Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pesky Friend

9,050 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm going into my senior year this month and honestly i'm feeling anxious over my applications and the SAT. Are there any tips for my senior year that I should know about? ? q w q
Thank you for reading.
The SAT is no big deal. It's just a bummer cuz it's long. If you're good at school, you'll do just fine on it. If you're not so good at school, study up and you'll be fine. Could even look into a tutor if you're that bothered. Plus you can always retake it.

As for applications, just have one you'll definitely make it into in case you don't make your top choice.

Invisible Informer

6,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
I am going into my senior year as well, so you can trust me when I say that I know what you're feeling.

The SAT really is not a big deal. When I took my first one, it was with not nearly as much preparation that I needed, especially for the math section (which I tanked, expectedly). But the first time isn't supposed to be the best time, or the only time that you take the test, depending on what colleges you want to get into and all that.

Just focus on doing your best. Know your boundaries. Don't let yourself slip because of doubt or fear. Meet those feelings, and express them, but don't let them consume you. This is your last year and you didn't come this far for nothing.

For me it is a little different, because I'm in Running Start, so I'll be graduating with my AA degree if everything goes correctly. It's honestly the most stressful thing, despite its many rewards. I am in constant fear of not getting enough credits to qualify, wondering how I'm going to graduate twice and what my GPA is going to look like. But what helps me hold all my feelings in place is knowing that I'll have an education. I'll have a next step to look forward to when this is all said and done. And so will you.

Even if you don't get the grades you want, or the test scores you want, in the end it won't matter more than your accomplishments and the fact that you have succeeded.

Good luck!

O.G. Gaian

withacupoftea
Are there any tips for my senior year that I should know about?

Just relax. One of my friends all through school and well beyond always got better grades than I did, but she got so worked up over tests that she'd completely bomb them. In adulthood, that translated to graduating law school with high marks, then sitting the bar exam twelve times before giving up.

I took the SAT and ACT early in the year, primarily because I knew I wanted to be able to re-take them. There was so much pressure about getting good scores, and by senior year I was so damned done with studying, I didn't expect anything from my first go-round other than getting acclimated to the process. The night before each of them, I stayed up chatting online for awhile and eventually dropped off to sleep, hit snooze a couple times in the morning and just made it in time (for the ACT, it was so close, if any of the green lights had been red on my way I'd have missed it). When my SAT scores came, I made sure to remind myself it wasn't my real score, I'd just gone for practice. Then I opened the envelope, laughed, and decided I had AP tests to worry about instead (and, honestly, those were actually tougher and ultimately more important).

I know there's tons of emphasis placed on test scores in school now, more so even than when I was going. You probably take more compulsory standardized tests in one year than I took in my entire high school career (most of the ones I took were voluntary, either advanced placement tests or golden state exams). Which means that a test is a test. You've got the drill down, don't lose sleep over it.

Hygienic Member

i live in canada and we dont have sats but we do have the provincial math/english exam which i guess? is kind of lik the sats but not really. but if you just study youll do fine those big exam things are generally not even that hard.

i would mostly focus your last year of hs on having fun and doing your best

Invisible Werewolf

9,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
withacupoftea
I'm going into my senior year this month and honestly i'm feeling anxious over my applications and the SAT. Are there any tips for my senior year that I should know about? ? q w q
Thank you for reading.

Senior year is the best (minus testing) and they make it sound waaay harder than it actually is. As far as the SAT study a little every week and that will help lower your anxiety and raise your scores! Applications aren't that bad. Don't waste time on applying to places you're not going to go to for sure. I waited for free applications to be available and didn't spend a single dollar on applying it was wonderful!

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
I hope you don't go to a school that was like mine, that stressed and pressured kids in to applying for colleges and doing well in school. Senior year was complete garbage to me. I'm just glad it's way over now.

Don't worry about applying to colleges right away. Every week at my school, the teachers would remind students of November application deadlines, and December deadlines. And everything was so focused on college that it felt like I couldn't even focus on the current school. I only applied to one college senior year and that was at the end of February. (good thing I got accepted or else I wouldn't be going). I didn't have to do SAT only ACT and that was junior year. Also keep in mind that unless it's ivy leauge or a big 10 school, the college you go to doesn't really mean s**t.

"High school is just a huge audition for college."

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Just chiiiiill. Study your classes, get the SAT practice book, and you'll do fine.

I graduated 5 years ago, and my SAT and ACT scores haven't been important, honestly. sweatdrop

But it also depends on what college you apply to.
User Image

User Image
I didn't take the SAT or ACT. after 5 years of college I graduated Sigma c** Laude.

I went to a community college after high school, and you don't need ACT or SAT scores. Then once I transferred to a University I knew my SAT/ACT scores wouldn't matter, even if I took either of those tests.

I learned from my sister. SUPER AWESOME SCORES on her SAT or ACT and she went to a community college and the university she went to after a couple years was like "ok. cool. nice SAT/ACT scores, but we didn't need that. KTHXBAI"

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
SAT is bullshit unless you want to try for extra scholarships you probably won't get

Give me some background
Are mommy and daddy going to pay everything for you while you do school?
Congrats! Let the seniorities take over and bullshit your way through the last year.
Clearly you are incapable of planning ahead. Woohoo!

Dedicated Hobo

I was in Canada for my senior year, but I found that most of my stress was from teachers overreacting about how important it is to pick a college/university and a major right now, which I ended up not doing. I don't really know how SAT works, but high school in general hasn't helped me with my secondary education. I'm getting scholarships now because of what I've done in college. So I guess just relax and enjoy this last year of bullshit.

Widow

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
ENJOY IT! Enjoy every second you can! Tests can be re-taken, memories can't.

Benevolent Phantom

11,150 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Canny Agent 50
  • Mark Twain 100
best advice: drop out and take a GED test. trust me, you can pass that with a 10th grade education. I did.

Greedy Capitalist

I'm starting my senior year next month, too.
Honestly? I'm planning on getting all of my college paperwork taken care of as early in the school year as possible(september, october), so that I won't be swamped with it later in the year.
I took the SAT 2 months ago and scored a 1650. If you're not a dumbass and can read/do basic middle school math/take in information and process it, then you'll be okay on it.
I'm just glad that this is the last year; I'm at my wit's end.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff