Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Capitalist

9,150 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
it seems like an interesting "in between" between Judaism and Christianity.

I mean of course influenced by Zoroastrianism.
Why would it be?
What social niche would this fill? What group would gain power by its spread?

Original Gaian

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have it a bit backwards.

It seems much more that mainstream Christianity is, conceptually, in between Judaism and Gnosticism.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
It's not "in between" anything. It's a reflection of the degree to which someone can "know" whether their beliefs are true or not.

Noob

Rumblestiltskin
It's not "in between" anything. It's a reflection of the degree to which someone can "know" whether their beliefs are true or not.

Wrong Gnosticism.
A lot of the conspiracy fringe is functional gnosticism.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin

Wrong Gnosticism.

Ummm...no...it's not. Unless you want to clarify what you mean...

Noob

Rumblestiltskin
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin

Wrong Gnosticism.

Um... yes, it is. Gnosticism refers to the subgroups of Early Christianity that many consider heretical today.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin

Wrong Gnosticism.

Um... yes, it is. Gnosticism refers to the subgroups of Early Christianity that many consider heretical today.

....Then shouldn't that be rephrased as "christian gnosticism"...as gnosticism itself is actually a larger concept than just christianity?

Original Gaian

Rumblestiltskin
....Then shouldn't that be rephrased as "christian gnosticism"...as gnosticism itself is actually a larger concept than just christianity?

I think the problem is that you're confusing "Gnosticism" with "agnosticism".

Two different concepts.

Atheism is the opposite of theism, but agnosticism is not the opposite of Gnosticism.

The Wikipedia article for Gnosticism is fairly good and functions as a nice crash course on the subject, though as with anything on Wikipedia, take it with a grain of salt.

Noob

Rumblestiltskin
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin
Cosmic Injustice
Rumblestiltskin

Wrong Gnosticism.

Talk to the OP about that one. razz

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Foppy
Rumblestiltskin

I think the problem is that you're confusing "Gnosticism" with "agnosticism".

Two different concepts.

Atheism is the opposite of theism, but agnosticism is not the opposite of Gnosticism.

The Wikipedia article for Gnosticism is fairly good and functions as a nice crash course on the subject, though as with anything on Wikipedia, take it with a grain of salt.

I'm fully aware of all that, which is why I said that gnosticism isn't between anything...cause gnosticism and agnosticism aren't just different concepts...they're complete opposites. My point was that the thread didn't make much sense, but Cosmic kind of helped shed light on where the confusion was, so it's all good now.

Original Gaian

Rumblestiltskin
I'm fully aware of all that, which is why I said that gnosticism isn't between anything...cause gnosticism and agnosticism aren't just different concepts...they're complete opposites.

That isn't actually the case, though.

Agnosticism is not the opposite of gnosticism. It seems reasonable to think that would be the case, since "a" as a prefix often means the opposite of that thing. Like how atheism is the opposite of theism, or asexual is the opposite of sexual, or asocial is the opposite of social.

But agnosticism isn't the opposite of Gnosticism. In fact, you could be an agnostic Gnostic.

The capital G is useful for remembering this. Gnosticism (capital G) generally refers to religious beliefs involving a demiurge who created the world, and a greater God above that demiurge, and the importance of "gnosis" (esoteric knowledge of some sort). Used today, the term generally refers to Gnostic Christianity or similar beliefs.

There may be arguably be some other definition of "gnosticism" (little g) I'm not well-versed on, but Gnosticism (big G) is its own thing (of course there are many forms of Gnosticism).

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Foppy
Rumblestiltskin
I'm fully aware of all that, which is why I said that gnosticism isn't between anything...cause gnosticism and agnosticism aren't just different concepts...they're complete opposites.

Agnosticism is not the opposite of gnosticism. It seems reasonable to think that would be the case, since "a" as a prefix often means the opposite of that thing. Like how atheism is the opposite of theism, or asexual is the opposite of sexual, or asocial is the opposite of social.

But agnosticism isn't the opposite of Gnosticism. In fact, you could be an agnostic Gnostic.

The capital G is useful for remembering this. Gnosticism (capital G) generally refers to religious beliefs involving a demiurge who created the world, and a greater God above that demiurge, and the importance of "gnosis" (esoteric knowledge of some sort). Used today, the term generally refers to Gnostic Christianity or similar beliefs.

There may be arguably be some other definition of "gnosticism" (little g) I'm not well-versed on, but Gnosticism (big G) is its own thing (of course there are many forms of Gnosticism).

I get that you're talking about something different...but notice how I never capitalized gnosticism....we're clearly talking about two different things here. So, yes..."gnosticism" IS a complete opposite of agnosticism...that just happens to be not what you're talking about...which, to be honest, probably should have been clarified, but it seems like I was the only one who didn't realize what you were talking about because I've never heard it used like that.

Original Gaian

Rumblestiltskin
Foppy
Rumblestiltskin

I get that you're talking about something different...but notice how I never capitalized gnosticism....we're clearly talking about two different things here. So, yes..."gnosticism" IS a complete opposite of agnosticism...that just happens to be not what you're talking about...which, to be honest, probably should have been clarified, but it seems like I was the only one who didn't realize what you were talking about because I've never heard it used like that.

Well, the good thing is that now we're all on the same page. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces