Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I am disturbed.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/father-lets-daughter-drown-to-avoid-dishonor-126424903647.html

A search and rescue official in Dubai says it was one of the most disturbing cases of his career. The father of a 20-year-old woman let her drown rather than have her “dishonored” by being touched by male lifeguards, Lt. Col. Ahmed Burqibah, the deputy director of the Dubai Police’s Search and Rescue Department, tells Emirates 24/7. Burqibah says the shocking incident happened at a Dubai beach and involved a man he describes as “Asian.” He says the lifeguards rushed to help when they heard the woman’s screams and they would have been able to save her if the father hadn’t fought them.

“The father was a tall and strong man. He started pulling and preventing the rescue men and got violent with them,” Burqibah says. “He told them that he prefers his daughter being dead than being touched by a strange man."

It’s not clear exactly when the incident happened, but Burqibah says the father was arrested and prosecuted for preventing rescuers from doing their job. A safety official at the Dubai Festival City development tells Hotelier Middle East that while "cultural sensitivities” make it important to hire female lifeguards, the community needs to realize that male lifeguards must be allowed to act when necessary. (A Colorado man who felt something unusual brush his foot saved a 3-year-old from drowning.)
Makes sense

Kawaii Shoujo

Disgusting is all I can say about that father emotion_puke

Wintry Dragon

Pretty medieval.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
A mali
Pretty medieval.

I think even Medieval people would be pissed about this. I'm no expert, but I think that if a strange man rescued someone's daughter from drowning, he'd be considered a good guy. Hell, if the woman wasn't married, or betrothed to anyone, they might check out this man's background to see if he's good enough for her. At least, that's what I understand. I could be wrong.

Wintry Dragon

Blood Valkyrie
A mali
Pretty medieval.

I think even Medieval people would be pissed about this. I'm no expert, but I think that if a strange man rescued someone's daughter from drowning, he'd be considered a good guy. Hell, if the woman wasn't married, or betrothed to anyone, they might check out this man's background to see if he's good enough for her. At least, that's what I understand. I could be wrong.
Are you restricting the definition of medieval to Europe though? I guess a better word could be used to describe that man's beliefs based on his culture. Just can't think of one right now. sweatdrop Barbaric? Dark Aged? Throw back?

However, I wouldn't be so surprised that a few cultures stick strictly to their traditions that supersedes the value of an individual.

Interstellar Astronaut

27,775 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
I'm curious to know how his wife feels about this. What a terrible parent.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
A mali
Blood Valkyrie
A mali
Pretty medieval.

Are you restricting the definition of medieval to Europe though? I guess a better word could be used to describe that man's beliefs based on his culture. Just can't think of one right now. sweatdrop Barbaric? Dark Aged? Throw back?

However, I wouldn't be so surprised that a few cultures stick strictly to their traditions that supersedes the value of an individual.

You know ... I'm not even sure anymore.

At least we can agree this guy was a sick b*****d.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
What? How? I don't even... WHAT? How do people like this even exist? The sheer level of stupid here is mind-boggling. I'm thinking he wanted his daughter dead.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Yet Another Islamic ********.

How about that religion of Love and Peace.
Why does this planet still allow them to practice their archaic "laws"

Virtuous Cleric

3,675 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
that all there kind is good for rolleyes

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Disgusting. I hope he gets charged for letting her die. I hope this s.o.b doesn't have any more kids.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
He is a terrible father for preventing rescuers from doing their jobs because of their sex.

Lonely Poster

8,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Some cultures should become extinct.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers