Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky Risk-Taker

Closed! thank you for all your advice, It went great.

yum_salmon yum_shrimp yum_tamago yum_tuna

I'm going to an unfamiliar sushi bar tomorrow for AYCE sushi with an experienced AYCE sushi friend. I have never done AYCES before, nor sat the actual bar area to eat sushi at my usual sushi place, and I don't want to offend the chefs or bite off more than I can chew (literally). Please help!

Questions
1) What is the tipping norm for AYCES in the bar area? Obviously you tip the server (I'm in the U.S). but do you also tip the chef like you tip bartenders? if so, how much?

2) Is it disrespectful to ask for no spicy mayo (or whatever mayo-based sauce is on the top of the rolls) or the sauce on the side? I hate mayo and all its variants and there are several rolls I would gladly devour if they didn't have *insert mayo-based sauce here* drizzled on top.

3) If we "just let the chef choose" is it disrespectful to say no octopus? I morally oppose eating cephalopods, even though they will become our new overlords if they can figure out how to live for more than a couple years. I would much prefer a Giant Pacific Octopus as Senator Majority Leader over Mitch McConnell anyway.

4) I've hear AYCES sticks in your stomach, are there any pre-sushi dietary rituals that can help with this?

Thank you and have a nice weekend smile

yum_salmon yum_shrimp yum_tamago yum_tuna

Space Pup

uhh, i can only confidently help with the fourth one;

most people don't eat all day before ayce but it can actually help grow your appetite
if you have a small snack an hour or two before !

other than that,,

1/ i live in Canada so it's like ?? with tips in the US. I suggest you ask your friend on
that one especially!

2/ 3/ i can't imagine asking for no mayo being a problem! the ayce bars i usually go
to actually have a menu; they don't just pop something in front of you to eat

so just avoid the ones with the mayo and octopus!

i really like going to ayce sushi so tell me how it goes! hopefully you have a great time! c:
How'd it go? xd

Lucky Risk-Taker

mw4h
How'd it go? xd

X_X the place I went to actually didn't have AYCE but sushi was amazing and they had a great lunch deal, miso soup, 1 CA roll and 5 nigiri for 10 bucks. CA roll was great and the nigiri? Best nigiri I've ever had. My friend got 2 gigantic rolls, both with lobster, for 11 bucks and he said it was the best sushi he'd ever had and he's lived up in San Franscisco, Land of AYCE Sushi, for the past several years. If you're in North County of San Diego, it's Encinitas Sushi Lounge.
adorabunnii
mw4h
How'd it go? xd

X_X the place I went to actually didn't have AYCE but sushi was amazing and they had a great lunch deal, miso soup, 1 CA roll and 5 nigiri for 10 bucks. CA roll was great and the nigiri? Best nigiri I've ever had. My friend got 2 gigantic rolls, both with lobster, for 11 bucks and he said it was the best sushi he'd ever had and he's lived up in San Franscisco, Land of AYCE Sushi, for the past several years. If you're in North County of San Diego, it's Encinitas Sushi Lounge.

Awesome lunch deal! I'm in Bay Area actually, don't really know of decent AYCE sushi places in this area, just have several sushi restaurants I like to go to. Bookmarked Encinitas for my next SD trip, thanks! whee

Shameless Gaian

1. Use standard tipping customs from whatever region you're living in. A sushi restaurant isn't really a mythical place that defies norms.

2. It's not disrespectful to express a preference per se, however, menu items are usually designed and prepared with a lot of thought. Substitutions, additions, and subtractions to the dish will deviate from the type of flavor the chef intended. This is true in ANY restaurant. It would be more appropriate to ask for recommendations that are similar to what you want, but don't have spicy mayo or [insert ingredient here]. The sushi chef might even just choose to make a similar variant without the spicy mayo anyway.

3. Just like #2, there's nothing really wrong with expressing a preference. Giving the sushi chef the wheel is great as long as you're not a back seat driver through the whole trip. While this does require having an open mind and stomach, expressing one or two preferences isn't going to start World War 3. The chef would prefer their customer to be satisfied within reason.

4. Rice is the stickiest thing.

Lucky Risk-Taker

neoretro
1. Use standard tipping customs from whatever region you're living in. A sushi restaurant isn't really a mythical place that defies norms.

2. It's not disrespectful to express a preference per se, however, menu items are usually designed and prepared with a lot of thought. Substitutions, additions, and subtractions to the dish will deviate from the type of flavor the chef intended. This is true in ANY restaurant. It would be more appropriate to ask for recommendations that are similar to what you want, but don't have spicy mayo or [insert ingredient here]. The sushi chef might even just choose to make a similar variant without the spicy mayo anyway.

3. Just like #2, there's nothing really wrong with expressing a preference. Giving the sushi chef the wheel is great as long as you're not a back seat driver through the whole trip. While this does require having an open mind and stomach, expressing one or two preferences isn't going to start World War 3. The chef would prefer their customer to be satisfied within reason.

4. Rice is the stickiest thing.

Great advice, thank you smile
Like a buffet?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out