serious physical health issues. I'm sorry you're dealing with that, too. But good on you for going to college (:

I'm only able to because FAFSA and academic scholarships. I do have 1.5k a semester that is not covered, so I will have to get a loan for that. :

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

Petrosoap
nichole nikka
Electronic Benefits Transfer. They changed the name because they're no longer "stamps"/paper. Thanks, I don't think I'm super nice but I like to think niceness is a golden quality.

We have some "cash back" benefits in some states, but a lot of people who hate foodstamps are trying to make that a thing of the past. It's good in the sense that you can also get necessities such as toilet paper, shampoo, etc. I can't even begin to stress the importance of also having some cash. Growing up, we didn't really buy things like paper towels/paper plates. We used glass and we used rags. We also only washed dishes at certain times with one sink full of water on both sides, as a way to save money on the water bill. Showers were very short (and seldom during the summer).
Basically, I was the definition of the "poor kid" in my town, and growing up was kind of a struggle since no one in my town understood poverty. My parents made about 7k PER YEAR. And that's all we had to live off of. It was pretty grueling sometimes, but we made it.

A lot of people here also get really angry at the fact that people on foodstamps buy "junkfood" like soda, chips, and cake. They claim it's "abusing" the system. I will be quick to admit that I LOVED soda and junk food as a kid, and my parents just wanted to make me happy and make me feel normal, so they got me soda and stuff every once in awhile.
You've been through a lot! My parents were low-income too so we never had paper towels or anything like that either but I can't remember them being concerned about water.. we went to second hand stores all the time though.

Ironic that "junk food" is now generally a lot cheaper than healthy food. I read an article about how grocery stores here price things differently depending on the neighbourhood, but that it's opposite of what you might expect. The low-income areas actually have higher prices. I forget what the rationale was. Probably something to do with the stores hitting their sales targets. It's systemic abuse and it makes me angry.

The town I grew up in, the nearest grocery store you could buy food in was about 30 miles away, so we usually just bought as much food as we could in a single swoop to avoid having to go back. I've noticed the price changes throughout the years, and they cut the amount of foodstamps A LOT in the last few years, as well. My parents used to be able to buy good things like fruits, veggies, and meats. Now it's seen as taboo for a person on foodstamps to buy any kind of meat or item they deem as a luxury. And now my parents buy ramen noodles, cheap lunch meat, bread, and maybe a few fruits if they are having a good sale on them. Our junk food here is SO cheap. You can buy tons of microwavable stuff that costs less than a dollar, or just a little over. But the cost of fruits/veggies/meats that would last the same amount of time cost 3-5 times as much. :

Adorable Fisher

nichole nikka
MarigoldMari
nichole nikka
I thought of it but I was kind of rushed since it was the first day of college. It truly is customer service. I always tell people that in the professional world, your feelings and opinions should be left at the door. If you can't do a job properly, you don't deserve that job. It's like people getting denied a marriage license for being gay. If you're against that, you should be against mistreatment of people based on their income.

Awwwh! I wish supermarkets were like that here. I live in a red state, so everyone is vehemently against foodstamps, medicaid, and any other form of welfare. It makes me pretty sad. I have quite a few health problems and I rely on medicaid SO MUCH! Without it, I would not have nearly enough to continue taking my medication. Without medication, I can have some life-threatening side effects. Everyone in the medical field seems pretty nice about my medicaid, though. I've only gotten one rude look and that ended pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, people's opinions vary... I do think if they're rude to you again then you should talk to the manager. Twice is even worse, and an even more sure way to know it would continue if not addressed. I'm so sorry it happened to you.

Gosh, its the opposite here o.o nobody bats an eye about foodstamps but the doctors treat you like crap and do the absolute least they can to treat you if you have medicaid. You're basically garbage when you hand over your card. I rely on medicaid also due to my serious physical health issues. I'm sorry you're dealing with that, too. But good on you for going to college (:

I'm only able to because FAFSA and academic scholarships. I do have 1.5k a semester that is not covered, so I will have to get a loan for that. :
Oh my o.o sounds tough.

Clever Goat

Only time I have ever had issues with people using food stamps was when I worked at a meat market that also sold some specialty and high end foods. If you're on food stamps, you should not be spending $360 on one meals worth of caviar, steaks and champagne.

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

MarigoldMari
nichole nikka
MarigoldMari
nichole nikka

Oh my o.o sounds tough.

I think it will be. I was always against loans, and my college kind of ******** me over because they lowered the amount I was supposed to get in my academic scholarship. Before, I had enough to actually make money from college. Now I'm going to need loans.

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

HiIdr
Only time I have ever had issues with people using food stamps was when I worked at a meat market that also sold some specialty and high end foods. If you're on food stamps, you should not be spending $360 on one meals worth of caviar, steaks and champagne.

Pretty sure you're not allowed to buy alcohol in most states on foodstamps, unless you sell alcohol as "food items."
Also, so what? What if it was an anniversary dinner and they decided they would go without for the rest of the month to have a special "one meal"? You are in no place to judge others based on what they buy. What business is it of yours to pass judgment onto them? You're just another example of a snob that takes it into their hands to look down at others based on what they buy. Buzz off with the "omg they don't deserve to occasionally indulge in things that we do." Please, get off this thread if you're the type of person I'm describing.

However, I would understand if the people constantly bought that stuff. But even then, there's nothing you can do. You can't even report it, as it is not considered "abuse" of the system. Now, find someone who is selling foodstamps and you might have some "abuse" to cry about.

Clever Goat

nichole nikka
HiIdr

Pretty sure you're not allowed to buy alcohol in most states on foodstamps, unless you sell alcohol as "food items."
Also, so what? What if it was an anniversary dinner and they decided they would go without for the rest of the month to have a special "one meal"? You are in no place to judge others based on what they buy. What business is it of yours to pass judgment onto them? You're just another example of a snob that takes it into their hands to look down at others based on what they buy. Buzz off with the "omg they don't deserve to occasionally indulge in things that we do." Please, get off this thread if you're the type of person I'm describing.

However, I would understand if the people constantly bought that stuff. But even then, there's nothing you can do. You can't even report it, as it is not considered "abuse" of the system. Now, find someone who is selling foodstamps and you might have some "abuse" to cry about.

If it's someone who did that every week, I think I can "judge" a little. The particular couple I was describing came in every single Thursday without fail.
So maybe I'm a snob because I feel like people who do that abuse the system. If someone wants to come in and do it on the occasion, fine. I like good food; who doesn't?

So yes, I'm obviously a judgmental little s**t. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

HiIdr
nichole nikka
HiIdr

If it's someone who did that every week, I think I can "judge" a little. The particular couple I was describing came in every single Thursday without fail.
So maybe I'm a snob because I feel like people who do that abuse the system. If someone wants to come in and do it on the occasion, fine. I like good food; who doesn't?

So yes, I'm obviously a judgmental little s**t. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Legally, they are not abusing the system and your judgment is pointless. If you care so much about abusing the system, how about finding someone who is actually abusing it and report them? It's pretty easy to tell when a customer is buying foodstamps for others, lol. The way you were talking seemed as if you talked down on them for doing it once. As if it even mattered.

You're far more than /just/ judgmental. I'm assuming you must have some personal issues or something. Regardless, I don't care. Just don't come here with your negativity.

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

Alexander J Luthor
nichole nikka
their face turned kind of into a look of disgust/superiority, and they quit talking completely. Didn't hand me the bags, didn't say anything that cashiers usually do. They just looked at me like I was the spawn of Satan.

Has anyone else ever had this experience?

********, I've DONE this to people. My favorite time being when some chicks ended up causing us to throw away about $30 in dairy and frozen products because their $70 in pop, chips, and other junk s**t was more important, and my job at the time had a strict health code policy when you had no idea how long a refrigerated item had been left out. That s**t pisses me off. Not only is it disgusting to see people using food stamps on s**t food, but to know that they prioritize doritos, mountain dew, fruit snacks, and spray cheese over eggs, yogurt, two gallons of milk, and string cheese is just infuriating.

And EVERY FRICKING TIME I hear people on food stamps b***h that they should be able to get protein powder and other products with "supplement facts" on the back, my hand itches to smack them. SNAP is like WIC, scratch that, I wish SNAP was like WIC because WIC has standards. I'll be the first one to say too many, maybe, but if we could dial SNAP up 10% on the WIC scale I'd get a lot less pissed off at shitty people who leave me with a ton of food when they or their card can't cover it. Because, ironically, SNAP and WIC are supposed to supplement what you can't cover yourself. It's not the magical key to your three-day binge fest of lobster and prime rib (yeah, Hildr isn't the only one who's seen repeat offenders buy top cuts that would last them a fraction of what it should every-single-renewal day) it's supposed to make sure you don't go hungry and have decent quality of food that doesn't get scraped off a McGrill for a buck.

But screw getting a "progressive" nation like America to understand that. The American public deserves to do whatever they want and deserves to sue whoever they want when s**t hits the fan.

asd;ab;uweb'aweivawevbw/evljbwe;vuaweb' Rant done.

WIC takes away their ability to choose. And so what if people put back healthy s**t. In the end, it only affects them because they're the ones that have to deal with the consequences of their unhealthy actions. And so what, maybe they were hosting a birthday party or some s**t? You never know WHY someone buys what they do. Also, unhealthy "junk" is cheaper than healthy food where I live. I can stretch 70 bucks out to about half a basket of off-brand bullshit mixed with microwavable s**t. But it costs 50$ if I buy a mixture of unhealthy+healthy food that will last a WEEK between 2 people. So please, lecture on some more about how you hold poor people in contempt. Please tell me more about how their food isn't up to your standards. rolleyes
My parents were the ones that gave me junk food and soda in order to make me feel normal/happy. I bet you'd look down on them, though. Because totally abusing the system by making their kid happy. lol Step off.

However, I will relate to you in the sense of repeat customers. It's bullshit but what are you going to do? Risk your job by talking smack? Orwut? Leave your opinions at the door when you go to work, as there is no place for them if you actually value your job. Also, I am not even a big fan of junk food. Chips are ******** disgusting and soda is pretty nasty. I am a big coffee/tea fan, though. So I could prob get judged a bit for that.
Either way you try to "fix" foodstamp issues would just end up in more abuse of the system. I HAVE known people who were good and abused the system, though. For instance, you can get about $100 worth of foodstamps for $50. The reason you get so much for so little is because people who sell them usually buy booze/drugs and don't really give a s**t about how much they get, because it's not like they were going to use them anyways. razz
Anyways, stricter controls won't matter much to those that don't abuse the system, it would actually end up punishing them.
I am only against people selling foodstamps, and I feel bad for the families that actually have to buy more.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I guess I can be a little growly about it, but not openly. Just in my head, you know? And not even food stamps in general, more like the quality/quantity of food that people buy with them, among other things.

Okay, like chips and soda and ******** steak. Chips and soda are junk food and should not be bought on food stamps. It should be in the same classification as curtains and s**t that people have to pay for out of pocket. Food stamps should cover everything that WIC covers, like the bread, milk, cheese, eggs, etc. And I haven't had steak in 5+ years because of the price, so when I see someone on food stamps buy steak, I get irate.

And the odd loopholes that people get with their food stamps make me frustrated. My boyfriend is a manager at Aldi, which is a great low-cost store. But the same people come in every single day and spend $100+. I don't understand how their cards allow them so much, when others have so little. Like certain people work that system to the max. When my boyfriend rings someone up, the receipt has a "remaining balance" on there, and some people are getting so, so much.

And then there's people that buy/sell/trade their food stamp cards. For money, drugs, cigarettes, whatever. I mean, that's a problem. And it happens all the time. People will pull out three, four cards to pay for stuff, and openly talk about buying/selling them.

But maybe I live in a s**t area.

I'm not judgmental of those that need help. I'm glad we have these things in place. I'm not an advocate for child starvation, after all. I just think there's got to be a better way to do it and weed out the misuse.

Gussygu's Widower

Ruthless Kitten

Shark Bacon
I guess I can be a little growly about it, but not openly. Just in my head, you know? And not even food stamps in general, more like the quality/quantity of food that people buy with them, among other things.

Okay, like chips and soda and ******** steak. Chips and soda are junk food and should not be bought on food stamps. It should be in the same classification as curtains and s**t that people have to pay for out of pocket. Food stamps should cover everything that WIC covers, like the bread, milk, cheese, eggs, etc. And I haven't had steak in 5+ years because of the price, so when I see someone on food stamps buy steak, I get irate.

And the odd loopholes that people get with their food stamps make me frustrated. My boyfriend is a manager at Aldi, which is a great low-cost store. But the same people come in every single day and spend $100+. I don't understand how their cards allow them so much, when others have so little. Like certain people work that system to the max. When my boyfriend rings someone up, the receipt has a "remaining balance" on there, and some people are getting so, so much.

And then there's people that buy/sell/trade their food stamp cards. For money, drugs, cigarettes, whatever. I mean, that's a problem. And it happens all the time. People will pull out three, four cards to pay for stuff, and openly talk about buying/selling them.

I'm not judgmental of those that need help. I'm glad we have these things in place. I'm not an advocate for child starvation, after all. I just think there's got to be a better way to do it and weed out the misuse.

No offense, but your boyfriend really shouldn't be snooping on their receipts in order to see how much money they have. That's just rude and unethical, and soooo unprofessional.
If you or your boyfriend see people pulling out multiple cards, REPORT THEM asap! People like that are what make other people have so little benefits of foodstamps, and IS considered abusing the system. It would make it to where they don't get foodstamps and possibly anyone who sold their foodstamps to them. I'm perfectly fine with actual abuse of systems.

I understand getting irritated, but you really have no right. My dad would often buy steaks (really discounted because the place he got them from was going to throw them out the same day he bought them), does he deserve to feel anger from someone like you? Nope, you can take your negative opinion elsewhere.

My main problem is repeat offenders/people who sell their foodstamps. Granted, they are NOT the majority though. (Drug testing has proven to be a fruitless waste of taxpayer money).

Another problem that I'm sure you're aware of if you are formally educated on social matters is actually implementation of new rules regarding foodstamps. As stated earlier, it could prove to be of no benefit. You never know who is just buying the junk occasionally or who is trying to buy things for a celebration. Are you really trying to tell me a little girl's birthday should be ruined because her parents aren't allowed to buy cake because a minority of people ruined it for the majority? How about a student who gets points taken off if they don't participate/bring something to a class "party"? (I've had this happen and witnessed it happen to many other students. I always got my points taken off.) How about someone with hypoglycemia issues who buys a box of cookies in the event their bloodsugar is too low? Should they go without? Would you be okay with someone regulating what you can or can not buy? Money circulates. Once YOUR money goes into circulation, it is no longer yours. To a person with foodstamps, that is THEIR money, not yours. Why should you be able to decide what they can or can not buy? I'm assuming you are also for making abortion legal, since you seem to like telling people what they can and can not do.

If you try to excuse punishing others for your immature stance on this issue, then shame on you. Realize that a very small percent of people actually abuse food stamps and the system. They do not represent the majority in any way, shape, or form. And any "regulation" would most likely impact the majority in a negative way.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
nichole nikka
Shark Bacon

No offense, but your boyfriend really shouldn't be snooping on their receipts in order to see how much money they have. That's just rude and unethical, and soooo unprofessional.
If you or your boyfriend see people pulling out multiple cards, REPORT THEM asap! People like that are what make other people have so little benefits of foodstamps, and IS considered abusing the system. It would make it to where they don't get foodstamps and possibly anyone who sold their foodstamps to them. I'm perfectly fine with actual abuse of systems.

I understand getting irritated, but you really have no right. My dad would often buy steaks (really discounted because the place he got them from was going to throw them out the same day he bought them), does he deserve to feel anger from someone like you? Nope, you can take your negative opinion elsewhere.

My main problem is repeat offenders/people who sell their foodstamps. Granted, they are NOT the majority though. (Drug testing has proven to be a fruitless waste of taxpayer money).

Another problem that I'm sure you're aware of if you are formally educated on social matters is actually implementation of new rules regarding foodstamps. As stated earlier, it could prove to be of no benefit. You never know who is just buying the junk occasionally or who is trying to buy things for a celebration. Are you really trying to tell me a little girl's birthday should be ruined because her parents aren't allowed to buy cake because a minority of people ruined it for the majority? How about a student who gets points taken off if they don't participate/bring something to a class "party"? (I've had this happen and witnessed it happen to many other students. I always got my points taken off.) How about someone with hypoglycemia issues who buys a box of cookies in the event their bloodsugar is too low? Should they go without? Would you be okay with someone regulating what you can or can not buy? Money circulates. Once YOUR money goes into circulation, it is no longer yours. To a person with foodstamps, that is THEIR money, not yours. Why should you be able to decide what they can or can not buy? I'm assuming you are also for making abortion legal, since you seem to like telling people what they can and can not do.

If you try to excuse punishing others for your immature stance on this issue, then shame on you. Realize that a very small percent of people actually abuse food stamps and the system. They do not represent the majority in any way, shape, or form. And any "regulation" would most likely impact the majority in a negative way.

Okay, well I guess I can address these things piece by piece.

My boyfriend isn't "snooping" on receipts. Like they literally print out and he sees them as they print. Like a person could theoretically avert their eyes, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to stare off into space as the receipt is printing. It prints, he tears it off, and he hands it to them. Occasionally he sees the balance. And sometimes it's outrageous.

As for reporting, I'm not even sure how that works, but I'll look into it.

Children's birthday cakes should be bought out of pocket. You're telling me you don't have the $1.25-$2 to purchase a box of Betty Crocker cake mix? Okay, then buy the ingredients single. Flour, sugar, eggs, oil- all covered by WIC. And I shouldn't have to see other people buy steak because a lot of us not on welfare can't afford to buy steak. It's an outrageous expense for someone on a limited income. It doesn't make sense.

And someone with hypoglycemia shouldn't be eating cookies, anyway. It's a poor health choice and will only lead to a later blood sugar drop. They would be better off eating peanut butter on Graham crackers for a slow burning protein. If the blood sugar is low enough, orange juice would be a good start, followed by a carb/protein snack. All of these options are covered on WIC. Or, make your own sugar cookies with the items you purchase (flour, sugar, butter, etc.), if you really insist on making such unhealthy choices.

And actually, your health choices are of great concern to the budget. The United States Medicaid/Medicare/SCHIP/veteran's care will amount to $600 billion dollars in a single year. 25% of the US budget is Medicaid/Medicare alone. So providing you and others with a healthier diet will save a lot of money in the long term.
This is why I support self-check out machines and wish they would advance to the point where it wouldn't call the clerk over to embarrass you when you use an EBT card.

I've heard those machines actually do that. Which is really stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff