Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
A rookie officer shot a 19 year old college football player who was vandalizing vehicles at a car dealership. Security called police after the teen tried to stomp on windshields in the parking lot. The rookie officer had his pistol drawn and the veteran officer had his taser drawn. The teen was shot 4 times after he allegedly drove through a glass wall of the dealership before officers arrived. It is claimed he didn't obey orders to surrender.

And yes, the teen was black...and unarmed.

article

Wintry Dragon

Was that guy planning to give the cars to the homeless? Why was he doing that?
How come the rookie didn't follow his partner's lead and whip out his taser? The old roster listed him as not particularly large (but probably solid). Did he grow bigger that he was, therefore, physically imposing? Too many questions.

Definitely, messy and extremely unfortunate. sad

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
A mali
How come the rookie didn't follow his partner's lead and whip out his taser? The old roster listed him as not particularly large (but probably solid). Did he grow bigger that he was, therefore, physically imposing? Too many questions.

Tasers, in RARE circumstances, don't work on some people. This might have been the case. In which case, the one taser, one gun seemed appropriate just in case the taser failed. I honestly hoped that's what happened. Otherwise, it sounds like it might have been a test for the rookie, like "you make the arrest and I'll be your backup" and the rookie got trigger happy. Or the guy legit attacked the officer and had to be shot. But I'm REALLY wanting to lean on the taser wasn't effective and the officer was forced to shoot.

Because, quite frankly, this is BAD press on the anniversary of Mike Brown and the Ferguson protests.

Fashionable Reveler

14,000 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Hellraiser 500
While I don't think what the rookie did was in anyway right, I really want to know why was the kid vandalizing cars in the first place?

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Verata Starline
While I don't think what the rookie did was in anyway right, I really want to know why was the kid vandalizing cars in the first place?

In before "Oh he was such an innocent boy he'd never do anything bad" comments, either here or in the news.

Wintry Dragon

Kaiser Khorosho
A mali

Tasers, in RARE circumstances, don't work on some people. This might have been the case. In which case, the one taser, one gun seemed appropriate just in case the taser failed. I honestly hoped that's what happened. Otherwise, it sounds like it might have been a test for the rookie, like "you make the arrest and I'll be your backup" and the rookie got trigger happy. Or the guy legit attacked the officer and had to be shot. But I'm REALLY wanting to lean on the taser wasn't effective and the officer was forced to shoot.

Because, quite frankly, this is BAD press on the anniversary of Mike Brown and the Ferguson protests.
I hope so too. The article was not clear with any of the actual sequence leaving me feeling that the taser was the icing to the bullet cake he was served.
Alexander J Luthor
Silvia Crow
Verata Starline

In before "Oh he was such an innocent boy he'd never do anything bad" comments, either here or in the news.

Mind if I join your camp? Just reading the title I saw "football player" and immediately knew someone was probably being an arrogant little s**t.

Side question: Why does being Black and unarmed suddenly mean an officer should risk their safety to stop crime? Just saying, I'd be much more liberal with a non-lethal weapon like a baseball bat or something.

Because whites are treated differently by the police. Don't believe me? I have three older white brothers who did much worse than what that kid was doing, and each and every time, they simply arrested them and called my mom to pick them up from jail. I am not excusing what this guy did, but I have no doubt had he been white, he probably would not have been shot.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Alexander J Luthor
Silvia Crow
Verata Starline

Mind if I join your camp? Just reading the title I saw "football player" and immediately knew someone was probably being an arrogant little s**t.

Side question: Why does being Black and unarmed suddenly mean an officer should risk their safety to stop crime? Just saying, I'd be much more liberal with a non-lethal weapon like a baseball bat or something.

Sure =D *Rolls up another log to the fire*

And it's a football player in TEXAS, so doubly bad.

Virtuous Cleric

3,675 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
as usual...certain people doing things and when they get bit by the consequences no matter how severe they cry foul

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
The Peppermint Bunny
Alexander J Luthor
Silvia Crow
Verata Starline

Because whites are treated differently by the police. Don't believe me? I have three older white brothers who did much worse than what that kid was doing, and each and every time, they simply arrested them and called my mom to pick them up from jail. I am not excusing what this guy did, but I have no doubt had he been white, he probably would not have been shot.

And yet recently a white person was shot by police - annd there are plenty of white people who are beaten and thrown around. It's just that most of these instances are not seen on the news.

This guy was doing a lot of damage to property NOT HIS. He was committing a crime. I do not feel sorry for him. But I do feel sorry for his family.

Playful Guildswoman

Kaiser Khorosho
A rookie officer shot a 19 year old college football player who was vandalizing vehicles at a car dealership. Security called police after the teen tried to stomp on windshields in the parking lot. The rookie officer had his pistol drawn and the veteran officer had his taser drawn. The teen was shot 4 times after he allegedly drove through a glass wall of the dealership before officers arrived. It is claimed he didn't obey orders to surrender.

And yes, the teen was black...and unarmed.

article

If the report is correct, he was probably on drugs. That includes steroids, which are used to bulk up and can cause behavior issues. And yes, a taser would have been a far better choice than a gun.
Nyadriel
The Peppermint Bunny
Alexander J Luthor
Silvia Crow
Verata Starline

And yet recently a white person was shot by police - annd there are plenty of white people who are beaten and thrown around. It's just that most of these instances are not seen on the news.

This guy was doing a lot of damage to property NOT HIS. He was committing a crime. I do not feel sorry for him. But I do feel sorry for his family.

Not saying it doesn't happen to white people, just saying as someone of color who is viewed differently by authorities and has been racially profiled while my brothers were seen as "just kids" thay a white person is treated differently a lot of the time in these cases. C

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff