Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
As a very young child I wanted to be a stewardess. I changed my mind very fast to veterinarian when I fell in love with the job and after I heard of a plane crash where a stewardess died on board trying to save passengers. The saving part wasn't the problem; it's the thought that I might end up in a plane crash that scared me the most (still does, btw).
I was dead set on becoming the vet (I even knew about the risks, how long it took to complete the degree, etc) but I failed the highest level in secondary school (more info on how the school system works) and was forced to drop out.
I took a year of physical therapy in college only to realize that I have shitty people skills, so I dropped out.
Now I'm hoping to complete my degree in Clinical chemistry science and see what comes next after that.
I'd love to learn more about microbiology as well, to broaden my knowledge a little bit, but we'll see what'll happen next. I'd still love to help animals, but I think that I'll start first at a shelter.

As for support, my family is pretty okay with it; they just want me to hurry up and finish already.

Gracious Muse

16,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
bjorks
i wanted to be a marine biologist as a 10 year old, now im working towards being in the fashion industry. emotion_yatta my dad supports me 100%

What do you plan on pursuing in the fashion industry?

5,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Citizen 200
When I was in high school, I wanted to be a historian. My first year of college I majored in History so that I could become a curator, but then I discovered that maybe 2% go on to an actual career in a museum, and that was with a PHD and that was way too much schooling for me.
I changed my major to International Studies with the desire to do something in humanitarian work (ie the Peace Corp.) and loved it. By that time, though, I had met my (now) husband and did not want to leave the country while in a serious relationship.

I've since changed to Elementary Education. I'm one year away from becoming a teacher, and I am so excited! I live in Kansas, though, and our governor is waging a war against education at the moment. My dad is afraid I won't be able to find a job. If anything else, I will work in a daycare.

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Quote:

What did you want to be as a kid?
If you no longer want to do it, why?
What are you doing/aiming at now?
Is anyone in your family unsupportive of this career?

Hrm... I saw this one the other day but knew it was too late to write an answer for it.

I wanted to do many things as a kid, and I've actually fulfilled a lot of those dreams. That hard set goal though... I remember saying I wanted to be a surgeon when I was a kid. I was told I had very good slim dexterous fingers and relflexes and I remember family members saying it was a good trait to become a surgeon. Coming from a medical family, I thought medicine was clearly in my future.
All those other dreams as a child of being an archaeologist, or an environmental scientist, or a pirate/treasure hunter, or a map making explorer, etc... those came to fruition. But the surgeon career did not.

Well I interned and shadowed and worked volunteer hours at our local veterans hospital, and in order to get enough hours in for a scholarship I was applying for, they doubled up my work schedule and I ended up working in surgical for a little while. This bothered the crap out of me. Maybe surgery itself didn't bother me, but everyone sitting in recovery kind of crushed my soul.
Recently I busted my hand on a flask at work and saw my own meat staring back at me like hamburger. Now I'm quite certain surgery was not the career for me xp

Now I'm working for a renewable fuel company. I could have continued to my Masters degree, but I wanted real working experience instead of just the same old schooling I had done for 2 decades of my life @_@
It's alright. I do/did like my job. Honestly it's just a coworker or two that really ruins it for me. I have a pretty good time in every other aspect and most of my fellow coworkers are super helpful and nice and really understand. (I tell ya... all it takes is that one micromanaging jerk to ruin everything. Seriously, I was so mad at his bs the other day that I wasn't taking proper care in my titrations - I ended up cutting my hand on a broken flask and needing stitches. Sad too, we had just gone 1.5 years with no recordable accidents. Sigh...)
Experience in the industry has taught me this: F*** that, and f*** the industry. If you care at all about the real nitty gritty and not just about cutting the most corners to make the most profit, stay away from corporate. If you care at all about the shred of optimism left in the world, please contribute to it and don't kill it by joining the corporate world.
I can't wait to go back to school now, but I want a little bit of time to set up a personal lab, gather some preliminary data, and know what questions I'd like to ask and problems I might have to encounter when I work on my thesis.
Other than that I would really like to be getting into the canna-meds sector. I already have tons of lab experience. I also cook a lot, know how to make homemade soda, and bake/make confections/candies. If I could take that to the next level, I could extract cannabinoids, convert them, and infuse them into products. I applied for various internships for this very thing in Colorado and California, but y'know they'd rather hire someone in-state before an out-of-stater. confused
Eventually, I was hoping I could settle in with a decent income and perhaps teach at a community college after my Masters degree. I like the setting, the atmosphere, and the goals of a community college versus a large state school.

Well, yeah, a family of doctors and pharmacists is going to see an Environmental Biology/Anthropology degree as me throwing away my life on something not useful.
It's very useful though, and entirely necessary. Will I live like a poor lame-o to do the right thing? Yes I will. I blame you dad. You and your morals and values that you imprinted in my brain...
And the canna-meds/canna-culture? Most certainly. They are completely against that. But oh well. I've studied ethnobotany in America and across the seas. There's a long history of plants-as-medicine and an even longer evolutionary history of the ecological effects that humans and plants have on each other. I feel nothing morally wrong with what I want to do.
My grandfather was a lecturer at the local college though, and he taught my mom to always learn everything you can about the world around you. I asked my mom what she thought of me becoming a professor. She said "you may not earn a lot, but it's worth it to be happy."
And she became a doctor so that she could earn money to put her siblings through school... So that's saying something.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
My Little Spider Friend

I wanted to be a doctor. Specifically, a neurologist or. Find out how the mind goes wrong(okay then a neuropsychologist), help find a way to fix it, save lives, etc.
Secondary ambition was astronomy.
I've given up because there is nothing more cutthroat than med school. And because it requires the best of the best, which I am simply not.
I want to be a lab assistant again. The peace and quiet, the small company of intelligent, non-obnoxious people, the meaning of making sure things work properly(in a QA lab like I've been before), or - in a research lab - how and why, maybe I'll go higher and become a researcher, something that fascinated me since highschool. In mid-late October, I'm starting a degree that's 100% gonna land me in a QA lab, in my opinion. I mean, it's like the first job any B.Sc. graduate searches for.
Not now, but if I stay a lab assistant in, say, 15 years, my old folks are probably gonna frown. It's considered entry-level rather than a dream career, and barring the pay(which in this day's economy is a given) I can't really see why.

Shy Browser

I wanted to be a teacher as a kid, though I've always had my heart set on being a writer. I'm doing office work now, and I write a little bit in my free time, though I haven't published anything. I think I realized that teaching isn't for me-I'm way too shy. My family's supportive of what I'm doing for now-working full time in an office and going to school for an office administration degree.

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
video game maker. i think this is a common one. maybe animator (cartoons & comics)

lost interest

it tech. i'd like to build up certificates and go back to school but since my hours were cut for the summer its made me lazy again.i just wanna lounge around whenever im not working ninja

no

Dapper Noob

I was the kid without any real aspirations.
Apparently when I was younger if somebody asked what wanted to be I'd answered more than once with "Link" - from the Legend of Zelda.

When I hit my teens I decided I want to get into the game dev industry somehow but I fell out of that realizing just how awful the work is there at the moment. Long hours, terrible pay and not a lot of respect.

Got forced into college to take office administration courses I never wanted to take due to a manipulative mother and I'm now doing data entry from home with some retail on the side.

My mother wants me to do more but with how ill I am there's not much I can do and everybody else in my life is shocked I'm working at all since most people in my position they know just mooch welfare, apparently.

Romantic Fatcat

My younger self always aspired to be a doctor, and when I grew older I narrowed down to plastic surgeon.

I did clinic rotation in high school and to my dismay found that doctors don't have much contact
with their patients. It was soul crushing. Up until my second year of college, I held on to those altruistic dreams.

Now nearing the end of my junior year I have changed paths to become a biomedical engineer and focus instead in regenerative medicine. This past summer I did an internship at a biomaterials lab and I realize that I love doing research, and I love that my work could impact thousands of people.

Click here to learn more and help me out
dream job as a kid: doggy daycare owner or cat cafe owner
job i'm pursuing now: pediatric nurse

Feline Rogue

11,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
I wanted to be a singer/artist (the drawing kind lol) when I was little. Mainly because I was so cripplingly shy, that's all I did.

Now, is kinda different. I think it would be fun to make flash animations because I watch game-grumps too much. But I like animals a lot. Though being a vet made me turn away because I've already experienced too much death and loss in my life already. I've been thinking something more creative now. Mainly video gaming technology.

Btw, I kinda tensed up when you said a breeder, but I'm happy I kept reading because they are the unusually cool animals you want to breed. Too many dog and cat mills out there. My sister used to breed for snakes and bearded dragons. I think leapord geckos too. smile

Sparkly Prophet

What did you want to be as a kid? When I was a child growing up, for some reason I was really interested in being an archaeologist or a radiologist.

If you no longer want to do it, why? As for me being as archaeologist, once I got older and realized what archaeology was really about, I knew it was definitely a no for me. The pay, job description and my location really lead to it being a turn off. As for being a radiologist, my family isn't the richest people in the country or even the tri-state area. That being said, I wouldn't be able to really afford going to medical school. Also, being in that position comes with A LOT of education.

What are you doing/aiming at now?Currently, I'm going to pursue business. I'm stuck between deciding to do accounting or finance or possibly both! (one as a major and other as minor)

Is anyone in your family unsupportive of this career? My family doesn't necessarily disagree with my path but they really really wanted to me do something medical like nursing.

Inquisitor

19,975 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
        as a kid, i wanted to be a fantasy author, artist, or teacher.

i would still like to be an author, the issue is that i suck hardcore at writing. which sort of rules that out as a career option, aha!
        being an artist would be nice, and i have been looking into offering commissions for a while now, but again i lack confidence in my ability.
        as for teaching, it's always sort of been my back up option, so while i wouldn't mind being a teacher, it's not my ultimate aspiration.

right now i'm about to start university, and i figure i still have a few years to mull over what i want to do with myself.
        i'm going to study medieval history, so a career in a museum or archive might be fun. or perhaps becoming a researcher for historical films or tv shows?
        as i said above, i'm also working on improving my art so i can offer commissions, just to earn a little extra money.

my parents are both very supportive of whatever i want to do, really. i suffer from depression and honestly they just want me to be happy and fulfilled, they don't have any aspirations for me beyond that.
        my dad does like the idea of becoming a researcher or maybe a lecturer, because he thinks that would suit me.
        as for the rest of my family, we don't really talk about it much.

Magical Shapeshifter

I wanted to be a dentist as a small kid. Right now I'm in nursing school.
When i was a kid I wanted to be a garbageman...I remember seeing those big green trucks drive past the front of our city house time and time again, always wishing I could be the lad who rides on the back of it, hanging on for his dear life...that looked like the funnest thing in the world to me xDD

Right now? I just finished my associate of applied sciences for information technology, and I'm gonna be sitting around on my butt all day programming, developing software, as soon as i can find a job xp

I guess the best thing about my dream job is it's always in reach xD and even pays just as much too! lol! whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff