Welcome to Gaia! ::

As the title of the thread indicates, I'm curious whether or not Tai Chi has any actual value or if it's nothing more than mystical nonsense.

I recently got into kendo and the establishment where I take classes also offers Tai Chi. I decided to watch a few videos on Tai Chi and noticed the instructors in the videos would always bring up "energy" and how supposedly beneficial Tai Chi is to mental health.

Obviously Tai Chi isn't intended for combat purposes, but is there any benefit to Tai Chi beyond it being just a fancy way to stretch the muscles? Thanks.
Brian Kush Flowerchild
Consider it a type of meditation. Then apply whatever your feelings are towards meditation towards Tai-Chi.

So it's just meditating while stretching?

charlz's Husband

Lonely Loiterer

11,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Loiterer 100
it's not gonna let you kick anyone's butt...
But any stretching is good exercise for people who don't exercise.
There are different types of Tai Chi. The class I take really emphasizes self-defense and we do get a good work out, but we also do a lot of breathing and form stuff. I find the breathing and form to be quite relaxing personally.

Newbie Noob

AoiLune
Obviously Tai Chi isn't intended for combat purposes, but is there any benefit to Tai Chi beyond it being just a fancy way to stretch the muscles? Thanks.
Tai Chi, traditionally, is intended for self-defense. It is not as effective as western boxing, or even many other martial arts, but it can be used for self-defense. The advantage of Tai Chi as a martial art is that other traditional martial arts, people get injured quiet often, but usually people studying Tai Chi don't. (You're 4 times as likely to get injured learning a martial art than being in a real street fight)

The problem with Tai Chi, is that unlike many other martial arts, there's no body that forces you to teach Tai Chi a certain way. There are many people doing a lot of different things and calling it Tai Chi. Some people sexing it up. Changing it to suit old people. And some of these things are generational, like someone taking a Tai Chi style for old people and sexing it up. And they're all called Tai Chi.

I guarantee if you get a Tai Chi video, it's a dumbed down version of Tai Chi. Just some stuff someone felt comfortable teaching over a video.

So, if you are serious, you'll have to ask around and find someone teaching traditional Tai Chi in your area.

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
Lol don't tell any Tai Chi master that wink

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
I've been studying taichi for a while--its really amazing. Its very complex and after a few years I'm still barely at the basic level.

Yes--it is meditation and yes, it is a martial art (you're meant to take the moves and apply them to fighting though many classes attract senior citizens and never go to this level) --and yes its also stretching

you can copy the movements but if you don't know what you're supposed to be doing internally, its empty..

i'm having trouble explaining it..whether or not you believe in internal energy there are basic subtleties in how you move your own body that can make all the difference.

For example, i'm fairly small and weak and i have a friend who's heavy and coincidentally a black belt that I could never knock over. Through my taichi practice I learned how to position myself and focus different parts of my body and move in a different way and so that i could easily knock them backwards. --And its cool because anyone could do it. Taichi is not about using muscle--its about using your body as a complete unit.

i'll have my arm up one way, and my teacher can easily push it down--- then he'll show me a slight change in the position and all of a sudden its unmovable--
I SO VERY----- I
I've been studying taichi for a while--its really amazing. Its very complex and after a few years I'm still barely at the basic level.

Yes--it is meditation and yes, it is a martial art (you're meant to take the moves and apply them to fighting though many classes attract senior citizens and never go to this level) --and yes its also stretching

you can copy the movements but if you don't know what you're supposed to be doing internally, its empty..

i'm having trouble explaining it..whether or not you believe in internal energy there are basic subtleties in how you move your own body that can make all the difference.

For example, i'm fairly small and weak and i have a friend who's heavy and coincidentally a black belt that I could never knock over. Through my taichi practice I learned how to position myself and focus different parts of my body and move in a different way and so that i could easily knock them backwards. --And its cool because anyone could do it. Taichi is not about using muscle--its about using your body as a complete unit.

i'll have my arm up one way, and my teacher can easily push it down--- then he'll show me a slight change in the position and all of a sudden its unmovable--

That's all just a matter of weight distribution, not "internal energy".
If you're saying Tai Chi is just meditation, stretching, and learning about the advantages of weight distribution, all wrapped up in the convenient excuse that is mysticism, then I think I'll save my money.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
AoiLune
I SO VERY----- I

If you're saying Tai Chi is just meditation, stretching, and learning about the advantages of weight distribution, all wrapped up in the convenient excuse that is mysticism, then I think I'll save my money.
its not weight distribution. I weigh 105lbs, my friend weighs 196lbs. No amount of weight distribution could fix that difference.

The difference is often in focusing the index finger. I was saying on a basic level because many people don't believe in internal energy. When you sync up your whole body in the proper position the energy can circulate and you don't need weight or muscles.

i mean, my teacher can block punches with his index finger only-- and no, he doesn't have a massive muscle finger-- its his chi.

its not my job to convince you but if you're interested you might try it out. It really depends on the teacher of the class though because honestly, many taichi classes are taught as stretching classes for old people at the ymc or something..

Sparkly Bear

anything can be bullshit depending on what kind of mental attitude you approach it with.
science can be bullshit if you choose to be narrowminded about it, so can religion, politics, spirituality, or maybe even a book on how to make origami 101.

a lot of the effectiveness of any activity is that one has an open mindset and a willingness to see how these things work and follow through.

tai chi ain't for everyone, and some may feel no beneficial effects other than some physical calmness, but others feel more and it's much easier on the mind to accept it rather than deny it.

(also it costs like zero cents to learn a couple intro exercises on youtube, you wouldn't be wasting any money haha)
I SO VERY----- I
AoiLune
I SO VERY----- I

its not weight distribution. I weigh 105lbs, my friend weighs 196lbs. No amount of weight distribution could fix that difference.

The difference is often in focusing the index finger. I was saying on a basic level because many people don't believe in internal energy. When you sync up your whole body in the proper position the energy can circulate and you don't need weight or muscles.

i mean, my teacher can block punches with his index finger only-- and no, he doesn't have a massive muscle finger-- its his chi.

its not my job to convince you but if you're interested you might try it out. It really depends on the teacher of the class though because honestly, many taichi classes are taught as stretching classes for old people at the ymc or something..

There's a difference between weight and weight distribution, and no, 91lbs isn't so drastic of a difference that it negates the laws of physics.
Also, you might want to look up what the actual, scientific definition of the word "energy" means. The type of energy you're talking about does not exist.
Chi does not exist. Chi is an antiquated concept created by people living in a pre-scientific era. There's absolutely no credible evidence that chi is an actual thing.
Try reading about chi sometime and you'll find out that it entirely stems from a misconception of natural phenomena that ancient Chinese people couldn't have accurately rationalized in their time.
Bippy crying
anything can be bullshit depending on what kind of mental attitude you approach it with.
science can be bullshit if you choose to be narrowminded about it, so can religion, politics, spirituality, or maybe even a book on how to make origami 101.

a lot of the effectiveness of any activity is that one has an open mindset and a willingness to see how these things work and follow through.

tai chi ain't for everyone, and some may feel no beneficial effects other than some physical calmness, but others feel more and it's much easier on the mind to accept it rather than deny it.

(also it costs like zero cents to learn a couple intro exercises on youtube, you wouldn't be wasting any money haha)

When I say it's "bullshit", I don't mean that it's stupid or unfavorable. I refer to things as "bullshit" if they lack any credibility or validity. Therefore, no, science cannot be bullshit.

I also disagree with that statement that an open mind is all it takes to make something effective. Plenty of open-minded people who put their unwavering passion and drive toward alternate forms of healing have ended up dying in the process because they didn't seek out ACTUAL medical assistance.

If all Tai Chi offers is a happy feeling just by the act of accepting it's existence, then I have no reason to waste time with it. It's pseudoscience.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
AoiLune
I SO VERY----- I
AoiLune
I SO VERY----- I

There's a difference between weight and weight distribution, and no, 91lbs isn't so drastic of a difference that it negates the laws of physics.
Also, you might want to look up what the actual, scientific definition of the word "energy" means. The type of energy you're talking about does not exist.
Chi does not exist. Chi is an antiquated concept created by people living in a pre-scientific era. There's absolutely no credible evidence that chi is an actual thing.
Try reading about chi sometime and you'll find out that it entirely stems from a misconception of natural phenomena that ancient Chinese people couldn't have accurately rationalized in their time.
Did you make this thread to argue with people? Seems like you already had your mind made up anyway. I'm not interested in a debate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff