Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanged Wyvern

20,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
So...Wait....I can go to jail for painting a swingset on my property PURPLE?....

I am tempted to paint my house the most eyesoar purple color ever....

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Angel_of_Light98
I never want to live in a neighborhood run by an HOA. ._.

I want to be able to do what I want with my home. I mean, I paid for it. o3o

I wouldn't want to because not only do they regulate what you do with your yard, they also charge you per month or year (depending) HOA fees which you can't get out of. So you have to pay them to tell you what to do sweatdrop the benefit of HOAs though is that your property value doesn't go down much, if at all. Buuut, I would much rather be able to do what I want with my yard and color choices.
Silverlight Symphony
Angel_of_Light98

I wouldn't want to because not only do they regulate what you do with your yard, they also charge you per month or year (depending) HOA fees which you can't get out of. So you have to pay them to tell you what to do sweatdrop the benefit of HOAs though is that your property value doesn't go down much, if at all. Buuut, I would much rather be able to do what I want with my yard and color choices.

I'm not paying a fee just to be told I can't grow food.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Moral Gutpunch
Silverlight Symphony
Angel_of_Light98

I'm not paying a fee just to be told I can't grow food.

rofl I myself like being my own master of the land I bought. I heard it is really hard to not have to go through an HOA in some parts of the country now though.

Kawaii Shoujo

Is anyone else getting a sense of deja vu from this story about the home owners association crap?

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

fairy-phoenix
Is anyone else getting a sense of deja vu from this story about the home owners association crap?

you mean that story about a lady daring to have a playhouse in her backyard against the wishes of her overlords?

Kawaii Shoujo

Yuki_Windira
fairy-phoenix

you mean that story about a lady daring to have a playhouse in her backyard against the wishes of her overlords?
That's the one and the one who had the dare to paint it PINK emotion_brofist

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

fairy-phoenix
Yuki_Windira
fairy-phoenix

That's the one and the one who had the dare to paint it PINK emotion_brofist

The horrors of it all! emotion_donotwant
Time to rotate out the HOA leaders.

Newbie Noob

Moral Gutpunch
Capt Buckner ******** HOAs[/quote]
Why do we have them any
6rm7odnd:1="Capt Buckner ******** HOAs[/quote]
Why do we have them anymore?
HOAs can be terrible, but you're looking at the worse of the worse.

My parent's HOA saves them money, because they keep common areas clean cheaper and nicer than what the city would. Single payer system tend can be corrupt, but they also give a huge bargaining power when negotiating for services, since you represent the life of a company with a single contract.
Slutty_Eddie
Moral Gutpunch
Why do we have them any
6rm7odnd:2="Capt Buckner ******** HOAs[/quote]

My parent's HOA saves them money, because they keep common areas clean cheaper and nicer than what the city would. Single payer system tend can be corrupt, but they also give a huge bargaining power when negotiating for services, since you represent the life of a company with a single contract.

Having looked them up, that's not how most HOA's work. Few actually work with neighbors and negotiate, most just work with real estate companies, who want to keep prices up as high as possible (real estate agencies don't like having children or children-friendly sites in the area).

Newbie Noob

Moral Gutpunch
Slutty_Eddie
Moral Gutpunch
Why do we have them any
6rm7odnd:3="Capt Buckner ******** HOAs[/quote]

Having looked them up, that's not how most HOA's work. Few actually work with neighbors and negotiate, most just work with real estate companies, who want to keep prices up as high as possible (real estate agencies don't like having children or children-friendly sites in the area).
Real estate agencies don't like child friendly areas?Where exactly do you live?

An HOA is made up of your neighbors, not of real estate companies. That's the people running the HOA. Sure, they do pay part of their due towards the builder, but if the neighborhood is a lot of families, then there's going to be a lot of child friendly stuff. Crap, my sister's HOA maintains a play structure.
Slutty_Eddie

Near San Francisco, but it's pretty universal. Loud noises, non-adult oriented businesses, public parks (often associated with graffiti), stuff on the lawn (like the playset mentioned here), and sidewalks (higher end neighborhoods are made for driving everywhere, even short distances. Kids don't own cars or have chauffeurs usually), pools, and any kid-related evidence in the house (height marks on doorways, permanently installed stuff, kid=proofing on counters.

Slutty_Eddie
An HOA is made up of your neighbors, not of real estate companies.

Uh, I don't think so. I checked.

Slutty_Eddie
That's the people running the HOA. Sure, they do pay part of their due towards the builder, but if the neighborhood is a lot of families, then there's going to be a lot of child friendly stuff. Crap, my sister's HOA maintains a play structure.

Given that the HOA is owned by the real estate company, they don't HAVE to listen to neighbors. It's great you have a nice one, but that doesn't mean any other HOA does. Heck it doesn't mean the HOA can't changed their mind any time they want.

I'd volunteer tons if my community actually had true authority over itself. But knowing the HOA 'let me decide out of kindness' like a parent 'letting a kid decide bedtime' wouldn't put me at ease. I mean, look at all the other stuff mentioned that HOA's did in this thread, including that you can go to jail for having the wrong species of grass on your lawn,

Newbie Noob

Moral Gutpunch
Slutty_Eddie

Near San Francisco, but it's pretty universal. Loud noises, non-adult oriented businesses, public parks (often associated with graffiti), stuff on the lawn (like the playset mentioned here), and sidewalks (higher end neighborhoods are made for driving everywhere, even short distances. Kids don't own cars or have chauffeurs usually), pools, and any kid-related evidence in the house (height marks on doorways, permanently installed stuff, kid=proofing on counters.
HOAs have nothing to do with businesses, public parks nor sidewalks. That's the builder proper who decides whether a community has a common area or sidewalks, and the zoning board of the city that decides what businesses can be in the community.

Apparently, the laws in California really suck for HOAs. Never knew that. Every HOA in Michigan has a board consisted of members who have been voted in from the community. Probably not something you want to volunteer for, since they're very difficult to change anything. Usually it requires 90% of the votes to do anything in my parent's HOA, so basically it's just an organization to keep the common areas clean and maintained.
Slutty_Eddie
HOAs have nothing to do with businesses, public parks nor sidewalks.

And I never said they did. You did notice that, right?

Slutty_Eddie
That's the builder proper who decides whether a community has a common area or sidewalks, and the zoning board of the city that decides what businesses can be in the community.

Yes, and such zoning is more profitable for realtors. You have yet to disagree with me.

Slutty_Eddie
Apparently, the laws in California really suck for HOAs. Never knew that.

It's terrible all over the country, but it's more prevalent in places like San Francisco (expensive real estate with all those things I mentioned that suck for kids, but realtors see dollar signs.) I've lived in several places without HOAs, but my parents bought it because it was 'good real estate'. Craptastic childhood.

Slutty_Eddie
Every HOA in Michigan has a board consisted of members who have been voted in from the community. Probably not something you want to volunteer for, since they're very difficult to change anything. Usually it requires 90% of the votes to do anything in my parent's HOA, so basically it's just an organization to keep the common areas clean and maintained.
Your state sounds awesome. Are you sure its the entire state? Because that sounds unlikely, but still awesome.

I'd still volunteer to help clean up if I could. Trash is nasty.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff