Welcome to Gaia! ::

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Before I knew about wheat being an allergy, I had constant stomach pain and migraines so intense I would wake up crying. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I found this article about it.

The migraines were so bad, they impacted my ability to live my life. It was so bad. And, you'd think people would be understanding, but that was not the case... people say you're faking. I mean, wtf, where did those people get their medical degrees? stare

Seems like everyone has an opinion on your health/thinks they know what you're going through/judges you as if they have any clue. I wish people would be more understanding about when you're going through a major health issue.

Certain people around me were especially judgmental/awful. I try to just brush their comments off... and things have gotten so much better for me since I made dietary changes, but it doesn't really change how people have been/how they still react. Even if I get so much as a cold rolleyes

Blessed Codger

Criticism seems especially harsh when you're grappking with a serious illness. Heck, EVERYTHING seems especially harsh then. I would tell you to ignore people being judgmental, but I know how fragile chronic illness can make a person. :/

I have some stomach issues that are usually manageable. There have been a couple periods over the last few years, though, where I was literally starving for a couple of weeks at a time because it made me so sick. It messes with your mind, and when all your energy is devoted to grappling with this physical issue, one jerky comment can just bowl you over. :/ I am truly sorry.

Personally, I try to talk about my dietary restrictions as little as possible. Certain diets (like wheat-free ones) are so in vogue right now that people are tired of hearing about it. It isn't fair that they assume you're being pretentious when you legitimately need special food, but that's the reality of it.

Hopefully if you don't make a big deal about it, people will be less inclined to judge. I'm sorry if that isn't very helpful, but you certainly have my support! heart

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Viviane_neechan
Criticism seems especially harsh when you're grappking with a serious illness. Heck, EVERYTHING seems especially harsh then. I would tell you to ignore people being judgmental, but I know how fragile chronic illness can make a person. :/

I have some stomach issues that are usually manageable. There have been a couple periods over the last few years, though, where I was literally starving for a couple of weeks at a time because it made me so sick. It messes with your mind, and when all your energy is devoted to grappling with this physical issue, one jerky comment can just bowl you over. :/ I am truly sorry.

Personally, I try to talk about my dietary restrictions as little as possible. Certain diets (like wheat-free ones) are so in vogue right now that people are tired of hearing about it. It isn't fair that they assume you're being pretentious when you legitimately need special food, but that's the reality of it.

Hopefully if you don't make a big deal about it, people will be less inclined to judge. I'm sorry if that isn't very helpful, but you certainly have my support! heart

Thank you, and yes. I know what you mean. I hate bringing up that I can't eat wheat, because people assume I'm just being annoying. I wish I didn't ever have to worry or think about it. I love bread, and want to eat it... but now, it makes me so sick, even if I just smell it, I remember all the times it made me sick and feel nauseated.

That's good in a way, because I don't feel as left out/miss it as much. But, yes, I really wish I never had to bring it up with anyone. I would never judge the way anyone else ate. And if I didn't have this medical problem, I would be eating all the bread I wanted! So, if you can eat it... I say more power to you!

Thanks for your comment, it made me feel better. heart Actually, just talking about it really helps.
Maybe once people see how much better you are now that you don't eat wheat any more they will stop being so judgemental about it?

It can be really hard when you have an illness that isn't easy to see that your sick. I have fibromyalgia and most people I know have no idea what it is or how it can affect me, they can't understand why I cant just take some medicine and be better. Trust me, if it was that easy, I would be better.

I hope people stop being judgemental to you, and think, its kinda good thing that wheat free is in fashion right now, it make it easier for you to find things that you can eat. Sorry about the bread though, I love bread too, I can imagine how much it must suck to not be allowed to have it.

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Viviane_neechan

Part of me wishes that fad diet had never happened. LOL
But part of me is glad it did, because before I didn't have a lot of options at grocery stores or eat-out places. Now I have options. So, it is worth putting up with people thinking I'm just doing an annoying fad. I'd rather have the extra food possibilities. And, although it is still expensive... getting some rice bread every now and then is actually affordable now! So, thanks crazy hipsters!! sweatdrop

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
bangles
Maybe once people see how much better you are now that you don't eat wheat any more they will stop being so judgemental about it?

It can be really hard when you have an illness that isn't easy to see that your sick. I have fibromyalgia and most people I know have no idea what it is or how it can affect me, they can't understand why I cant just take some medicine and be better. Trust me, if it was that easy, I would be better.

I hope people stop being judgemental to you, and think, its kinda good thing that wheat free is in fashion right now, it make it easier for you to find things that you can eat. Sorry about the bread though, I love bread too, I can imagine how much it must suck to not be allowed to have it.

ironically, it has mostly been FAMILY judging me like this. The people who are supposed to be supportive and there for you... my mother in-law calls me "weak"... she has diabetes and should know better!

btw, I am so sorry to hear you know what difficult health conditions can be like. It's no joke... especially when you have no idea WHY you're sick... so I was getting rid if random potentially allergens like dairy or eggs... finally tried wheat, and it worked. I am just sticking with it. No reason not to.

I have a friend who suffers from Fibro, and it makes me so mad when people tell her she's imagining her pain. She is suffering, and they make it so much worse! I say, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. I bet if those same people had to walk a mile in my friend's shoes, they couldn't do nearly as well as she does with it.
Delle42

ironically, it has mostly been FAMILY judging me like this. The people who are supposed to be supportive and there for you... my mother in-law calls me "weak"... she has diabetes and should know better!

That is really harsh, maybe you should talk to them? Tell them that the way they are treating you is hurting your feelings and/or try to educate them about wheat allergies.

You would think that som one with a chronic illness like diabates, and especially diabetes would understand how hard it can be on a restricted diet. I had to do it when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes, and if it wasn't for the health of my unborn babies I really don't think I could of done it, I had to stop eating nearly all the foods I liked best, had to measure all my food, and test my blood every 2 hours, and then there was the insulin injections too.

I hope they get over whatever their problem is and start acting more mature, you would think they would be happy that your feeling better than you was.

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
bangles
Delle42

That is really harsh, maybe you should talk to them? Tell them that the way they are treating you is hurting your feelings and/or try to educate them about wheat allergies.

You would think that som one with a chronic illness like diabates, and especially diabetes would understand how hard it can be on a restricted diet. I had to do it when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes, and if it wasn't for the health of my unborn babies I really don't think I could of done it, I had to stop eating nearly all the foods I liked best, had to measure all my food, and test my blood every 2 hours, and then there was the insulin injections too.

I hope they get over whatever their problem is and start acting more mature, you would think they would be happy that your feeling better than you was.

Right? Aw. Bless you for being such a good mom to your babies. heart That couldn't have been easy on you.
I don't get it, and maybe they will come around. Or maybe I just can't do anything that will be good enough. Sometimes I think it isn't so bad to spend less time with people if they can't manage to show support. Maybe they'll get why you aren't around as much, and will behave better. One can hope.

I do have other people in my life who are extremely supportive. They go so far as to make sure I have something to eat, too, when they have a gathering. They absolutely do not have to do that, and I think it's so thoughtful.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I have Arthritis (among some other issues like a deficiency that affects my balance) which is an invisible disease to begin with, but being so young people are often jerks abut it. I get the whole "but it's an old people disease!" thing a lot or my personal favourite "but you look fine". Like yeah I might look fine, but I don't FEEL fine.

Or people who do believe I have it don't understand why I can't just take some pills and be okay, or they act like exercising and eating veggies is a cure, or that yoga and meditation will make it all better. It doesn't. It's a chronic illness with no cure, I will have this for the rest of my life. Sometimes it goes into remission for a while, and sometimes I have very intense flareups.

It's frustrating in a lot of situations. For example, when I'm on the bus I often have to sit down, and I get a lot of hell for not offering up my seat, or when I need to stop and take a break, or I'm just unable to do something.

The thing is, a lot of people just don't understand it if they don't experience it themselves. They're ignorant about it because, well, they're ignorant. It's something that everyone will not understand and you have to learn how to let their opinions and comments go.

Playful Guildswoman

My migraine triggers are pork and aged cheese. It took quite a while to isolate those. For a long time, I thought it was sodium nitrate, which is s preservative used in most lunch meats, but it was pork. And especially cheddar in cheeses.

Just a thought - you may be sensitive to gmo''s rather than wheat, but don't bother testing it if you are a lot better. The alternative would be to switch to organic wheat.

*Cuddles.*

Blessed Codger

Delle42
Viviane_neechan

Part of me wishes that fad diet had never happened. LOL
But part of me is glad it did, because before I didn't have a lot of options at grocery stores or eat-out places. Now I have options. So, it is worth putting up with people thinking I'm just doing an annoying fad. I'd rather have the extra food possibilities. And, although it is still expensive... getting some rice bread every now and then is actually affordable now! So, thanks crazy hipsters!! sweatdrop

So true! My youngest brother needs a gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free (basically everything-free) diet, and we can actually feed him when we go out! If having hipsters around is the price we pay for having food options, I'll take them any day. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff