Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is is just me or do a lot of authors out there tend to be a little discouraging to aspiring authors? I don't know if they mean to or not, but I've seen several talk so negatively about writing. I know it's not the most glamorous or successful profession, but if someone really wants to pursue writing you shouldn't try to scare them off.

I saw this conversation on twitter this morning which is what made me want to say something. This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. https://twitter.com/veschwab/status/627697091708456960

Edit: I know not all authors are like this and I'm also aware that they may just be trying to tell people that writing isn't easy and you shouldn't go in thinking it is. I just think there are better ways of saying that.

Questionable Prophet

I don't think it's necessarily discouragement.
I mean, all these people say they love it.
Like, it's this all consuming thing that you both hate and love.
It's also just being humorous.
Don't be so serious.

Star Spotter

In my opinion, I don't believe that the author is trying to be discouraging so much as ... well...
        complaining. They may also be trying to help.. in their own sort of way.

In some ways many authors wish that they knew how intensive certain aspects of writing could be
        before they became passionate about a project. It might also help spread awareness
        ..sort of... about how many authors have a difficult time and that it is a stressful job. So
        essentially they want you to know what you're getting yourself in to. If you're ok with it, great!
        Join their tear boat or whatever. Also, if you're already an aspiring author and you feel like
        s**t most of the time; now a professional is telling you that its ok, it comes with the job.

Edit: I'm sure there are better ways to say it, and being authors you'd think that they would be
        .. well.. more eloquent. But I think these things are said in a relaxed tone. Again with the 'humor' etc.

Most of my mentors in my career field as well as in writing exemplify that sort of personality.

It seems odd, but its their way of caring?

That's my opinion anyway.
I think some authors mean it as a joke. Other authors I don't think are trying to dissuade people from writing, but instead asking them to look at the profession realistically.

Becoming an author is difficult. There's a lot of emotional strain that comes with that, at least for some. The publishing industry is so hard to push through. Rejection happens all the time. They don't want aspiring authors to come in and think that writing is going to be easy money. It's not. And when advice like that comes out, they want aspiring authors to understand the struggle, not by pass it and think it's going to be a cake-walk.

They're not trying to be mean. They're not saying people shouldn't become authors. They're saying that it's difficult and people should come in with that expectation in mind.
oh god, how horrible.

I hate people like that.
I see what you're all saying. The particular link I posted is most likely the author joking. I probably just scare easily which is a good thing I'm not trying to become a published author at least for now anyway.

Nuclear Werewolf

Definitely joking / humorous, for that link. Insanity is one of those things that people tend to associate with the job, so that tweet was playing with that. Same for becoming consumed by it.

As far as people actively discouraging writers? They're assholes. Unless it's the case where they're actually trying to be realistic and give the ol' "Don't quit your day job" advice, which, by the way, is always sound. Not everyone is cut out to be a published author (unless you find a really, really good editor I guess) but no one has any right to stop you from writing just for your own self.
I don't think that they're being mean, or horrible or anything like that. Those writers who are trying to discourage people from following are actually being kind, although it might not look like it from the outside.

How can I put this without understating..?

Ah.

To get a book, you need to write, and write, and write and write and carry on writing for as long as it takes. A year can go by without anything meaningful happening, a decade, even, and if you're lucky you don't get discouraged. Everest is a microscopic bump on your writing desk compared to that first novel.

And then at the end of all of that effort... you might get something that no-one wants anyway. But it's your baby! You spent so much time and effort and cried tears of blood to get it all out. And you spend even more time trying to get it published, finding brick walls in the way of progress everywhere you look. And if you're lucky, it manages some mediocre sales when you do get it out.

If you're lucky enough to win the lottery, it does brilliantly and makes you just enough money to live off for a few months.

So, the best way to find out the writers who actually have the hardiness to go through all of that is to try your best to discourage them. If they give up at that very first hurdle, it's likely that they wouldn't have lasted the distance, and should do something else with their time.

It doesn't stop any lingering regret they might feel, but at least you've spared them some hassle.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
The thing is, it is hard to be a writer. And I dont really blame those who do feel discouraged about their writing - I know Ive been there. We drain ourselves into our story and when we do try to publish, most wont even bother to read it to give us feedback. Many famous authors of today went to hell & back before they finally got published/noticed. It isnt a very successful profession and many great writers go unnoticed everyday.
That being said, you shouldnt ever give up. Keep writing & pouring your soul, even if no one will noticed because you should do it for you and not for others. I am at fault for this too, I discourage myself often and become frustrated. But I keep trying to improve and I do it for me.

Illuminated Vampire

gaia_angelleft Some people have to write, and no matter what happens, or if they're going to be published or not, they will continue writing. Very few things, or people, will convince them otherwise. It's part of who they are. But some people do see writing as an easy thing, and that splash of cold water is rather necessary. There wasn't anything arrogant about it, telling people they're not good enough. That would be a jerk move. No, it's a warning. A humorous warning, but a warning nonetheless.

And there's nothing wrong with being serious; you just have to know when others are not being serious.
gaia_angelright
Ghoulee

Little Dead Soldier
The thing is, it is hard to be a writer. And I dont really blame those who do feel discouraged about their writing - I know Ive been there. We drain ourselves into our story and when we do try to publish, most wont even bother to read it to give us feedback. Many famous authors of today went to hell & back before they finally got published/noticed. It isnt a very successful profession and many great writers go unnoticed everyday.
That being said, you shouldnt ever give up. Keep writing & pouring your soul, even if no one will noticed because you should do it for you and not for others. I am at fault for this too, I discourage myself often and become frustrated. But I keep trying to improve and I do it for me.

To be honest, I know the difference between someone trying to help you and complaining.

Do you want to know one of the worst people to ask to critique something? One of the most dangerous?

Other writers.

Now before you go, "Wha?!"

Think. Who is the most likely to be overly critical? Who is the most likely not to read what you said, but instead focus on how you said it? Who is the most likely to hold back a compliment and be the first to say what you did wrong? Writers.

It's a unique problem, other writers are the ones you probably need help from the most. A combination of personal experience taught there are a lot of different types of reviews, reviewers and critiques. And always the most critical are writers. There's reasons for this.

1) A writer can and should be the most critical.

If a 'normal' person read your story, they wouldn't be able to point out mistakes. They tell you how much they liked it and how it felt for them. They guess character related things and they're typically a LOT more fun to talk to. They can't tell you what you did write or wrong (pun intended). Other writers are not concerned with your story. Let me be clear. They rarely talk about story or the characters, what they are interested is the medium by which you present your story. Which is to say your writing. They will point out flaws that stood out to them.

2) Writers have their own works.

They have s**t to do. I have s**t to do. We all have s**t to do! That said there's a lot of reviews that are half hearted or downright useless. I've given quite a few of them myself when I was tired, just got off of work and came home perfectly ready to complain at the first person I see. It's really REALLY hard to give someone compliments if they share in your trade. But you must give credit where due. I've read a LOT of reviews. And I've read some bad ones from some really good writers. (I'm not just talking about my stuff.) When a writer was at their meanest, usually it's a work similar to theirs. Or a subject they are most passionate about. It's the hardest to give a compliment when it comes to that or to give false ones. If you give compliments try to be real when you do. Which brings me to my next point.

3) Writers are often petty

Myself included. They can take really good works and only say what was wrong. Hell sometimes they ARE wrong when they're ripping into someone elses work just as an attempt to appear smarter. It takes about 1 fifth the talent to find a mistake than to make it yourself. But they LOVE to point out mistakes, especially when somethings good. "You used too many run on sentences."
"This part here? This isn't a sentence." And they do that to some really good stuff. (Not talking about my works either. They're just being dickholes.)

Silence.

More silence.

A raising of the eyebrow.

Be thankful that I cannot reach through my own computer and slam your head into your keyboard. That's not even trying to be helpful and even they know it.

Also I've known writers to compliment you... but it sounds like they're talking down to you the entire time. Fun fact: that's not a compliment. They're talking down to you. Usually this comes after a critique and they don't actually leave critique mode. It's like they feed you a compliment, but we all know all they really wanted to do today is slam something.

If you run into those people? Cut them off. I mean it. They're not sincere and they're certainly not actually going to help you. It kinda blows my mind that someone will read a work just to insult it. No really. They read the WHOLE THING. Then they insult people. Instead of just well... you know... not read it. They had to go the extra mile just to be an a*****e.

These people are not showing you errors to help you. They're showing you errors because they think you're s**t and they like people knowing they're s**t.

Cut those people off. You could go the rest of your life without hearing from these people again. They live to discourage and they've all got a fanfic account.

4) Writers have different concerns and are the first to be distracted by the writing instead of a message.

let's say four instance you read a work that had a bunch of 'errers'. I mean a bunch of thum. Think of a tiepo or too. Now imageine that what your reading is Full of tiepos. A writor is the most likely to not be able to make it to the end of the sentence.

It doesn't matter of the rest of the message is good. Their mind will go back to the original problem. Even if the rest of the story is good, that one part that bothered them can and WILL stand out. Usually blurring together with the whole story or the whole chapter. You could talk about something good or have a moment of gold or silver. Only they won't see it. They're going to see the rusted iron at the beginning.

5) Writers want to promote their own works.

Yes! I'll admit it! I'm probably inadvertently doing this too! But if I leave you a review, I'm happy to say I'll actually try to help you. Point out your strengths and weaknesses if I really have to. Now this of course depends on how much I know you or how much time I put into what I read.

This also depends on how much I like your subject.

Some promote their own works by slamming yours. They do that. (Typically they only do this in a public setting. If you're in a private setting... chances are there's actually something wrong.)

Also there's the issue of finding the right guy for the right literary work.

Like... if you send me a poem. I'm going to start zoning out. No really. I'll zone the hell out.

Once upon a twilight morning.
Twice upon the midnight sun.
Thrice into the neverending.
Fourth into the poem line is.... where I check the hell out mentally and at this point it doesn't really matter what you were writing you've picked the wrong guy and my review wouldn't really matter to you.

XX xx XX

All this said and done?

Writers can be dicks, but they can also be helpful. Some of them are trying to help you more than others. Some of them aren't here to help you. Know the difference and do yourself a favor. The most typical problem is finding someone, ANYONE! To read your stuff when you start out.

(I had that problem for years. Lrn2network/ be helpful/ ggkthnxbai)

Still it's FAR better for you to remove people who downright discourage you. It doesn't matter if they meant to help you or they meant to kill your story. They bring you down. Yes! You MUST be able to take criticism. In fact if I leave a review there's a 6/10 chance I'm going to regret doing a review for this person.

Telling people ways to improve their stories is the fastest way to insult someone. Forget religion and politics, if you make fun of someone's writing, they will HATE HATE HATE you.

So when reviewing... tread very very lightly. I try to focus on the good rather than the bad. Or not read it so I never have the responsibility of telling them. Which btw... is an option.

If you hate reading something, well... don't read it. Silence is one of the least pleasant forms of review, but the earliest teacher.

If you can get some non writer friends to read something. Or non writer... well... anybody. This is sometimes the very best people to review your stuff because they're strictly interested (or not interested) in what happens.

Fortunately I feel like I haven't felt like I've lost that aspect of myself. I try to tell you what I liked and didn't instead of 'how to fix'. Because sometimes a 'how to fix' sounds a lot like, "Just give up."

Dedicated Fatcat

A lot of people here have already said that this Tweet was in jest, which I agree with. But I do agree with remourleia in that it's not really the best look to come off as disliking your profession.

Writing, in any form or length, is quite emotionally exhausting and waiting for people to get back to you with feedback ect. is even more exhausting, but I don't think I would ever tell someone to "run" from something they're going to be passionate about.

I think my reaction would be, "Yes. Do it. I want to see you do it too."

There's this persona of the "prickly" author and I think a lot of people assume a lot of authors are just so. It seems that authors are either extremely reclusive and negative or perky as sunshine. Even that sounds exhausting! gonk

Excitable Attacker

Ghoulee
Is is just me or do a lot of authors out there tend to be a little discouraging to aspiring authors? I don't know if they mean to or not, but I've seen several talk so negatively about writing. I know it's not the most glamorous or successful profession, but if someone really wants to pursue writing you shouldn't try to scare them off.

I saw this conversation on twitter this morning which is what made me want to say something. This isn't the first time I've seen something like this. https://twitter.com/veschwab/status/627697091708456960

Edit: I know not all authors are like this and I'm also aware that they may just be trying to tell people that writing isn't easy and you shouldn't go in thinking it is. I just think there are better ways of saying that.
I'd imagine there's a reason why a lot of authors in stories avoid their editors. The editors are naggy, the printers are naggy, everyone is naggy and panicking about if you're not going to be able to finish the story by whatever deadlines if you start falling behind. And then writer's block. That's a b***h. Now, publishing your own stuff on your own schedule is one thing. But once a major publisher gets their hands on you with a contract... yeah.

Gregapeg's Wife

Spicy Sweetheart

Snark and self-depreciating humor is the life-blood of writing.

I tend to think of it as a survival technique. Acknowledging the cons but being able to laugh about them while still respecting their nature is the writer's backbone.

Super Pal

I agree with a lot of the posts here - that the tweet is a joke (I remember originally reading it on tumblr, like, last year?) and that she's clearly stating that writing is hard, which it is.

But what this topic really made me think about is - that if someone's tweet can discourage you from writing or you need constant positive reinforcement to write, then maybe you're not cut out to be a writer, idk?
Like, no matter what you do people always make playful jabs, so chill, baby.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff