Welcome to Gaia! ::

Skilled Raider

5,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm having a bit of an issues starting out my book. I have the main idea, characters, plot, and everything figured out, but I'm having the same issues as many writer's do.... STARTING THE BOOK! I have tried just letting it flow, and I didnt like how it came out, then I tried to plan the chapter out THAT didn't work, and I couldnt really get the feel for it...

I'm also having a hard time trying to figure out if I should write in 1st or 3rd person...

The story is about a Hybrid assassin named Naevia Reign (Yes my name) during the Medieval period, she meets a human named Roy that she had has saved from an abusive Thane who planned to kill him, when she shot an arrow through the Thane's head. No one else saw her, but the boy did, and he searched for 6 years to find her and pay back his dept. When he finds her, She agree's that he can tag along with her, and her midsize dragon Ignitus, as they complete her tasks for a group known as the Kasahame, but badluck starts following them, as another group trys to capture Naevia for their selfish desires... Roy finds that Naevia actually has a darker past then she leads on, and that her hands have more blood on them, then he ever imagined. Will he continue to pay back his dept? Or will he turn Naevia over to the Group?...

and thats were I end it. STILL DONT KNOW HOW TO START OUT! the Prologue is how Naevia and Roy first meet, and its in 3rd person, so I would like to continue to story in third person, but its really really really hard to start it out... HELP!

Divine Sage

You do not have to write the story in chronological order. It may help to write the scenes that come to you first, and then stitch the pieces together later. You may gain some inspiration for your beginning later this way.

Also, if your prologue is in third person, it would probably be best to maintain consistency.
That's the trouble with writing books; you only learn how to write the book when you've written it, and even then you've only learned how to write that specific book. Other writers can only give you suggestions, in the hopes that something will work for you. Here's an article or three that worked for me one or two times:

Ways to overcome writer's block.

How to write 10,000 words a day (and here's the blog post that it's based on)

Hopefully, one of those will help. None of them did a bloody thing with my last attempt, though, so I'm still on the lookout for more tips, which I will share when I find something else that works for me. >.>
What I do is brainstorm scenes or things that I want to happen within the book and free write them out. Once I do that I see what I have and try to expand from those scenes to make chapters. Once that is done then I put them into order and tie them together basically by adding more or taking out things. Writing a book is like a puzzle. Plus I never usually write the beginning of the book first. Sometimes it helps to skip it and go back to it once you are finished or have an awesome idea. Those are just tips/ideas though. It usually works for me, but like everyone says, not one particular way works for everyone.

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I tend to rewrite the opening scene over and over, and never get anything done.
I find it easier to write scenes and then placing them in the story later.

Questionable Prophet

Write it and don't look back.
You're not going to like it, it's not even the first draft at this point, but the rough. Just get all the ideas out there and you can go back and fix it later.

You can always skip the beginning and come back and fill it in later.

Magical Lover

I have a feeling that you're like me and have to write from the beginning to the end, in order of how the events unfold.

So, what's your vision for the opening scene? I tend to try and describe either a specific action, or the surroundings, just so I can get in there and keep writing.

It doesnt matter how good it is. it can always be edited (or removed) later on.

Questionable Sex Symbol

9,325 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
What Flemmes said, write whatever comes to mind and then piece it together after.

Starters:

1) Roy, now six years older and on the lookout for her, is in a tavern when he thinks he sees her. Getting up to chase after her, she escapes and blends into the crowd. He turns down an alley he thought he saw her go down, but she wasn't there. As he turns to leave, she jumps down from the rooftops and corners him, interrogating and asking why he's following her.

2) He has stolen something, or is running away from some sort of military/police/etc, and she sees him. Figuring he's innocent, which he may be, she swoops in to save him and realizes it's the same boy who she saved six years ago.

Try watching a movie or reading a story that has the same key aspects as your story, or listen to some music you think would fit into your story to get your juices flowing.
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Write it and don't look back.
You're not going to like it, it's not even the first draft at this point, but the rough. Just get all the ideas out there and you can go back and fix it later.

You can always skip the beginning and come back and fill it in later.

Agree. Just start with the first thing you know needs to happen. That is a beginning. It may not be the beginning, but you can fix it later.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff