Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Ally

7,500 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Party Animal 100
is tektek.org gone now becuase i cant seem to go there and now gaia has a dream avi option which isnt up to par with what tektek had to offer in terms of knowing the items you want and finding them easily.

Shirtless Fatcat

it happened a while ago, i'm not sure when, or how, but i thought it was Gaia's doing.

Most of what i used tektek for was to figure out which items i wanted to sell out of my inventory and occasionally a speedier way to find an item for an outfit. with it gone it's a lot more work to casually toss off an item you forgot you owned but is now worth a buttload.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Tekron decided he didn't want to do it so he put up ads for his competitor on the site and to protect their trademark (legally really important to Gaiaonline) Gaia sent a C&D and tried to talk with him, Tekron decided to try and cash in on some gaians disatifaction (from what I hear there is talk about Tekron's site having embezzling issues or something) and closed the site.

Princess Kunzite's Princess

Spoiled Pandahime

Shouka Konton Cross
is tektek.org gone now becuase i cant seem to go there and now gaia has a dream avi option which isnt up to par with what tektek had to offer in terms of knowing the items you want and finding them easily.
OtakuJeannie

Tekton (creator of tektek) put an ad for his own site up on Tektek
Gaia, despite having let him put their IP (intellectual property) up on Tektek in the past decided with the ads they no longer wanted that
They asked him to either remove the ads or close the site
Tekton didn't reply and simply closed Tektek instead, focusing on his own site

After a large outcry for Gaia to make their own version they did, and clearly they're not going to just copy Tektek's style

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Mio_Mikata
it happened a while ago, i'm not sure when, or how, but i thought it was Gaia's doing.

Most of what i used tektek for was to figure out which items i wanted to sell out of my inventory and occasionally a speedier way to find an item for an outfit. with it gone it's a lot more work to casually toss off an item you forgot you owned but is now worth a buttload.
it wasn't Gaia's doing. Tekton decided to use tektek to plug their own avatar based website and while Gaia was okay with tektek before then they WEREN'T okay with tektek being used to advertise a rival site. so they sent a C&D saying Tekton had to take down the ads for his rival site or take down tektek. rather than remove the ads he took down the site.

basically you can't blame Gaia for not wanting their artwork on a site that was intentionally plugging a rival site, but you CAN blame Tekton for choosing to shut tektek down rather than remove those ads.

Shirtless Fatcat

Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

it wasn't Gaia's doing. Tekton decided to use tektek to plug their own avatar based website and while Gaia was okay with tektek before then they WEREN'T okay with tektek being used to advertise a rival site. so they sent a C&D saying Tekton had to take down the ads for his rival site or take down tektek. rather than remove the ads he took down the site.

basically you can't blame Gaia for not wanting their artwork on a site that was intentionally plugging a rival site, but you CAN blame Tekton for choosing to shut tektek down rather than remove those ads.
I wasn't active around then and got a really bad explanation (essentially they just said Gaia sent them a c&d finally) so thanks for clearing that up.

Greedy Ally

7,500 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Party Animal 100
Mio_Mikata
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

I wasn't active around then and got a really bad explanation (essentially they just said Gaia sent them a c&d finally) so thanks for clearing that up.

Well atleast i got some answers thx everyone for the info and even tho tektek is gone and tekton did gaia badly i will still miss it becuase it was easier to use to find out fits and parts on that. ^^ dont hate me gaia

Sexy Assailant

In a nutshell: There was shady behaviors on both Tekton and Gaia's end and it got ugly. Now tektek no longer exists.
Yeah its gone

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Lidke
In a nutshell: There was shady behaviors on both Tekton and Gaia's end and it got ugly. Now tektek no longer exists.
just what on Gaia's part was shady? they were perfectly fine with TekTek until they realized Tekton was intentionally using it to plug their own rival site. you realize that someone essentially using material copyrighted to Gaia as a way to plug their own rival site is something that warrants a C&D letter, right? and Gaia said they'd be fine with TekTek staying up if they stopped using it to blatantly advertise their rival site too. considering Gaia is a company that has to look after its own interests that was something they didn't have to do but elected to compromise on anyway. there's nothing shady about a company protecting their own interests unless they use questionable means to go beyond their own basic interests.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

maybe he needed the ads to help fund the site? or maybe it was too much work and he wasn't getting paid for it.

Angels Alibi
After a large outcry for Gaia to make their own version they did, and clearly they're not going to just copy Tektek's style.

gaia made their own? where?! you mean the marketplace? you cant see what you would look like with item sets unless you own them though. you can only try one piece at a time. from what I remember with tektek, you could find out what pieced look best together and not have to buy one piece to see how it looks with the other. for example, I had no idea how my avi would look when it was done. and I'm still looking for a better blue flame item for it. (I'd love a nano-c but cant afford it so im going page by page through the marketplace trying on blue items to see if they work well).

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
flutflut
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

maybe he needed the ads to help fund the site? or maybe it was too much work and he wasn't getting paid for it.
normal rotating ads like Gaia and many other sites use would have been fine and gotten them revenue for that. what they were doing was intentionally putting in ads for their rival site on every page. I repeat, Tekton was intentionally using tektek to advertise their own rival site, which essentially means they were using material copyrighted to Gaia Online to advertise a site that is a rival for Gaia Online.

this was NOT a case of Tekton doing something like using a third party rotating ad service that happened to have an add for their site in the rotation, this was completely intentional on their part to use tektek to promote their site. that gave Gaia every right to step in and say they weren't okay with that and do what they did.

also, hover over "My Gaia" and then click "Avatar Builder" if you want to see Gaia's avi builder. keep in mind it is a beta version of it tho.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Mugetsu Ookamiza
flutflut
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

normal rotating ads like Gaia and many other sites use would have been fine and gotten them revenue for that. what they were doing was intentionally putting in ads for their rival site on every page. I repeat, Tekton was intentionally using tektek to advertise their own rival site, which essentially means they were using material copyrighted to Gaia Online to advertise a site that is a rival for Gaia Online.

this was NOT a case of Tekton doing something like using a third party rotating ad service that happened to have an add for their site in the rotation, this was completely intentional on their part to use tektek to promote their site. that gave Gaia every right to step in and say they weren't okay with that and do what they did.

oh! I see! it was creating a conflict of interest. i thought you meant it was tektek's rival ads (which would be stupid if tektek put that up). But it is still kinda stupid that they were advertising against a site that they were kinda promoting....weird.
Quote:
also, hover over "My Gaia" and then click "Avatar Builder" if you want to see Gaia's avi builder. keep in mind it is a beta version of it tho.

thanks. maybe i'll try it.
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

Why would we blame Tekton for anything. He probably needed money to keep the site running, so he had to put up ads. But if he had to take down the ads, then no money would come in, which means the site probably would've been taken down anyway.

We could blame Gaia for it being shut down. Gaia wasn't helping Tekton to keep the site running. Tektek was to help gaians, so it wa basically helping Gaia out, but they didn't give him money for it.
But I'm ignorant, so I'm not fully sure on the bizz.

Lupine Spirit

14,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
jerrrrrell
Mugetsu Ookamiza
Mio_Mikata

Why would we blame Tekton for anything. He probably needed money to keep the site running, so he had to put up ads. But if he had to take down the ads, then no money would come in, which means the site probably would've been taken down anyway.

We could blame Gaia for it being shut down. Gaia wasn't helping Tekton to keep the site running. Tektek was to help gaians, so it wa basically helping Gaia out, but they didn't give him money for it.
But I'm ignorant, so I'm not fully sure on the bizz.
the problem wasn't Tekton having ads in general, if they were using normal third party rotating ads like Gaia and many other sites do there'd be no problem with that. the problem was that Tekton was intentionally putting ads to his own site on all of the pages on tektek. his site is a rival site to Gaia so he was essentially using Gaia's own intellectual property to plug his site which is a rival site to Gaia.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff