Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rich Anubutt

I'm getting my first job soon, so I think what I want to buy first is the upgrade from Manga Studio Debut 4. I got that version with my Wacom tablet a few years back. What do you guys think of 5?

Rating?
:star:
:star::star:
:star::star::star:
:star::star::star::star:
:star::star::star::star::star:

Comments? :kittenstar:

Concerns?:kittenstar:

Other Art Program Recommendations? (Besides SAI cause I only have a MAC)

gaia_spoons Also, I saw that the same company has released an Anime Studio too, so if you've ever used it, is that any good?

gaia_spoons I'm also looking into a new tablet sometime down the road, any recommendations?

Distinct Prophet

I never had 4, but I believe that I've heard people say 5 is a big change from it, so it might be like learning a new program again. However, I love it! 5 stars! Maybe 4.5! The standard version comes with the perspective ruler, which is amazing.

They also make Clip Studio Paint which is exactly the same as manga studio just marketed under a different name for people interested in paint programs instead of comics. Keep an eye on both, they often go on sale on the main site or on amazon.
Yeah, 5 is actually quite a different experience from 4. I like it better, its UI feels a lot more streamlined, but you'll definitely get lost finding some of the tools you were using before at first.

I absolutely love MS5 though, and use it very religiously.

Celestial Dog

IMO it's a great program. I got it when it was on sale (it goes on sale super frequently for pretty cheap. like. $15 cheap.)

The only other thing remotely similar to SAI that's mac-friendly is FireAlpaca. Which is... ok. At best.
It's not terrible, but it's just... ok.

Thieving Rogue

I gor MS5/Clip studio recently! I like it a lot, but I got it with the express purpose of only using it (originally) for framing some comics and using the perspective ruler when I got stuck.

Its a bit to get used to but theres probably tons of tutorials on youtube (im not rushed and like fumbling into learning stuff myself so I haven't been too pressed to look- though I have used some tutorials on here during NPCon by Aoizulla, since they use the same program- and those tutorials are on youtube too though they are more focused on drawing than on navigating sai but you can pick up some stuff anyway)

If you aren't too too sure, wait a while on it, they have really great sales honestly. I was impatient and bought the digital version full price (~ $60 CDN with tax and all) and don't regret it at all tbh. Well worth that amount I think

But I know about a month ago now they had a 4 day sale for the digital copy for just $15 USD. smithmicro (the company that makes manga studio/clip studio) has a twitter that posts that info too, so if you can wait for a bit and follow that you can always wait for a sale?

im not super good at using computer art programs in the first place, but now that I am getting used to it, I love it honestly. I used to use PS when they had the more lenient free trial thing, and it crashed a lot, clashed with my tablet, but I havent had those issues with MS5 yet aside from one freezing incident when I had about 8 files open and was general overloading my PC- but it recovered and nothing was lost. honestly i have it up on a like 6+yr old PC while running online games and youtube and itunes all at once and havent had issues

As for tablet reccomendations: Genius tablets can be pretty cheap price wise and decent working- my first tablet was a Genius and was only about $50 for a 6x8 MousePen inch size. That was also ~7 years ago now? It lasted for a LONG TIME though, and I mistreated the crap out of it (v immature&irresponsible highschooler). So the price point might be a bit different- and if you can get it in a store thats all the better- though I dont think I've seen that brand at Best Buy ever so you might have to search around.

Now I've got a wacom INTUOS Creative Pen Tablet, the small size, which was about $112 CDN, and I bought it a few months ago as well. Its nice, I really like it. I bought it from a Best Buy, because shipping for it was too much for me

I like the Wacom a bit more for the pen- has replacement nibs, no weird plastic flap, easier button mapping, and the pen isnt reliant on its own battery- and if i feel like it they have a wireless adapter you can buy. The power cord also detaches for easier storage- which is a huge plus because thats how my Genius one died

The Genius was larger, and had a curve to the edges so it felt less awkward when nearing the edge of the side of whatever hand I was drawing with, but it had a LOT of button mapping options that I found were confusing (and heard were spotty on working correctly)

I've had some issues with preferences resetting with both tablets and their respective software, but a google search makes fixing that pretty easy- or just manually resetting them too.

Online reviews and doing what you're doing here and asking people are honestly the best thing to do, its a lot of personal preference and just being aware of the issues each one poses.

Sorry if I got a bit wordy here! I hope it helps and you find something that works for you! And if anything didnt make sense or you have a more specific question I can try my best to answer it
AquariTerrible
I gor MS5/Clip studio recently! I like it a lot, but I got it with the express purpose of only using it (originally) for framing some comics and using the perspective ruler when I got stuck.

Its a bit to get used to but theres probably tons of tutorials on youtube (im not rushed and like fumbling into learning stuff myself so I haven't been too pressed to look- though I have used some tutorials on here during NPCon by Aoizulla, since they use the same program- and those tutorials are on youtube too though they are more focused on drawing than on navigating sai but you can pick up some stuff anyway)

If you aren't too too sure, wait a while on it, they have really great sales honestly. I was impatient and bought the digital version full price (~ $60 CDN with tax and all) and don't regret it at all tbh. Well worth that amount I think

But I know about a month ago now they had a 4 day sale for the digital copy for just $15 USD. smithmicro (the company that makes manga studio/clip studio) has a twitter that posts that info too, so if you can wait for a bit and follow that you can always wait for a sale?

im not super good at using computer art programs in the first place, but now that I am getting used to it, I love it honestly. I used to use PS when they had the more lenient free trial thing, and it crashed a lot, clashed with my tablet, but I havent had those issues with MS5 yet aside from one freezing incident when I had about 8 files open and was general overloading my PC- but it recovered and nothing was lost. honestly i have it up on a like 6+yr old PC while running online games and youtube and itunes all at once and havent had issues

As for tablet reccomendations: Genius tablets can be pretty cheap price wise and decent working- my first tablet was a Genius and was only about $50 for a 6x8 MousePen inch size. That was also ~7 years ago now? It lasted for a LONG TIME though, and I mistreated the crap out of it (v immature&irresponsible highschooler). So the price point might be a bit different- and if you can get it in a store thats all the better- though I dont think I've seen that brand at Best Buy ever so you might have to search around.

Now I've got a wacom INTUOS Creative Pen Tablet, the small size, which was about $112 CDN, and I bought it a few months ago as well. Its nice, I really like it. I bought it from a Best Buy, because shipping for it was too much for me

I like the Wacom a bit more for the pen- has replacement nibs, no weird plastic flap, easier button mapping, and the pen isnt reliant on its own battery- and if i feel like it they have a wireless adapter you can buy. The power cord also detaches for easier storage- which is a huge plus because thats how my Genius one died

The Genius was larger, and had a curve to the edges so it felt less awkward when nearing the edge of the side of whatever hand I was drawing with, but it had a LOT of button mapping options that I found were confusing (and heard were spotty on working correctly)

I've had some issues with preferences resetting with both tablets and their respective software, but a google search makes fixing that pretty easy- or just manually resetting them too.

Online reviews and doing what you're doing here and asking people are honestly the best thing to do, its a lot of personal preference and just being aware of the issues each one poses.

Sorry if I got a bit wordy here! I hope it helps and you find something that works for you! And if anything didnt make sense or you have a more specific question I can try my best to answer it

ty you beautiful person for answering all my questions before I even had to ask. You know how in school they're like "If you have a question, ask because someone else might have it, too"? You are proof of that. Good day. *leaves to buy intuos*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff