Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Shapeshifter

16,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mark Twain 100
i don't know if this is something that's been addressed or not, but does Gaia know that some of the 'captchas' (whatever those things are where you have to fill in info to post) are actually just phishing for information? for instance 'do you speak spanish?' 'do you plan to go on vacation?' etc. it's vague enough for advertising, not quite enough to get your password or physical information, but still, is it necessary when you could just put random letters/numbers instead? surely there's a less intrusive method to prove you're a human than to give away your preferences...?
thanks for all the responses. wasn't sure if it was worth being concerned about. i just really like my privacy (what's left of it anyway).

Big Noob

I really just put random s**t.

Lanzer's Compadre

Sevalle
I really just put random s**t.

^- This.

Also, for these cases it's usually companies collecting information that would be useful later on (how many people speak X language and are interested in going onto X location for holiday).
These statistics will help them later on in terms of what audience they should target, etc.

Nothing to really worry about.

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

It technically isn't phishing. Phishing is when someone is trying to get personal/confidential information by pretending to be something they aren't (ex. someone claiming to be a bill collector asking for your credit/debit card information). If it is innocuous questions such as "are you in market for life insurance? Yes/No/Not Currently" it isn't considered phishing. Additionally, Gaia doesn't collect information from captchas. Most site captchas are from SolveMedia, which Gaia uses for their captcha provider.

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
❀ I'm pretty sure it's just a random CAPTCHA. Nothing to worry about.

Shirtless Streaker

Well..... Do you speak Spanish? Do you go on vacation? HUH?!?! DO YOU?!?! mad

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Quote:
it's vague enough for advertising

Sweetie, the internet has gone so far as to personalize the advertisement you receive in the mail at home.
The internet knows what you want or need before you do yourself.
It's called cookies.
It remembers everything you do on the internet and will personalize anything to what you visit most.
Vague captcha questions aren't doing anything that would in any way violate your privacy, and if you feel this is bad already then you're not safe on the internet.

Relentless Glitch

I think I put incredible numbers in just to spoil the survey with outliers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff